Military Basic Training Help!!

Options
Hey I'm trying to get in shape before I enroll into the military. I don't wanna be "that guy" at basic training who can't keep up. Plus I could lose a couple pounds anyway. Anyone have advice to get started and keep it up?

Replies

• mirandaa1985
    mirandaa1985 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If you're going Army then get good at lots and lots of push ups. Also try to hold plank as long as possible. When I was in basic we were in the front lean and rest for what felt like forever all the time lol. Pretty much just be able to pass the pt test. You can Google to see what the standard is for your age.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Depends on the branch. If it's the Marine Corps, start running and learn to love it.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not sure if things have changed much since when I went to basic (back in '95) but for what its worth... I walked 2 miles to and from school each day, and also would go hiking in the valleys by my home for a couple hours after school each day....just because. That was it as far as physical fitness goes.

I think upon going to Basic, I had to be able to do 3 pushups and 10 situps...something like that? Otherwise, youd end up hanging out in reception until you were able to do them. I just barely knocked out 3 pushups with good form, the sit-ups were easy enough. But yeah, I wasnt in HORRIBLE shape, but I wasnt in good shape either.

Basic training took care of that. It kicked my butt. And honestly, even of the people who were in great shape coming in...it kicked their butt too. Everyone was getting their butts kicked. Everyone was struggling. Everyone was "that guy" who couldn't keep up. LoL (Oh, except one girl who we called GI Jane...she was a beast. Even the guys were like dang...I dont think she was human though LoL)

Only thing you have to feel bad about is if you quit. All these years later, I *still* remember standing next to this guy who was at least 6'5" (Im 5'10" and was looking up at him) built like a rock, seemed to be in great shape....*crying* that he couldnt do this anymore and wanted to go home. I remember thinking...WTF I havnt even finished puberty yet, Im still technically a little girl and I'm not close to giving up!!!

and I stayed...and I got my butt kicked, and I graduated along with everyone else who could hang. A few others dropped out and went home too, but that guy...I will never forget him. Thats the "that guy" you dont wanna be...! LoL
  • GM3Z
    GM3Z Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I planned on either army or marines, and especially need to get my but in gear for running because I'm not a very strong runner. Thanks for the tips. That's a good story. I'm only 5ft and I don't like quitting so I'm hoping it will all go over well. Thank you all!
  • Dragn77
    Options
    You'll do fine. As long as you want it bad enough and dont quit, your DS will be there "motivating" you all the way. And I put that in quotes cause you'll sometimes feel like their job is to kill you LOL but they really do want to push you and help you succeed...being loud and annoying is just a perk of the job ;) On day one you will loathe them, by graduation, you will love them...

Also, for running, we were split up into groups based on our run times for our morning runs... that way, you were with people who were as good (or as bad, in my case) at running as you are, and they are able to help you get a better run time and move onto the next group from there. Then, at a certain point, everyone is able to (and expected to) run together as a unit in formation.
  • Dragn77
    Options
    But again, its been 20 years since I went to basic.. I've heard things have gotten a bit "easier" shall I say? Not sure how much truth is in that. But I just think that if me, a total geek bookworm who snuck out of gym class and completely uncoordinated was able to do it...I think anyone can. No one..*no one* thought that I was military material and wouldn make it through basic..that motivated me to never quit. Just gotta want it!
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I second the advice on running. Most people struggle with that part on their PT test (in the Army, anyway).
  • GM3Z
    Options
    Everyone keeps telling me I won't make it either so I can't wait to prove them wrong (hopefully). Thank you for the support, tips, and for your service!
  • Dragn77
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nah no hopefully...just do it. You'll be fine :D

Oh, and remember to bring lipstick with you to basic. Sounds funny, but I did, and come time for pictures in our dress blues was the one time I had to use it, but I looked super adorable in my uniform. Its the only professional military uniform pic I have to this day, and I look dang good in it.

...okay that might be part of the reason people didn't think I would make it through basic LOL but I did. So whatever. :)

But yeah, sit-ups are a breeze...actually, I notice men had the most issues with that, for women, not so much...something about our hips and the movement it involves. Push-ups are a challenge, but not that bad. But the run...make sure you get *good quality* sneakers, no cotton socks, and study up on good running form as well. I had the last two down going in...if Id paid more attention to my form, I think that I would have progressed towards a faster run easier, and my knees would have been much better off too.
  • GM3Z
    Options
    Haha ok I will remember that! Thank you sooo much I really appreciate the feed back!