where do you measure

Options
When taking measurements, especially for thighs, how far down or up does one measure?

Replies

• Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    think it is at widest part. if nothing else can do lower, mid, upper better more measurements if in question.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i think it's the thickest part, but i'm not 100% sure
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i wondered this, but then realised as long as I do it in the same place everytime, its not really an issue
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I do the thickest bit cos that's the bit I'm interested in reducing!
  • modubb
    modubb Posts: 22
    Options
    i wondered this, but then realised as long as I do it in the same place everytime, its not really an issue

That's always best!!! You should measure around where it's widest...(those lovely saddlebags). This is a hard measurement to get accurate on your own... so if you have someone that can help you, that's a huge help.
  • frit88
    frit88 Posts: 1
    Options
    Measure the thickest part (usually a few inches below the groin), but most important, measure with the SAME tape measure each week and mark the place you are measuring (ie at a specific freckle) so you are consistant. this will give you more accurate results. Good luck to all.:smile:
  • karatsd
    karatsd Posts: 35
    Options
    yea I guess it doesn't matter - but I don't really have a thickest. It's all one big blubber from about three inches above my knee to the crotch. And it seems like the more weight I lose, the more it all jiggles around and the more cellulite there is. OK OK I'm getting negative so I will stop now and focus on how much better I am overall!
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    If you google the following it will give you a an example on where to take your measurements. I

Weight Loss Program - Articles - How to Weigh and Measure Your Body
  • rwillard78
    rwillard78 Posts: 19
    Options
    I feel a lot more blubbery :) BUT start toning with the weights and work on your thighs. It will help. I'm doign that with my chest and stomach.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I track two thigh measurements for this reason. I have serious drumstick thighs and there's is a few inches difference between the widest part below the groin and the wide-but-smaller area a couple inches above my knee. The widest part definitely has more fat, and is reducing sloooooooowly. But the "lower thigh" has a bit more visible muscle, so I feel like it gives me an idea of how well I am reshaping my quads and hamstrings.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My crossfit coach takes my measurements for me about once a month (or whenever I am panicking about the scale not moving), and she measures from hipbone to the top of my kneecap, then divides in 2 and marks it with her fingernail on my leg. Then she measures around there. So it is pretty much exactly halfway, and its roughly in the same spot every time.

I agree with just finding a spot and staying consistent, so you can see change over time. Just measuring the "fattest" part may not do the trick, since that could change from month to month, depending on how your body loses fat.