So... do stomachs shrink?

Options
I've read various things, including studies, which argue one way or another. From what I gathered it would take significant reduction in order to cause a stomach shrinkage? I ask because about a month and a half ago I went through a very stressful break up and had to move suddenly. I could hardly stomach ANY food for two or three weeks, and slowing started eating more and more since then. I got off track with MFP during that time, so I was not logging, I have no idea how many calories I consumed but I can say with some certainty it was under 1000 a day for most of that time.

Now I'm eating and working out more normally, getting back into the swing of things and on with my life. I still find myself not feeling hungry, feeling very full after small meals, and regularly I'm getting the red warning from MFP that I've not eaten enough that day, although I've had multiple filling meals. I do feel pretty normal, and not at all adverse to food like I was feeling a few weeks ago, I just feel like I can't eat as much as I'm suppose to.

Replies

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    No. Without surgery your stomach won't shrink. It's an oft repeated myth.

You can, however, train your body into being satisfied eating less. After dieting for a while, a person will generally be content with less food than in the past.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's hard to accurately measure, and for the most part, adults' stomachs are the size they're intended to be, regardless of how much or little you eat. Some studies have shown an increase and reduction in stomach capacity depending on intake, but not so much that the stomach has shrunk drastically. What dieting does is sort of "reset" your appetite, so you don't feel compelled to eat as much.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No. You just get used to the volume of food you eat and you feel more satisfied on less. You are also learning to be more aware of hunger versus eating to eat.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, your stomach doesn't shrink except with surgery.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    From what I understand...the stomach is sort of like a balloon, the size it is, is the size it is. Fill it with air, and it appears bigger, but let out the air, and its still in actuality the size it is.

What changes is not the size of your stomach, but the signals your stomach sends to your brain which determine whether or not to trigger the feeling of hunger. Train your stomach to accept more by over eating, and it will hold off on sending the signals to your brain. Train your stomach to make do with less, and it will send the signals faster.

Also why its always suggested to eat slowly, to give your body time to send the signal to your brain telling you that you are full. Eat too fast, and by the time the message goes through, you've already eaten way too much.

As always, when I post information based on my understanding of stuff, if I'm totally off base, just let me know!
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hormones play a big part of appetite. And when enough fat is accumulated, it acts as an organ and makes hormones. I can't speak to a sudden loss of appetite due to stress, but you might get something out of this link. http://m.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/mskpages/Obesity_and_hormones?open
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    hormones are what affect your appetite and when you jack around with your diet, you jack around with your hormones.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you eat slower you will get fuller on less. For years, after going to boot camp, I felt like I needed to have my food eaten in 90 seconds. I got to the point that I could devour a large pizza and then of course i'd feel miserable. If you slow your eating, you'd be surprised as to how full you feel on less. The stomach has to have a chance to tell the brain it's had enough. That's a problem for many people. To answer your question, no it doesn't shrink.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    From what I understand...the stomach is sort of like a balloon, the size it is, is the size it is. Fill it with air, and it appears bigger, but let out the air, and its still in actuality the size it is.

What changes is not the size of your stomach, but the signals your stomach sends to your brain which determine whether or not to trigger the feeling of hunger. Train your stomach to accept more by over eating, and it will hold off on sending the signals to your brain. Train your stomach to make do with less, and it will send the signals faster.

Also why its always suggested to eat slowly, to give your body time to send the signal to your brain telling you that you are full. Eat too fast, and by the time the message goes through, you've already eaten way too much.

As always, when I post information based on my understanding of stuff, if I'm totally off base, just let me know!

That is an excellent analogy :)
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I understand why someone might feel like their stomach must have shrunk. I have been doing IF for the past few months. Now, I feel miserably full when I eat the first meal after a fast. Now I eat only a small snack to break my fast.

This thread is well timed. I had a big steak dinner a few hours ago and I still feel like an alien is trying to break out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope. It can expand, but they don't shrink.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Opossum stomachs shrink with a little bit of olive oil and a cast iron skillet.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Oh Gross! :s

• ncboiler89
    Options

Hey. You don't live in NC.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Nope Adelaide, Australia :#

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Well, wait a minute. What about the people that "train" for eating contests? I can speak from experience that I used to shovel down a whole TON of food. Like a ridiculous amount. I talked to my doctor and she said that the longer I start eating less, the more my stomach will go back to normal size and I won't be able to eat as much. That ended up being true.

If you are talking about shrinking smaller than normal size, no. That doesn't happen. If you are talking about shrinking to normal size after you eat excessive for a long time, yes, that can happen.
  • ncboiler89
    Options

Lived/worked in Sydney for a couple of months. Loved it!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    The stomach can stretch, but it can't shrink smaller than it already is..
  • Christine_72
    Options

It's a great country to live in :+1:

• ncboiler89
    Options

It's a great country to live in :+1:

Reminded me of the US. No culture. :(