Any Homeschooling Workout Moms???

Options
Hi! My name's Sandy and I'm a homeschooling mom of 6 kids. When my kids were in public school it was SO much easier to find time to workout but ever since we started HSing 9 years ago it isn't quite so convenient. In over the past 6 years I've gained 60 lbs!!

Replies

• patj06
    patj06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not home schooling but I am a Mum and it must be really hard to find the time to workout with 6 children end of, never mind the home schooling too so well done for even thinking about doing a workout at the beginning or end of your hectic day!! My secret is get a pedometer and count your steps and you would be amazed how much you already do. It also encourages you to do your 10,000 steps every day, once you get doing that and notice the increase in your fitness then I just try and workout 2-3 days a week. I do mine when my son's in bed, say 8pm every night. It stops me sitting on the sofa eating biscuits!!! Good luck and hope you meet your goals!
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a homeschooling mom. I only have two though. It got easier to workout once they got old enough to stay home for a little bit by themselves.
  • amywillloseit2015
    amywillloseit2015 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a mom of a 12 year old son who does virtual school. It is public school at home. We chose this school because of the issue with bullies. I have started to go to the gym and to try to lose about 50 lbs. My son will be able to go with me as soon as he turns 13 which is next month. My daughter goes with me once in a while but i would love some encouragement to get up and get moving. You can add me if you would like to.
  • sandydubon
    Options
    @patj06‌ thank you for the handy tips. I'll give them a try.
  • sandydubon
    Options
    @kportwood85‌ Ironically, my kids ARE older but I still have a hard time getting to the gym. They're 16;15;13;12;12;and 9. It's really more about me being able to prioritize my time to exercise. I have an elliptical at home that I'll be using and I just discovered Walk Away the Pounds so I'll use that too.
  • sandydubon
    Options
    @amywillloseit2015‌ I love going to the gym too but it's difficult to get there. Mostly because I feel guilty leaving the kids to do something for myself. We just recently got a family membership at our YMCA so as soon as my kids take the mandatory jr member class I'll be bringing them with me. Hopefully that'll help with my consistency. BTW we started out HS with a virtual academy too
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have four that we've homeschooled from the beginning. When they were younger I did DVDs at home but now that they're old enough to leave I go to the gym. I don't feel bad leaving them for a time because I need it, am a better mom if I have a little time to my self and I'm setting an example that taking care of your own health and well being is important. They are happy to let me go because they get to be at home without me and I'm much less grumpy when I come back! Well, if they've done what they're supposed to while I'm gone anyway. ;)
  • amywillloseit2015
    amywillloseit2015 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    sandydubon wrote: »
    @amywillloseit2015‌ I love going to the gym too but it's difficult to get there. Mostly because I feel guilty leaving the kids to do something for myself. We just recently got a family membership at our YMCA so as soon as my kids take the mandatory jr member class I'll be bringing them with me. Hopefully that'll help with my consistency. BTW we started out HS with a virtual academy too

We just got a membership at planet fitness and we can take one guest with us a day so my husband and I will go and we can take the kids. We figure it can count as family time and physical education at the same time. Everyone need exercise. I say have the kids work out with you so it isn't you doing something only for yourself it is for the whole family :)