How to gain weight in muscle & get abs

Options
herfox
herfox Posts: 4 Member
im underweight and now trying to gain weight by eating more calories of high protein and carbs and fat but I was wondering when doing this can you still get abs?

Replies

• rez2012
    rez2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes of course. It's possible to stay lean and gain. Just keep a clean diet, hit your calories, and do your core exercises.
  • vbenoit81
    vbenoit81 Posts: 22
    Options
    Yes, but make sure you have a clean diet with plenty of protein.
  • thespringbuck
    thespringbuck Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Doing the reverse of a calorie deficit based on your TDEE would be the way to go in my opinion, typically to drop body fat you'd apply a 15% deficit to your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, search IIFYM TDEE calculator), so to gain lean mass, apply a 15% surplus. It's very likely that you will pick up some body fat during this period, so after a couple months swap it round and do a calorie deficit to drop the body fat. The reverse then applies that u may drop some muscle during this period but it's a long term process of surplus, deficit, surplus, deficit until u have the right amount of lean mass achieved then you can just maintain. As close to a 40/40/20 macro split as U can get is the best way from my experience to run this process. Msg me if u have any questions.
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    definitely!! cant have abs when your just skinny (TRUST ME I KNOW!). you WILL gain fat and muscle to being with-this is ESSENTIAL for your health. i know it wont be the most comfortable but you need it. Make sure you are training but not overtraining, you need to be in a caloric surpluss and depending on how underweight you are you are risking serious, long-term damage to your joints and bones if you work too hard too soon. Once you are at a healthy weight with some room to fluctuate, start to decrease the number of calories you are consuming to more of a maintenance rate, continue to strength train. this will help you shed some of the excess fat you mave have and VIOLA! the abs and muscle layer you have built will begin to show! BUT PLEASE......you NEED to learn that you must gain weight, this includes some fat to start with. Ive been there and tried to gain ONLY muscle...doesnt work. a sad 6 pack over a skeleton is not pretty. abs over a lean, healthy body-oh yes!
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    research "reverse dieting" if you are truly just trying to gain weight-basically you slowly increase your macros in the same way you would decrease them to lean out. in the case you are coming from an ED though, this is an entirely different situation in which case i would advise again counting macros, "dieting" of any sort, etc for at LEAST a year, you need to regain your sense of ability to eat and become intune with your bodys needs again.
  • herfox
    herfox Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! This has helped a lot!!
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Great advice helped me also