quiona??

Options
2»

Replies

• wagagaga
    wagagaga Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    I use it as a substitution for rice. Contains more protein, less carbs.

Which one is more filling?
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    daisyverma wrote: »
    I find it really hard to just replace quinoa with rice. There is a different texture and flavour profile with quinoa as opposed to rice.

The best I eat quinoa is to make quinoa burgers /patties. That way its mixed with a whole bunch of ingredients and after pan frying/baking, its less noticeable

Recepie for the patties???
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to just replace quinoa with rice. There is a different texture and flavour profile with quinoa as opposed to rice.

The best I eat quinoa is to make quinoa burgers /patties. That way its mixed with a whole bunch of ingredients and after pan frying/baking, its less noticeable

Recepie for the patties???

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/08/13/crispy-quinoa-cakes-vegan-gluten-free-nut-free/

I would pan fry each side 7-10 minutes rather than baking
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks Quinoa is just another form of Couscous which he hates. It does have a similar texture, though you cook Quinoa about the same as rice, not like Couscous that swells up all on it's own.

It's a relative of the native goosefoot, which I stumbled upon when I was identifying the weeds around our property. Don't try eating wild goosefoot, however, unless you wash, wash, wash off the bitter soapy layer. Commercial Quinoa is washed for you these days.

I think it's fun, but I eat it on my own. I season it as I would Couscous. Red Quinoa is interesting.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    All these options sound good I'm not trying to replace anything just trying something new I also love the taste of rice! Any you guys like bulgur?? I like that as well but never looked up the macros. I like couscous too.
  • saraelizaphant
    saraelizaphant Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I also like bulgur and couscous as well. To me there is a distinct yet mild flavor. It is nutty, but there is something else to it, and I absolutely love it. Tabbouleh is my favorite way to eat it. So easy, filling and tasty; you can mix it up easily. I've also enjoyed it in stuffed peppers, burritos, with various Indian recipes, granola/baked goods, and now I would like to try it in more dishes.
  • MarvinGardunio
    MarvinGardunio Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also like bulgur and couscous as well. To me there is a distinct yet mild flavor. It is nutty, but there is something else to it, and I absolutely love it. Tabbouleh is my favorite way to eat it. So easy, filling and tasty; you can mix it up easily. I've also enjoyed it in stuffed peppers, burritos, with various Indian recipes, granola/baked goods, and now I would like to try it in more dishes.

You wouldn't happen to have a link for recipes??????
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I scarf it down in stuffed peppers. I make the quinoa and then add ground venison (cooked), goat cheese crumbles, cooked onions, red wine vinegar, and a little bit of oil. It's amazingly good.

I look for recipes that are new where quinoa isn't used as a replacement for rice but as it's own ingredient.

We could be food twins!! I eat venison ( no beef though) and love quinoa stuffed peppers!! I also don't use it as a substitute but as its own ingredient.
  • kungabungadin
    kungabungadin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/black-bean-and-quinoa-enchilada-bake/

One of my absolutely favorite ways to eat quinoa
    Wow thanks for that link; I just clicked on it and I must say it look awesome I can't wait to try it out. I love all these tips by the way I know I am not the OP, but I was just wondering about some good ways to prepare quinpa and these all sound great.

• Zazzle1970
    Options
    A substitute that I use for rice is, it is a cereal food that is from green wheat that has been dried, roasted and then "trashed" or "rubbed" to make the flavour, texture, and colour uniform. The result is an earthy, smoky, grain that has a distinct flavour. Freekeh is a great alternative to rice and other grains.
    Love using it as a side!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think another whole grain often overlooked is buckwheat. It also has its own distinctive "nutty" flavour.
  • sarahlucking
    Options
    I usually make a quinoa veggie salad. Bake up a batch and I have it for lunch. I throw in any veggies I have. Usually peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, spinach. I used to throw feta cheese in it, but not anymore.