It started out so well.

Options
gpstreet
gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
edited March 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
The day started off ok. Usual breakfast of cup of black tea, muesli with milk. The big difference was this breakfast was taken at 5.30am and not 6.30am (yes I am an early bird :-) ). Plus today was a trip taking my daughter to the hospital so no chance of the usual cycle ride to work and the daily exercise routine.
The problem came when we went to the hospital restaurant and the sight of all that cooked breakfast. I couldn't help myself and just got stuck in. In my defence I did choose the healthy options of sausages, beans, mushrooms and scrambled eggs.
Blimey what a shock when I worked out the calories I had taken and how many calories MFP told me I was over.
Trying to work it off now. Did a 50 minute run and went 7 km. Still I was 186 calories over. Just did 5 minutes of callisthenics but still 86 calories over.

Any ideas how I can burn off that last 86 calories without actually doing anything ? :-)

Replies

• scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    Just eat a few less calories tomorrow.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    yes maybe you could eat 86 less calories tomorrow.

also, i found a link that may help:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1777
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    The day started off ok. Usual breakfast of cup of black tea, muesli with milk. The big difference was this breakfast was taken at 5.30am and not 6.30am (yes I am an early bird :-) ). Plus today was a trip taking my daughter to the hospital so no chance of the usual cycle ride to work and the daily exercise routine.
    The problem came when we went to the hospital restaurant and the sight of all that cooked breakfast. I couldn't help myself and just got stuck in. In my defence I did choose the healthy options of sausages, beans, mushrooms and scrambled eggs.
    Blimey what a shock when I worked out the calories I had taken and how many calories MFP told me I was over.
    Trying to work it off now. Did a 50 minute run and went 7 km. Still I was 186 calories over. Just did 5 minutes of callisthenics but still 86 calories over.

Any ideas how I can burn off that last 86 calories without actually doing anything ? :-)

I think you are worrying too much. If you usually are right on target then a one time 86-calories over your limit makes absolutely no difference and I feel you should do what a slender person would. They enjoy their meal and move on, because they know that over the long run it all evens out.
    If you are however ( and honestly from what I read, I don't think so ) one of those people who go over five times a week, because there is always something that is supposedly out of their control, or because they are entitled to a treat, then you might have to rethink and tweak your diet. But if that is not the case, just move on, because stressing too much over something is also not good for weight loss.
    Good Luck !
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Since food labels can be up to 20% off from actual calorie counts so you have probably been off more than that every day anyway, consider it margin of error and let it go.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're maintaining I'm not sure why this is any sort of issue? To be fair, even if you were losing, this is still not an issue. Hit your weekly target, job done.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

so, you burned 100 calories in 5 minutes 'eh? :huh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

so, you burned 100 calories in 5 minutes 'eh? :huh:

Yeah that's doubtful.

That being said, I hate those days when I get up earlier and hungry because I know it's going to be a struggle all day!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    While I try my best to stick to my daily calorie goal, I average out my calories for the week... Im human, some days I'll be under, other days Ill be over. As long as as it balances out over a weeks time, I feel accomplished and my progress so far reflects the weekly balance regardless of the days Im way over or way under.

If I were to be so focused on the day to day to the point that 86 calories freaked me out, I would drive myself insane! lol Its okay, honest. Just focus on balance.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    It does make me wonder if the calories allocated to exercise are accurate in MFP. It wasn't 5 minutes of calithnetics but 4 minutes :-) I managed to burn off the excess calories through cycling and lumbering a load of growbags around the allotment. Good enough for me to think food intake including the bout of weakness was matched by the run and bits and pieces. My big worry is how to avoid those bouts of weaknesses in the future. I can resist everything except temptation.
  • Dragn77
    Options
    Yeah, I only count half my workout calories towards my goal to account for over estimating exercise calories and underestimating food calories.

But seriously, dont stress and worry so much about avoiding temptation. You're human, you are going to have bouts of weaknesses...dont set yourself up for failure by expecting perfection. Log it and make up for it during the rest of the week with some balance.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    186 calories? Not to worry. Skip an apple tomorrow and go for a 10 minute walk.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you're maintaining I'm not sure why this is any sort of issue? To be fair, even if you were losing, this is still not an issue. Hit your weekly target, job done.

I agree hit your weekly target and you're done.

But it's worse to go over when you maintain than when you are at a deficit. If you go over on a deficit you go towards maintenance. When you consistently go over on maintenance you gain weight. There's a lot less buffer.
  • Cindeeee
    Cindeeee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Remember that your body burns calories while you sit or sleep. You'll be fine. Don't wear yourself out.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Cindeeee wrote: »
    Remember that your body burns calories while you sit or sleep. You'll be fine. Don't wear yourself out.

Crikey, checked in this morning and have lost 600grams. I thought yesterday was a bad day with my lapse in control. I must of been running a marathon in my sleep.

It does make me wonder if actions (calorie intake, burn etc) only have a reaction a few days later.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow, when I read the title to this post I was thinking it was going to be a story of someone that had made good progress or was maintaining who unraveled everything. lol

OP, as the others have said, this is one day. Treat it as such. I can tell you I had days like this last year and I just brushed them off, and moved on. And yes, I reached my goal weight (and then some).

As you saw on the scale, sometimes stuff doesn't always reflect right away - or at all. Not worth worrying about. Keep at it! :)
  • sansaeverdeen
    sansaeverdeen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is the most British OP I've ever seen.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Sansaverdeen - Was it the reference to Great British breakfast that gave it away ? Or the obsessive focus on the details ? :-)
  • Dragn77
    Options
    For me..it was the use of the word "calisthenics" ... which is actually rather adorable...

Sort of reminds me of a guy who always referred to condoms as prophylactics ...'twas not adorable though.
  • gpstreet
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    For me..it was the use of the word "calisthenics" ... which is actually rather adorable...

Sort of reminds me of a guy who always referred to condoms as prophylactics ...'twas not adorable though.

I did look through the MFP database for sits-up and pushups but they seem to be classed as calisthenics.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Hope everything is ok with your daughter.