Transitioning to vegan

Options
2»

Replies

• baneenerwiener
    baneenerwiener Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been high carb low fat vegan (raw till four) for about a year and a half and it made it easier to lose weight because was (still am) eating such clean foods !! I saw a bunch of comments telling you not to do it just to lose weight but don't listen to them it does help if you do it right. Watch FreeLee the banana girl on YouTube – she has a lot of good advice and videos on how to start (:
    I started by slowly cutting things out and replacing things with vegan alternatives (almond milk, vegan yogurt, etc) and cutting away from the more processed vegan foods to eating just natural fruits and veg, grains, and legumes. It won't lead to nutritional deficiencies at all like that is complete BS lol. Plants have tons of nutrients and as long as you log and make sure you're getting enough you'll be fine. I often get more than the DRA of iron, calcium isn't too hard, and protein is so easy to achieve. Do some research into what foods you need to eat to get enough and watch some vegan youtubers. I can friend you as well and help you along the way (:
    “People eat meat and think they will become as strong as an ox, forgetting that the ox eats grass.” –Pino Caruso <3
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have been high carb low fat vegan (raw till four) for about a year and a half and it made it easier to lose weight because was (still am) eating such clean foods !! I saw a bunch of comments telling you not to do it just to lose weight but don't listen to them it does help if you do it right. Watch FreeLee the banana girl on YouTube – she has a lot of good advice and videos on how to start (:
    I started by slowly cutting things out and replacing things with vegan alternatives (almond milk, vegan yogurt, etc) and cutting away from the more processed vegan foods to eating just natural fruits and veg, grains, and legumes. It won't lead to nutritional deficiencies at all like that is complete BS lol. Plants have tons of nutrients and as long as you log and make sure you're getting enough you'll be fine. I often get more than the DRA of iron, calcium isn't too hard, and protein is so easy to achieve. Do some research into what foods you need to eat to get enough and watch some vegan youtubers. I can friend you as well and help you along the way (:

Oh yeah, Freelee is totally not insane
  • baneenerwiener
    baneenerwiener Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, Freelee is totally not insane

She is pretty insane but her videos that help people start being vegan or rt4 are rather helpful
  • weightgoals2015
    Options
    Despite what some folks here are saying, eating meat can and will cause health problems. There's a reason a ton of people on the Atkins diet have dropped dead of heart attacks - the cholesterol in meat is unhealthy, point blank.

No matter the reason you're transitioning to veganism, it'll be better for your body overall. I wish you luck. I still struggle with the amount of dairy that sneaks into other things.

That is very true. Thank you :)
  • weightgoals2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Do you realize what vegan is? It is using no animal products of any kind for any reason. Vegans do not eat meat, dairy, eggs, fish. or honey. They do not wear leather, fur, or wool. They do not use personal care products that have beeswax or dyes made from insects. They do not wear perfumes that are made with musk or ambergris. Vegan is a total lifestyle and many find it hard to give up some of those things, especially leather, wool, and things from bees.

If you really want to go with a totally plant based diet but don't care about the rest, you will be a vegetarian.

I understand. It would be hard to give up jello and such. I've been having second thoughts but in the summer I think I'll try being vegan and really commit.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Do you realize what vegan is? It is using no animal products of any kind for any reason. Vegans do not eat meat, dairy, eggs, fish. or honey. They do not wear leather, fur, or wool. They do not use personal care products that have beeswax or dyes made from insects. They do not wear perfumes that are made with musk or ambergris. Vegan is a total lifestyle and many find it hard to give up some of those things, especially leather, wool, and things from bees.

If you really want to go with a totally plant based diet but don't care about the rest, you will be a vegetarian.

False. A vegan diet is not the same as a cruelty free lifestyle. If OP wants to modify the food she eats, she is not bound to surrender other animal derived products.
  • weightgoals2015
    Options
    “People eat meat and think they will become as strong as an ox, forgetting that the ox eats grass.” –Pino Caruso <3
    I love freelee and my doctor really encourages going vegan. Thank you ❤️
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

False. A vegan diet is not the same as a cruelty free lifestyle. If OP wants to modify the food she eats, she is not bound to surrender other animal derived products.

She is if she is going to call herself a vegan.

You are wrong. Cruelty free diet is vegetarian. Cruelty free lifestyle is vegan.

Here is a good comparison chart:

diffen.com/difference/Vegan_vs_Vegetarian
    In a nutshell from the chart:

"Veganism is a philosophy and compassionate lifestyle whose adherents seek to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Vegans endeavor not to use or consume animal products of any kind. Do not use any animal derived products, e.g. fur, leather, wool, etc. Do not condone the use of animal testing.

Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes meat (including game and slaughter by-products; fish, shellfish and other sea animals; and poultry). There are several variants of the diet, some of which also exclude eggs."
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    High carbs, low fat sounds like horrible vitamin absorption. Add that to a highly restrictive diet seems like a pretty bad plan.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

She is if she is going to call herself a vegan.

You are wrong. Cruelty free diet is vegetarian. Cruelty free lifestyle is vegan.

Here is a good comparison chart:

diffen.com/difference/Vegan_vs_Vegetarian
    In a nutshell from the chart:

"Veganism is a philosophy and compassionate lifestyle whose adherents seek to exclude the use of animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose. Vegans endeavor not to use or consume animal products of any kind. Do not use any animal derived products, e.g. fur, leather, wool, etc. Do not condone the use of animal testing.

Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes meat (including game and slaughter by-products; fish, shellfish and other sea animals; and poultry). There are several variants of the diet, some of which also exclude eggs."

There are multiple definitions of veganism:

Merriam-Webster

vegan
    noun veg·an \ˈvē-gən also ˈvā- also ˈve-jən or -ˌjan\
    : a person who does not eat any food that comes from animals and who often also does not use animal products (such as leather)