Lookng for a good Step Counter/Calories burned Device - Recommendations?

Options
I am looking for a device so that I don't have to carry my large phone with me when I am walking (for both Work and when just in general walking outdoors). Not looking to spend a fortune, was initially hoping that My Fitness pal had something that links it to my Account but that is not necessary. Just looking for a good reliable device so that I can accurately get what I need

Any recommendations on what has worked for you, would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One and it links with MFP.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    if all youre looking for is a step counter/calorie counter, I DEFINTIELY recommend a fitbit zip. Its not a heart rate or sleep monitor like some of the other options, but It doesn't cost as much as a wrist based fitbit, and it clips to your pants or your shirt or whatever you prefer. Its fairly accurate, better than a phone pedometer by far. And links to fitbit app and MFP! I love my fitbit zip, its made a big difference in how active I am.
  • karinagw
    karinagw Posts: 25
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^^ What she said. I just picked up a fitbit zip because I hate wearing things on my wrists and it's extremely low maintenance. I have named it George. And, it seems to do a great job (in all of 2.5 days).
  • jennarrebollo
    jennarrebollo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone Up Move...it was like $50. It tracks steps, sleep, and syncs really nicely with MFP to track calories. I use the option bracelet vs the clip and its been very accurate. I also really like the app that goes with it.
  • NowSteffy50
    NowSteffy50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit One... its really small and discreet (tucks into a belt or bra) which stops all the questions which I got before I broke my Up wrist band. It is also appears to be more accurate than a wrist worn monitor
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've also been looking at different kinds of monitors like this. I had an UP band, but I type for a living and I was noticing that it was counting my keystrokes as steps. For me it's between the fitbit zip and the fitbit one. The zip is cheaper at around $50 and the one is about $100. The difference between the two is that the one is rechargeable and it can also monitor your sleep. The zip requires a battery that will need to be changed every few months, and it doesn't track sleep.
  • karinagw
    karinagw Posts: 25
    Options
    I've also been looking at different kinds of monitors like this. I had an UP band, but I type for a living and I was noticing that it was counting my keystrokes as steps. For me it's between the fitbit zip and the fitbit one. The zip is cheaper at around $50 and the one is about $100. The difference between the two is that the one is rechargeable and it can also monitor your sleep. The zip requires a battery that will need to be changed every few months, and it doesn't track sleep.

See, to me the battery is the advantage because otherwise I'd have to remember to charge the thing once a week. I barely remember to water my plants (which will die if I don't) once a week. I also, personally, don't find a need for a sleep monitor.

However, the other thing the One does is deal with the different expenditure needed for stairs where the ZIP only counts it as steps. That I definitely don't need in my day-to-day. BUT, I go cruising enough that I am thinking about getting a One just to take on the ship because I always do stairs there. And, still use the Zip day-to-day.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    karinagw wrote: »

See, to me the battery is the advantage because otherwise I'd have to remember to charge the thing once a week. I barely remember to water my plants (which will die if I don't) once a week. I also, personally, don't find a need for a sleep monitor.

However, the other thing the One does is deal with the different expenditure needed for stairs where the ZIP only counts it as steps. That I definitely don't need in my day-to-day. BUT, I go cruising enough that I am thinking about getting a One just to take on the ship because I always do stairs there. And, still use the Zip day-to-day.

That is interesting. See, I've got an iphone 6 plus and it actually tracks steps and stairs like that, and it can be hooked up to my fitness pal, but i don't carry my phone on me all the time (it's the plus so it's huge - it ends up chilling on the side of my desk at work). I can see why the battery is a positive thing, but I also know I'd probably be lazy and not want to have to go out and buy a new battery every few months or however long it lasts.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I know you arent looking to spend a fortune but I really love the fitbit products. I had the force--didnt get a rash, kept it and it lasted over a year, then upgraded to the HR and love it, my hubs has the regular charge and really likes it as well.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Flex & a Jawbone UP24. (I'm a data nerd.) They both sync with MFP.

Jawbone's customer service is terrible, so I say get a Fitbit. MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • craigjmorton
    craigjmorton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a vivofit. I had the fitbit one for a good couple of years; but for me, while it worked very well, it was "passive", it just sat connected to my pocket and recorded everything.
    the vivofit sits on my wrist where i can see the interface plus it has an indicator which lets you know if you have been inactive for more than an hour (and every 15 minutes thereafter) and that has worked wonders for me, because i know that i have to get rid of the red line and can only do so by getting up and walking. the garmin connect site also has challenges to see who can walk the most steps in, usually, a period of 6 days, and this appeals to the competitor in me and gives me more motivation to get up and walk.
    The garmin/vivofit app works with android and iphones, just not the Lumia/Windows 8.1 phone range.
    The vivofit also has a battery life of 12 months, so no nightly charging. The only minus point that I have against it, in comparison to the Fitbit One, is that it does not count stairs climbed.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The only minus point that I have against it, in comparison to the Fitbit One, is that it does not count stairs climbed.

Fitbit's stair thing is just a fun motivation tool—it doesn't affect your calorie burn in any way. It's based on changes in air pressure, so you can get lots of "flights" just walking outside on a windy day.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One, and I love it! I hate having anything on my wrist. In my experience it's accurate, and it's discreet--I just clip it to my bra, and no one knows it's there. Remembering to charge it is no problem, since I get an email and a notification on the phone app letting me know when the battery is low.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One