Why do my knees hurt so much

Options
i am a new runner and started running outside. my knees and ankles started hurting, so I researched this and it recommended buying running trainers. I have since bought new trainers but I still am experiencing a lot of pain. I run outside about 5 days and go on the treadmill once a week. Any idea why this is happening?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any warm up, mobility and or stretching? You may want to work in some accessory work to strengthen and improve the mobility of your hips, legs and ankles.

When you went in to buy the trainers, did you have them assess your running form? The type of shoe your need depends on how you run, etc.

What are you running on? Some of us have a difficult time running on harder surfaces (concrete). Try some trails or grass and see if that helps.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    sararawat wrote: »
    Any idea why this is happening?

well, I'd start with the fact that you're a new runner and running 5-6 days a week. Your body (and knees) simply aren't used to the running. When you first start running, you need to give your body a day between each running day (so, running every second day, and do something else on the in between days).

Ice your knees, and give them a break. Your body takes time to adjust to the stresses of running.

Also, check your form goodformrunning.com was very helpful for me, when I was getting started. (I had a lot of knee pain at first, until I corrected my form).

And, as mentioned above, concrete can be a real *kitten* to run on. I still avoid it. (Asphalt is easier on my body)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you training for anything? How far are you running each time?
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should probably start slowly. I had this issue too when I started running after being fairly sedentary for years. My joints were like "WTF are you doing?!". So I had to tone it down and give those joints and muscles a chance to build their strength back. I am not sure of your weight/activity level, but maybe incorporating other cardio with less impact will help too. It's great you are making a change! Good luck! :)
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ^^ agree with all these points :)
    Any idea why this is happening?

well, I'd start with the fact that you're a new runner and running 5-6 days a week. Your body (and knees) simply aren't used to the running. When you first start running, you need to give your body a day between each running day (so, running every second day, and do something else on the in between days).

Ice your knees, and give them a break. Your body takes time to adjust to the stresses of running.

Also, check your form goodformrunning.com was very helpful for me, when I was getting started. (I had a lot of knee pain at first, until I corrected my form).

And, as mentioned above, concrete can be a real *kitten* to run on. I still avoid it. (Asphalt is easier on my body)

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with all of the above. Especially the question about the trainers: did you buy them off the shelf somewhere, or were you fitted? If you picked them off the shelf, they may not be appropriate for your feet/running style/etc.

You can also strengthen your knees/surrounding muscles and less the pain by doing things like squats and lunges as well as core exercises. But I think the biggest thing is that you're probably doing too much too soon. You have to ease into high impact exercises like running; try doing 2-3 days a week and see if that helps.
  • baneenerwiener
    baneenerwiener Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a competitive runner and had this same problem. My coach suggested I get good running shoes and see a pediatrist to see if I need orthotic inserts. Surely enough, the knee, hip, and ankle pain id been having were caused by my arches being too high and it threw off my running form. The feet are the base of the building and if the base is messed up, the whole building collapses. Go see a pediatrist and possibly get a really good pair of running shoes. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance in getting a pair that suits you. Maybe go to a store that is solely for runners – they set you on a treadmill, see how you run, and determine the best shoe for you. They got me one that doesn't fail me and these inserts make everything 10000x better. All the extra shoe help isn't completely necessary but investing in orthotics and good shoes is well worth it (:
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above. I was convinced that there was something wrong with my knees. I'd run for a week then give it up... for years. Then try again. Then I tried a couch to 5k program. Seemed silly to start with walking and really slowly easing into running, but it worked.
  • meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You should consider seeing a physical therapist. They can assess your strength, running form, foot posture, and help you correct any imbalances that may be causing pain.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I run outside about 5 days and go on the treadmill once a week. Any idea why this is happening?

As a new runner that seems like an excessive amount of running. What distances and paces are you doing on these runs, and how long have you actually been running?

Appropriate shoes can help, but that's unlikely to be the correct solution if you've already given yourself an injury.

Standard injury response really; Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation until the pain goes away, then ease back into the running again.

You say that you've got new running shoes, what type of gait are they for and how did you assess what the most appropriate type was for you? Again there is slightly conflicting evidence on gait but the weight of opinion at the moment is that the right shoes certainly help.

If you have the right shoe, you shouldn't need orthotics, or indeed a physio.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    As someone who has just told she has osteoarthritis of the knees at the ripe old age of 29, I suggest asking a GP about this problem.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    too much too soon. cut back. new shoes and ..... what helped me was building up my glutes. It took a few months of concentrating on my butt, but that definitely helped my knees (IT band issue).
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    pcrucifer wrote: »
    Ditto the above. I was convinced that there was something wrong with my knees. I'd run for a week then give it up... for years. Then try again. Then I tried a couch to 5k program. Seemed silly to start with walking and really slowly easing into running, but it worked.

Exactly my experience! I never ran because if I tried, even for short distances, my knees would hurt for days. I wrote it off as me having "bad knees". However, after 8 weeks of C25K, I'm now running for 28 minutes straight and experience no joint pain. Slow and steady really does win the race. :)

• sanadis
    sanadis Posts: 1
    Options
    I would take their advice ^ :)@sararawat‌
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Start slow and slow down even more. Build in rest days. You need to build up your tendons and ligaments as much as your musculature and your cardiovascular systems.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Stop running until the pain goes away. Then start walking and slowly add jogging intervals. Joint pain is not something you push through. When you start again jogging, aim at no more than 3-4 times per week, with rest in between, until you body adjusts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    i am a new runner and started running outside. my knees and ankles started hurting, so I researched this and it recommended buying running trainers. I have since bought new trainers but I still am experiencing a lot of pain. I run outside about 5 days and go on the treadmill once a week. Any idea why this is happening?
    Because your body isn't used to it. Unconditioned people have this approach of going in too fast to exercise because they want fast results.
    Try walking first. Then gradually up the speed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'll join the pile-on: you're doing too much, too fast. Running puts a lot more stress on your joints, bones, and muscles than walking does.

Try Couch to 5K, which involves three days a week. Walk, cycle, swim, or do something else on your non-running days if you want to be active. After you finish C25K and have been running 30 minutes, three times a week for a couple more months, you can consider adding a fourth weekly run.