Why aren't I losing weight?

Options
I've been here for about two weeks i suppose. I eat at or under my calorie, carb, protein, and fat goals, and i exercise more than needed. The only reason i don't eat the number of suggested calories is because i'm not that hungry all the time. I haven't lost any weight though.

Replies

• wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    same here
  • wannabskinny85
    Options
    I cant see the types of foods you are eating. so i will give general advice. stay away or limit processed foods.this is my biggest issue. theres tons of sodium which causes you to retain fluid and you won't lose any weight. are you eating enough? are you exercising too much? there could be many reasons. have you tried zig zagging your calories? i wish you the best of luck and hope you start losing soon! also keep track of your inches because you could be losing those first
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I got stuck when I ate all my calories. Try to up ur cals with snacks..u will feel like ur constantly eating. Eat healthy things that are higher in cals..Peanut butter is what I use when I need to up my cals! You can do it..don't quit. When I increase my cals..my weight started dropping off!
  • Renea_Kay
    Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Are you getting at least 1200 calories, if not you're starving your body...then it holds fat!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    did you set the correct goal for yourself?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

just because you're reaching your goal, doesn't mean it's the RIGHT goal for you.
  • mom2jacob
    mom2jacob Posts: 54
    Options
    i am in the same boat actually i have gained 2lbs. i feel like giving up like whats the point in doing this and seeing no results. if anybody has any suggestions please give them. im heading to the gym tonight after my hubby gets home for an hr or more. i have never exercised this much and it doesn't feel good not losing anything and gaining. i do cardio and weights. im now in bigger pants and am fixing to bust out of those. SO PLEASE HELP!!
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. I know it sounds like it defeats the purpose, but it will work. The human body needs calories to survive and will lower the metabolism if there are not enough calories. Read up on the zig-zag posts everying is talking about too. Also.... Buy some 250 calorie protein bars. The myoplex chocolate peanut butter is to die for! Might want to try washing your breakfast down with a protein shake too. I think that will help.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I cant see the types of foods you are eating. so i will give general advice. stay away or limit processed foods.this is my biggest issue. theres tons of sodium which causes you to retain fluid and you won't lose any weight. are you eating enough? are you exercising too much? there could be many reasons. have you tried zig zagging your calories? i wish you the best of luck and hope you start losing soon! also keep track of your inches because you could be losing those first

This. don't give up!
  • Nenachaos
    Nenachaos Posts: 13
    Options
    eating enough is a big part of losing weight !!!!! If you dont eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and will prevent you from losing weight .......Trying using a cleanse to jump start your metabolisim the slimquick detox and cleanse works well then remember there should be no more than a 700 calorie deficit in your diet meaning if you are supposed to eat 1900 calories to maintain your weight you can eat no fewer than 1200 calories . Watch your fat and sodium intake as sodium will make you retain water and weigh more. Lots of protein and drink at least 80 oz of water per day and you should see a change within 7-10 days also in order to buils muscle properly and lose weight your body needs rest so of you work out 7 days a week cut it back to 6 hope that helps Good luck
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat actually i have gained 2lbs. i feel like giving up like whats the point in doing this and seeing no results. if anybody has any suggestions please give them. im heading to the gym tonight after my hubby gets home for an hr or more. i have never exercised this much and it doesn't feel good not losing anything and gaining. i do cardio and weights. im now in bigger pants and am fixing to bust out of those. SO PLEASE HELP!!

This might explain your weight gain, and maybe for some their lack of loss early on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis
  • gwenniegirl
    Options
    IT depends on what you eat also it takes time. It is almost summer so it has to take a few years
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    will give the protein shakes and bars a go thanks for the tip
  • brendi_lynn
    brendi_lynn Posts: 19
    Options
    But the thing is, i am not hungry for all of my calories every day. :(
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

what is your deficit goal?
  • mom2jacob
    mom2jacob Posts: 54
    Options
    rileysowner thank you so much!! i def am feeling sore for a day or two afterwards!!
  • brendi_lynn
    Options
    How do i find that again?
    My suggested calorie intake is 1,330.
    Before i started MFP, i thought i ate alot. but my calorie intake is always significantly less than suggested!
    But usually it goes way higher from exercise.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I've read that this can happen if you have been eating too few calories for a long time. Try the protein shakes and bars that people mentioned. I just had a Larabar yesterday. It was tiny, but packed 240 calories and it tasted like dessert! My kinda calorie filler! Walnuts and Macadamia nuts are high in calories for a small serving and extremely healthy for you as well. 2 Tbls of peanut butter is 190 calories, so if you like peanut butter, a big spoonful is great without being too filling.

Another question: How soon do you eat from the time you get up in the morning? I used to wait until I got to work to eat (2-2 1/2 hrs after I get up) and now I try to eat something before I get out of the house. My body is a great hoarder of fat (it's had years of practice!), so I have to do a lot of little things to convince it that it is not starving. This is one of them. Even if it is that scoop of peanut butter, try to eat something as soon as you can after you wake up.

Keep working at it and eventually your body will start cooperating.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Before i started MFP, i thought i ate alot. but my calorie intake is always significantly less than suggested!

when you started, MFP walked you through a goals wizard.

You know what, just give your height, weight, age, activity level, and exercise routine, I'll figure it out for you. It'll be an educated guess, but really, anyone who doesn't ask for this type of basic information but tells you that you need to eat more doesn't understand calories. The MINIMUM knowledge you need to give any kind of advice is what I'm asking for.
  • brendi_lynn
    Options

I've read that this can happen if you have been eating too few calories for a long time. Try the protein shakes and bars that people mentioned. I just had a Larabar yesterday. It was tiny, but packed 240 calories and it tasted like dessert! My kinda calorie filler! Walnuts and Macadamia nuts are high in calories for a small serving and extremely healthy for you as well. 2 Tbls of peanut butter is 190 calories, so if you like peanut butter, a big spoonful is great without being too filling.

Another question: How soon do you eat from the time you get up in the morning? I used to wait until I got to work to eat (2-2 1/2 hrs after I get up) and now I try to eat something before I get out of the house. My body is a great hoarder of fat (it's had years of practice!), so I have to do a lot of little things to convince it that it is not starving. This is one of them. Even if it is that scoop of peanut butter, try to eat something as soon as you can after you wake up.

Keep working at it and eventually your body will start cooperating.

Thanks. I know i can do it because i recently lost 11 lbs from giving up dairy. And i do try to eat when i first wake up. Even if its just a cupcake! (i know that it's not healthy, but i guess it's better than nothing! Where do i get these so called "protein shakes" ? Can i make them myself? How much do they cost? I am really really tight on money.
  • brendi_lynn
    Options

when you started, MFP walked you through a goals wizard.

You know what, just give your height, weight, age, activity level, and exercise routine, I'll figure it out for you. It'll be an educated guess, but really, anyone who doesn't ask for this type of basic information but tells you that you need to eat more doesn't understand calories. The MINIMUM knowledge you need to give any kind of advice is what I'm asking for.

4'11''
    Moderately active.
    I do at least light exercise for 45 minutes a day, and more than 45 minutes of hard exercise every other day.
    Oh, and this is just a note: i have a very muscular body, just with a good bit of fat over my very-muscular core. other than that, i basically wanna slim down because i want to be able to see my core. im not a "fat" person, i just want to be fit without being fat. from my understanding, a 149 lb 16 year old with a height like me is NOT good. ps. my upper chest area is to blame also. :[
This discussion has been closed.