Any fellow ADHDers out there? Need Motivation.

Options
I have ADHD along with binge eating. The ADHD makes it impossible to meal plan. I'm just starting Adderal and hoping that will help me through this.
I have absolutely no motivation and I'm really frustrated. I don't even make it on here once a day to enter what I eat (which I think should be my first step). I don't want to enter the information onto mfp because I'm ashamed about how much I've eaten and how much over goal calories I'll be. It's not like I want to eat nothing. I'm just asking myself for 1600 calories a day, but just for lunch today, I had a grilled cheese, bag of popcorn and an 200 cal ice cream bar. I don't know how to motivate myself to get on here each day. I don't know how to motivate myself to exercise each day. I don't know how to motivate myself to cut down on my eating!

Replies

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Wow, we sound so similar! I'm trying to get back on here (was on for like three weeks last year) but it's really hard.
  • ivetastic
    ivetastic Posts: 255 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    JLynnScov wrote: »
    I have ADHD along with binge eating. The ADHD makes it impossible to meal plan. I'm just starting Adderal and hoping that will help me through this.
    I have absolutely no motivation and I'm really frustrated. I don't even make it on here once a day to enter what I eat (which I think should be my first step). I don't want to enter the information onto mfp because I'm ashamed about how much I've eaten and how much over goal calories I'll be. It's not like I want to eat nothing. I'm just asking myself for 1600 calories a day, but just for lunch today, I had a grilled cheese, bag of popcorn and an 200 cal ice cream bar. I don't know how to motivate myself to get on here each day. I don't know how to motivate myself to exercise each day. I don't know how to motivate myself to cut down on my eating!

You can hide what you eat on here by putting your diary private and that way you don't have to be embarrassed. Just have it for yourself. Im really bad at meal planning but once I start a workout routine I'm pretty good about keeping it. Just start working out and if u eat 200 more calories than you should then u can do extra cardio. That usually helps me
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm an ADHD-er, too. I have issues with both impulsive eating, and mindless boredom-eating.

When I'm on my meds ADHD (adderall) I find that it's much easier for me to pause & stop & think before I begin stuffing food in my mouth.

I've been on Adderall for almost 15 years. When I first started, the appetite suppressant effect hit me and I lost about 15 to 20 lbs without trying. But my body adjusted & I gained 20-25 lbs back.

Now I'm consciously trying to watch how much I eat, why I'm eating, and whether or not I'm seriously truly hungry (or if my tastebuds are lying to the rest of my body).

I too cannot manage to plan meals, so I don't. I wouldn't be able to log anything if it wasn't for the phone app. I have it set to give me reminders at 9am, 2pm, and 7pm nagging me to log my breakfast/lunch/dinner if I haven't done so yet. Since I turned that on, I've had my longest-yet streak of logging-in-days!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I have ADD/ADHD, and I am always busy doing something. I love planning out meals and counting calories, but I'm also obsessive/compulsive. That makes it so I HAVE to plan out my meals, and I HAVE to workout, and I CAN'T go over 1400. Just start logging what you eat everyday before trying a meal plan. After you get used to logging, take the next step and start planning your meals. After awhile it'll get easier.
  • punkpixie25
    Options
    I m having the same problem I get ashamed of my eating this is my fourth time starting this again I can't seem to follow through on any of my weight loss goals. I eat until I'm stuffed and I no that's unhealthy . I'm starting my concerts so hopefully it will help keep my head on straight... Any suggestions with the struggles?
  • dawnmarie1012
    Options
    I'm similar to @My_Butt‌, but I also experience mindless overeating & it is completely counter productive to the effort I put in throughout the day. I'm constantly practicing mindfulness and self awareness to maintain control and clarity, but by the end of the day I'm exhausted & that's when I over eat. I'm thinking about asking my shrink for medicine to help me relax/fall asleep at night & maybe that will decrease my restless energy projected into unhealthy, unnecessary eating habits.

Once you are on medication you should start to feel better. It completely changed my thoughts and actions for the better. Medication doesn't solve everything though- hence, my habitual mindless eating.