Daily Water Intake

Options
How do most of you make it a point to drink enough water every day? And what is considered enough? I've always heard that you are supposed to take your body weight and cut it in half and whatever that number is - that's how many ounces of water you should drink daily. Is this correct?

I am 174 lbs currently so that would mean I need to drink 87ounces of water a day. Is there such thing as drinking too much water? And what are some tips on the best way to make sure you do drink enough? Also- is it bad to drink a full 16 or 20ounces in one sitting just to be sure you "get it out of the way"??

thoughts?

Replies

• krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i drink water all day i usually stay under 70oz
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just make sure i drink atleast 64oz of water a day, I have a Hospital Mug 32oz and i fill it twice a day
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I personally never drink enough water. I have come close a few times, but I went from drinking 1 20oz bottle of pepsi a day to now trying to drink 95 ounces of liquid each day. I do try to at least do 2 32oz bottles every day, but even that doesn't happen a lot of the time. I find myself only meeting even half my goal on days that I work out (I finish an entire bottle during a workout).
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My water bottle is attached to my arm (or I pretend it is). Every time I empty the water bottle, which is 18 ounces, I put a rubber band around it. I weigh 199 pounds, so I need to drink it about 5.5 times. When there are five rubber bands on the bottle, I detach it from my arm, and drink only when I am thirsty! :wink:
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I try to set mini goals throughout the day of how much water to drink (i.e., 4 cups before lunch, 4 cups before dinner) to keep me on track. I typically drink 9 or 10 cups a day, and up to 15 or 16 when I'm doing cardio and sweat a lot. I also try to drink more than normal if I've had a lot of sodium, have alcohol, or caffeine.

Edit: I have a Nalgene bottle that sits next to me all day at work, I drink water with lunch and dinner, and always bring a glass to bed with me.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love love love my Nalgene water bottle! I try to fill it up and drink it twice a day.. Or more. It goes with me EVERYWHERE!!!

I also have a hard plastic glass with a straw that I use.. Using straws helps me drink more.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It actually is bad to force down a lot of water at one time. I keep a 32 oz. bottle at my desk and sip constantly throughout the day usually consuming at least 3 liters.
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    164 ounces daily, plain, with lemon slices or cucumber slices.....
  • Kritter8682
    Kritter8682 Posts: 29
    Options
    My water bottle is attached to my arm (or I pretend it is). Every time I empty the water bottle, which is 18 ounces, I put a rubber band around it. I weigh 199 pounds, so I need to drink it about 5.5 times. When there are five rubber bands on the bottle, I detach it from my arm, and drink only when I am thirsty! :wink:

i love this idea!!! i will try my best to start doing that!!
  • BreeWilder
    BreeWilder Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar insulated bottle that holds 24 oz. I drink 3 of those a day and anything beyond that is extra. I think your calculation is right too. I try to get to 6 glasses by lunch to keep myself on track and I take my water bottle EVERYWHERE.
  • alibslim
    alibslim Posts: 16
    Options
    I went to my local WalMart and got a water jug that holds 64oz of water. I fill it every morning when I get to work and I make sure to drink it all before I leave. I only count what water I measure so i keep a 2cup measuring cup in the water dispencer of my fridge. If I drink tea or a soda I drink twice as much water as the other. Just do what you can don't push it to much. To me enough is enough when you start to feel sick.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    164 ounces a day?? That is definitely too much water!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Here's a pretty decent article on it from The Mayo Clinic. Also keep in mind when you drink excessive amounts of water you put abnormal pressure on vital organs, as well as flush out needed vitamins and minerals and meds that are water soluble.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • srenebailey
    srenebailey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Everywhere I've ever read states that we all need to drink 64 oz of water per day. I've heard that theory about the half the body weight, but I've never heard that from a professional. I have 2 of those water bottles that hold 32 oz of water. At night I fill those up for the next day and refrigerate it. Every day, I drink on those two bottles of water until they are both empty. That's the easiest way for me to keep up with water intake.

Another option, if the 2 bottle trick doesn't work with you, is to make sure you get 4 of those 16 oz bottles of water in per day. So, if I'm on the run, and I'm at a restaurant or store that sells those, I get one and before you know it, I've finished it off.

And sometimes, I do drink 16 oz or 20 oz just to get it out of the way, but when I do that, I find that I have to "run" to the bathroom soon after, so I just sip on the water often throughout the day.

Hope all this helps.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am pretty religeous about driking my water. I think it has really helped in my weight loss. I have a 24 oz bottle I refill and drink from through out the day and on week days, I usually get my 8 cups and then some. On weekends, I may not be quite as good, but I find that I am recognizing thirst much better now then before. It also is a good substitute for snacking. I drink water instead.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I've always heard 8-10 8 ounces glasses a day!
  • fatlass70
    fatlass70 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To answer your question - yes you can drink too much but it takes a LOT to be at that stage. I've read that we should be drinking 8 x 8oz cups per day (so 64oz - or approx 2 litres).

I have a 1.5L bottle on my desk at work and fill it each morning. I always have a glass of water on the go and am now easily getting through 1.5L during my working hours so I'm finding myself re-filling now. I also drink water at home but slow down lots so I'm not up all night visiting the smallest room!!

At weekends I have a large jug which I keep in the fridge and add fresh lemon or lime slices to it. I get through 2 of those a day without really trying.

For me the trick is to keep a glass with me at all times and just sip from it. It has quickly become a habit.

My final tip is that whenever I'm hungry or want to snack i try and make myself have a glass of water first - often we mistake hunger for thirst so the drink will do the job. Of course it may just be a distraction but it works!

Good luck!
  • srenebailey
    srenebailey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just read some of the other posts, and saw the one with the link from Mayo Clinic. That is the 1st time I've ever read anything from a professional that stated anything other than 64 oz of water. Thanks, "ValueMe" for the information.
  • LettingItAllGo
    Options
    I was having a real hard time getting enough water so a little over a month ago I made the decision to drink only water, green tea with my treat being a Timmy's coffee mocha. I have been cutting down the coffee mocha to 1 a week. I have lost 10lbs since making this change.

I have also started drinking waters that have a higher ph balance. I have been drinking Fiji, Redleaf and Easka water. These waters taste so good that I do not mind giving up juice and pop. I am not crazy about all the bottles but I do recycle them.

I have not really kept track of how much I drink in a day, however I will start that now that I have broken the habit of drinking pop and juice.
  • Ibe_Theninja
    Options
    I like to drink at least 4 of the 16 oz bottles a day and then sip here and there... from what the dr said.... 8- 8oz glasses a day at least for me. hope this helps