Plateaus suck!

Options
I am still sitting at a plateau. I am following everything to a T. I have this site set at losing 2 lbs per week. I never go over my calories per day and I am working out 6 days per week. But for almost a month now my scale is set at the same point. To top it off my clothes fit EXACTLY the same. Ugh!! I even changed my workouts 2 weeks ago to change it up. It never used to be this hard.....30 sucks! I really don't know how much longer I can keep up my routine if nothing is changing. I even started making sure I am drinking 8 glasses of H2O per day. I am trying so hard but my body seems to be working against me. Should I drop my calories even more? I really don't feel like I should....2 lbs per week is more than enough. has anyone else had a similar event.....did you start losing eventually? I need SOMETHING!!!!!

Replies

• jjcoop2003
    Options
    I am still sitting at a plateau. I am following everything to a T. I have this site set at losing 2 lbs per week. I never go over my calories per day and I am working out 6 days per week. But for almost a month now my scale is set at the same point. To top it off my clothes fit EXACTLY the same. Ugh!! I even changed my workouts 2 weeks ago to change it up. It never used to be this hard.....30 sucks! I really don't know how much longer I can keep up my routine if nothing is changing. I even started making sure I am drinking 8 glasses of H2O per day. I am trying so hard but my body seems to be working against me. Should I drop my calories even more? I really don't feel like I should....2 lbs per week is more than enough. has anyone else had a similar event.....did you start losing eventually? I need SOMETHING!!!!!
  • zarzoo
    zarzoo Posts: 21
    Options
    Sometimes the body will go into shock! if your not used to working out six days a week? and the lactic acid the body produces when we work out weights heavier? so work out 3 to 4 times week every orther day and drink more water.

:flowerforyou:
  • k9powerlifter
    Options
    Find another goal to keep you motivated. I suggest a goal in the physical realm. For instance train to run an 8 minute mile average for a 5K or train to bench your body weight for 20 reps. Sometimes if all you focus is on weightloss and it isn't happening you will slowly fade away. Also, another I like to do is challenge a friend to a race and train for that.....there are so many things you can come up with to give you more goals then just weight loss.

Along with weight loss I'm training for a friendly competition with a group of friends and also training for some challenging hikes this spring/summer. If you were interested our competition consist of these events: (we do this all in one day)

- Lowest body fat
    - 100 m dash
    - Bench you weight for reps
    - Pull ups for reps
    - Sit ups for reps
    - The Plank for time
    - The Incline (one mile hike w/ a 2000 ft elevation gain in Manitou Springs CO )

So you see after the most important for me (weight/body fat loss) I have to train hard for this comp. So I shouldn't lose motivation to train. Give it a try.
  • stratton
    Options
    [/quoteHang in there.....I know it sucks but all of a sudden it will change. It happens all the time. T he body is fighting to hang onto all it can. I know this from experience. Just when you are ready to pitch the whole thing....it will move again...stay tough....it will move down.....:drinker:
  • rou_pl
    rou_pl Posts: 7
    Options
    Don't drop your calorie intake. I'd suggest increasing it. Change your goal to 1 lb/week. Eating more will speed up your metabolism. You can even change goal to maintain your weight for couple of days, then switch back to 1 or 2 lbs per week. Try calorie cycling (1-3 days higher then 1-3 days lower). Also change the proportions of protein. fat and carbs, and see if that works for you.

It seems your body got used to the way you eat and exercise. You need a change. Try your exercises in a different order, increase intensity, or try another exercises. Make sure your training consists of both cardio and strength training.

I just broke a plateau myself by eating a little more and trying another exercise routine. Keep your body guessing, so that it never adjusts for too long :).
  • tammylynn1
    Options
    Just a thought, if you haven't had a medical check up lately, that might be a good idea. Sometimes underlying medical reasons can effect weight loss, such as thyroid problems.
    good luck!
  • jjcoop2003
    Options
    Those are all great ideas. I haven't tried the calorie cycling. Guess I could give that a go....couldn't hurt...LOL! Thanks for some great ideas :)