Nasty cough, recommendations for quieting/curing it

Options
I have a job interview coming up soon, and I don't wish to be coughing through it. I hope to be rid of it beforehand, but just in case, does anyone have any recommendations for home remedies or OTC medicines that have really worked for you? Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Sorry, if I posted in the wrong area. I could not figure out where would be the most appropriate.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide
  • orr_stacie
    orr_stacie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    pineapple juice works
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Boil some fennel seeds (like 1 tsp), in water for about 10 minutes. I usually bring the water to a boil and then simmer it for 10 minutes. Add some honey and drink. Fennel is also a digestive aid so please do not take it right before an interview.

Also, licorice root powder is good but I think if you have certain medical conditions, then use with care

1 Tsp of honey with some black pepper sprinkled on is also good. Have some water after to wash it down
  • Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Pineapple juice followed by honey
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, will have to give them a try. :)
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    codeine cough syrup
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have you tried throat coat tea? It is very soothing and might be of some help to you.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Honey + lemon juice & a lemon slice + hot water = honey lemon tea
    Honey + ginger (I know this sounds awful) + hot water = honey ginger tea!

Soothes the itch and urge to cough for me personally. :)
  • trogers2015
    Options
    Aloe Vera juice with with a bottle of water .
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hot toddy--honey, lemon, whiskey, and hot water.
  • IndigoSpider
    IndigoSpider Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    votkuhr wrote: »
    Honey + lemon juice & a lemon slice + hot water = honey lemon tea
    Honey + ginger (I know this sounds awful) + hot water = honey ginger tea!

Soothes the itch and urge to cough for me personally. :)

I second this hot lemon honey remedy (haven't tried the honey ginger but will next time!). I also recommend elderberry syrup. That pretty much knocks any cold/flu bug out pretty quick.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've also been battling a nasty cough this week and I agree with the hot lemon honey water. I put 1 tablespoon honey and two slices of fresh Lemmon in a mug of water. I heat it in the microwave until hot and sip in bed at night. I am feeling better today, but I think ill have a cup tonight anyway because it is so yummy!
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of suggestions. Tried the fennel and honey, it definitely helped for several hours. Will try the lemon honey water next.