Which Frying Pan ?

Options
There are certain foods I will pan fry as opposed to baking. However most of my 'non stick' frying pans get ruined quickly and then I am back to using more oil to ensure my food does not stick

What kind/brand of frying pan is good? I would like one where I use minimal oil, and its long lasting...at least a year.

There are "studies" stating the Teflon coated pans have health risks, but I am not aware of nonstick pans using non-Teflon coating.

I feel a good frying pan, where one can use minimal oil but still have crispy yummy food, is essential to weight loss.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    cast iron. once seasoned, its as good or better than many non stick pans.

i did NOT like the non stick ceramic pans. i have a couple, and ill use them if i have to, but my regular old non stick ones are the ones i prefer.

im not sure why yours are getting torn up? mine last several years. dont use metal utensils on them (it scratches the coating), and dont put them in the dishwasher.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I use calphalon and don't have any of these problem. Some of mine are 15 years old already (lifetime warranty).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I use calphalon and don't have any of these problem. Some of mine are 15 years old already (lifetime warranty).

those are good too - my grandparents have a lot of it. forgot about those!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a ceramic one. Love it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

those are good too - my grandparents have a lot of it. forgot about those!
    They rock! I have the griller, wok and pancake pan as well. Okay well about a dozen or so, but I have never had issue with them.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My Calphalon woks and pans chipped and became pretty disgusting. I got them from Target, so I don't know if there are different levels of quality at places like Williams Sonoma, but wow, what a mess, even with nonstick utensils. I now get the Good Cook inexpensive ones (from the grocery store, GASP!) and their nonstick surfaces are outstanding and have never chipped.

For really great roasts and winter dishes, though, nothing beats cast iron. I have my grandmothers cast iron roasters and fry pans, which are about 75 years old. They're heavier than the ones you can buy today.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Tramontina porcelain enamel pans--they are amazing. The set that I have was a gift, but I think that they were purchased at Costco.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have some Cuisenart non-stick that I bout about 2 years ago. I have no problem at all with any scratching or chipping (just make sure no metal utensils and no dishwasher). I also have a cast iron pan that I love, it's awesome. I can't believe I waited so long to get one.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If your nonstick pans are getting ruined quickly, maybe just take better care of your things? I bought my husband a nice set of T-Fal nonstick anodized pans, and we've never had a problem. You have to not abuse them, though. Metal utensils, scrub brushes and dish soap are big no-no's on those pans. Treat your nice things nicely and they'll stay nice. Who knew?? ;)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    If your nonstick pans are getting ruined quickly, maybe just take better care of your things? I bought my husband a nice set of T-Fal nonstick anodized pans, and we've never had a problem. You have to not abuse them, though. Metal utensils, scrub brushes and dish soap are big no-no's on those pans. Treat your nice things nicely and they'll stay nice. Who knew?? ;)

Agree! I baby my pots, therefore they are :smiley:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My Tefal ones last long enough , but tbh I fry things much less now. the woks great as well, in fact much better than a frying pan. Have noticed there are a lot of stone frying pans these days.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

I love them! I get them from Williams-Sonoma. Pricey, but they frequently go on sale. One of my favorite is a very large one with a high back to make flipping foods easier. As others have said, I don't use metal utensils on them and I hand wash them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A well-seasoned frying pan needs hardly any extra oil, and is non-stick. I can also scrub the life out of it if I need to, and I can use a regular spatula. Even heat, too. What's there not to love?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Cast iron or stainless, depending what you're doing in it. I got rid of the last of the nonstick stuff when we got cast iron, and haven't missed it at all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

I love them! I get them from Williams-Sonoma. Pricey, but they frequently go on sale. One of my favorite is a very large one with a high back to make flipping foods easier. As others have said, I don't use metal utensils on them and I hand wash them.

Yep and they'll last forever!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Cast iron all the way.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    GreenPan ceramic pan and wok for me. Dont need oil. The wok gets a little of the calorie free cooking spray for my stir fry and thats it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Cast iron, stainless steel, or enamel coated. I find the enamel one allows you to cook with the least amount of fat without burning stuff
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Another vote for cast iron. I don't want to have to 'baby' my pans.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I cannot say enough great things about my Scanpan cookware. Expensive? Hell yes. But they last forever. The best part? I can usually get away with using about half of the recommended fats/oils on any recipe list. In fact - since nonstick spray is not recommended with them, usually a fine wipe of olive oil is all you need for just about any dish. http://www.scanpan.eu/