cannot believe i did this

Options
I just did something that I have no idea why I did it. no wonder I cant get going. I stopped at a convenient store this morning and I walked by their rolls, OMGOSH!!! they have a blueberry fritter and fried croissants. and they were on special, buy one get one.. so I got two each because ya know why not! and I did the unthinkable, I ate all four of them. I feel completely horrible about this, I looked in the mirror and guess what I see, the big fat rolls! my stomach looks huge! I ate over 1600 calories for breakfast! what the heck! I want to make myself throw-up!!!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Please don't make yourself throw up. That's a really bad road to go down.

Log it, accept it and move on. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • Songbird61377
    Songbird61377 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You did what most of us have done at some point, don't beat yourself up.
  • KyleeNicolle
    KyleeNicolle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Aww I've had days like that. I used to restrict things instead of eating in moderation. I haven't binged in a long long time because I don't cut out anything. I am disciplined but if I want junk or anything bad like that I just work out more that day or compromise something else for the junk I want lol. You're not a failure or anything and one day isn't going to ruin you!
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    thank you guys, I really don't deprive myself sweet things, but 4 rolls, what was I thinking. ugh! I know its one day, but I feel like it happens a lot more frequently than I'd like. sometimes I think I have a different personality at times that just makes me do things like that. I will work out extra hard tonight! Hopefully that will make me feel better too! sweat out the sugars!!!
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Log it and move on

Yes. The key is to keep going. Don't fall into the "I'll start over on Monday" mentality.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    1600 calories is fewer than half of the excess calories needed to gain one pound.

Log it, eat sensibly for the rest of the day.

When you're ready, think about whether you really *tasted* the rolls, and whether they actually tasted good. If so, 400 calories once every couple of weeks is no big deal. Just work it in to your week, or accept that a 400 calorie one-off is less than 1/8 of a pound's worth of calories.

Losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle isn't about punishing ourselves. It's about learning what matters and making choices that work in the long term.

Trends, not days.
  • redoakcircus
    Options

That's not science. It's just some person's blog.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Treat it as a lesson learned, and move past it. But figure out what that lesson is. Maybe you've been working at it too hard, and if you'd had more sustainable deficit or less restrictive diet, you wouldn't have felt the need to eat them all and one would have sufficed and fit your goals. Maybe you just need to make a point of only buying BOGO specials when you're with someone you can share them with.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on

yup. it will all be okay. heck look at my food diary from yesterday!

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    Log it and move on

@dawnna76 That is impressive!
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This is science, from a Google Scholar search. This is a summary of a peer-reviewed research paper.

Intense Sweetness Surpasses Cocaine Reward
    journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0000698http://

From the conclusion (bold italics added by me):

"Our findings clearly demonstrate that intense sweetness can surpass cocaine reward, even in drug-sensitized and -addicted individuals. We speculate that the addictive potential of intense sweetness results from an inborn hypersensitivity to sweet tastants. In most mammals, including rats and humans, sweet receptors evolved in ancestral environments poor in sugars and are thus not adapted to high concentrations of sweet tastants. The supranormal stimulation of these receptors by sugar-rich diets, such as those now widely available in modern societies, would generate a supranormal reward signal in the brain, with the potential to override self-control mechanisms and thus to lead to addiction.

And yes, all you can do is log it and go forward, but go forward knowing that some people are so stimulated by sugar that a bite is never enough, moderation is next to impossible, and there is such a thing as addiction to some foods.

I've done that same thing with convenience store pastries. I did it so many times over the years that I ended up hating myself and developed diabetes, which I just learned this week. You don't want that, because if you develop diabetes, the choice to eat sugary sweets will no longer be based on the calories as they affect your weight loss. It will be based on the risk of landing yourself in the hospital.

So, forgive yourself, move on, and promise yourself you won't do it again. There is really no other option. If you were to purge after a binge like that, you might find, "Hey, that works!" And then you'd be on the slipperly slope to a really bad eating disorder.
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think we have all done this. I have eaten a whole sleeve of girl scout cookies and felt sick, then thought wtf lol just move on for sure.
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The "black girl" begins the will power series with a more casual tone, but further on in the series it does get meatier, and she does cite her sources. @redoakcircus‌

@tinascar2015‌ Thank you for the reference. I'm sorry you developed diabetes. God be with you on your journey to better health.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Last night i ate a huge plate of pasta. It happens. Don't beat yourself down
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    Log it and move on

@dawnna76 That is impressive!

IT WAS MY KIDS BIRTHDAY :)
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Today is our office Pi day celebration. So much pie! I had pie for breakfast and lunch, this is going to be a go-over calorie limit day, and I don't really mind, because it is only once in a blue moon that we do this.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Please don't make yourself throw up. That's a really bad road to go down.

Log it, accept it and move on. Tomorrow is a new day.

This. Especially the bold
  • Mikolinz
    Mikolinz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i made a similar post earlier this week about eating two large chocolate bars and feeling disgusted with myself. the people here were so helpful and told me to log it and carry on. so thats what i did, and this week has been my best week yet. so just put it behind you and do better tomorrow. we all have moments of weakness!