Diet breaks

Options
2»

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I took about 7 weeks off in November and December because I was so frustrated with logging and exercising and not a whole lot happening on the scale. I still tried to be mindful about how much I ate and limited fast food and pop during this time. I maintained the weight that I was at and since I have gotten serious again about logging and working out in the last two months, I am finding it easier to stay within my goal and motivated to do what I need to do to lose the weight in a healthy and sustainable way. I think it mentally helped me to realize that I needed to quit making myself miserable over losing weight. I may not lose the weight as quickly as I want to, but I feel immensely better about reaching my ultimate weight loss goals.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like vismals diet break video. It definitely prompted me to take one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0jqAXpjCV0
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I took a break from logging in general this January because of a bad accident. I completely ignored calories and wasn't mindful of portions but it is what it is. I started logging at maintenance when I got home and plan on staying there until I'm good to go. I've been eating more sweets than usual but I fit them into my calories, still eat my fruits and veggies, and get a fair amount of protein in so I don't really care.

Under normal circumstances, I typically take a day off logging a month. I've done well so far.
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, had the weekend off. Stopped stressing about 3 meals etc and was naughty (had pizza and fried chicken) but cut down to prevent a complete binge. I was mindful of what I ate and tried to stick within maintenance calories.

Half a pound heavier this morning but I took my eye off the ball on fluid intake and probably had a lot of sodium so I'm not to worried. Today I feel motivated and back on it.

Todays meals are planned as is tomorrows lunch x
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont take deliberate breaks, but vacation weeks, the week of xmas, birthdays, things like that, I relax and set my calories at maintenance and don't worry so much about it.

I'm big on you have to enjoy life and enjoy your family and be flexible.

I do keep exercising during those times, though.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose I was "on break" last week. It was my birthday and I ate out, ate cake, and a couple of heavy meals. I have a gain on my weight.

Very shocking that 1 week of not being on point lead to gaining so much!

Anyway, today is Monday and a new week to get back to it.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Question:

What time frame do most of you guys recommend for a diet break if you've been dieting for 4 months (with maintenance days one day each week)?
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I take breaks, sometimes for several months. I find that it is important to change to the goal of maintenance, rather than just going hog-wild and potentially regaining the weight. I feel empowered knowing that I can not only lose weight while I am dieting, but I can keep it off when I am not. It still takes effort to maintain, but not as much as dieting.
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Question:

What time frame do most of you guys recommend for a diet break if you've been dieting for 4 months (with maintenance days one day each week)?

I eat whatever I want one day a week, but the definition of "whatever I want" has changed radically since I was 315 pounds. For instance, now I will split a Coke with my husband, or have 1/4 chocolate bar. I will eat two dinners until I'm a little full, but not totally full, and I also exercise a lot on my "break" day.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Thinking of weight loss/maintenance as a "diet" is the wrong way of thinking about it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Question:

When I was in the thick of it, losing weight, I liked 1-2 week breaks. That's enough time to feel refreshed and by the end of it I was usually itching to get back to work losing weight.
  • tephanies1234
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Question:

When I was in the thick of it, losing weight, I liked 1-2 week breaks. That's enough time to feel refreshed and by the end of it I was usually itching to get back to work losing weight.

Ya, psychologically I can keep "dieting" but I'm on day two of my diet break and physically I'm feeling better now, so I guess my body needs it!
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How are you guys defining breaks?

No logging?
    Eating in wanton abandon?
    Logging at a maintenance?

I'm not ready for a break yet. I'm hoping, though, that eventually I will be able to maintain healthy eating habits without having to log every single morsel that I put into my mouth.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I've taken a "break" while on vacation. It was a break from being highly aware of every calorie I was consuming, and I chose not to track due to eating out often. That being said...I took many good habits on my vacation with me. Ate lots of fruits and veggies, chose lighter options, chose lean proteins, drank tons of water and limited alchohol. It worked out fine for me and didn't hurt my streak...I showed a small gain when back from vacation but it came right off the following week.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I like vismals diet break video. It definitely prompted me to take one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0jqAXpjCV0

I like what he had to say and it seemed to fall in line with other opinions I've read/heard. Does anyone take a diet break once a week? How do you do it?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    50452 wrote: »

No logging?

I'm not ready for a break yet. I'm hoping, though, that eventually I will be able to maintain healthy eating habits without having to log every single morsel that I put into my mouth.

I eat at maintenance and log and exercise as usual. It's not "go crazy and pig out" time for me.
  • tephanies1234
    Options
    50452 wrote: »

No logging?

As in described here:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/