How to eat healthy Italian?

Options
Ali_TSO
Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
Going out to dinner with some friends tonight to an Italian retaurant tonight... :drinker: Not a "Carrabas" type, where I could easily get grilled chicken or something. :noway: This place is a mob-boss place run by "Tony" :huh: ...where it's red sauce, pizza, and meatballs as far as the eye can see. I don't think they even serve thin-crust pizza. Any suggestions? :smile:

Replies

• yunje
    yunje Posts: 3
    Options
    I would go vegetarian, and cream sauces tend to pack alot of empty calories!:smile:
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    empty calories? that's bad, right? vegetarian WHAT, though?..
  • DRSRiley
    DRSRiley Posts: 26
    Options
    I usually get grilled calamari, angel hair pasta with just a bit of olive oil, and steamed spinach....and I always take home a doggie bag since pasta is very filling for me.
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    hmmmm, that sounds good :)
  • doyoumeangreen
    doyoumeangreen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Rule #1 Have a big huge green salad, if you can do oil & vinegar then do that, otherwise a lowfat italian on the side or other vinegar based dressing. Use sparingly. #2 If you can get a broth based soup like italian wedding or minestrone, get a cup of that it will also fill you up. #3: Red sauce is totally healthy and packed with antioxidants. Get it on (marinara if possible instead of meat) angel hair pasta and ask them to bring you a to go container as soon as your plate hits the table. Or, get a grilled chicken dish with STEAMED veggies over noodles. The reason I do the red sauce is because there's not much oils/fats associated with that and sometimes the chicken and veggies are cooked in a lot of oil. Before you take a bite, just slide 1/2 (or more!) of your plate right into the To Go container. You have the next day's lunch and you really did get your fill. Also, parmesan is ok sparingly. Stay away from the bread bowl.

ENJOY !! it's moments like these that make live worth living.