The best thing about running isn't running...

Options
In fact, running is only the THIRD best thing about running.

The enjoyment of actually running only lasts for as long as you are out there, putting trainer to ground, moving those limbs and breathing hard. But that only lasts along as your run - from maybe 20 minutes to...an hour or so?

The SECOND best thing about running is when you have just run. You've finished and are enjoying the feeling of being finished as well as any fun chemical or emotional changes your run has brought on. Hooray! This can last all evening!

The BEST thing about running is being able to run. The feeling when you know you have achieved your first 1km non stop, or the last long run before your marathon day, or whatever; knowing you can run is a feeling that lasts all the next day, and the day after that and so on...until you go for your next run and get to start the trinity all over again. :D

Replies

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    New runner here -- just finished the C25K program. Totally agree with the "second best" part. I love the run, but that exhausted, sweaty, slightly sore feeling right after a run and right before I clobber a plateful of pancakes is awesome.

But you forgot my favorite part. Running comes with YELLING PRIVILEGES. "On yer left!"
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »

But you forgot my favorite part. Running comes with YELLING PRIVILEGES. "On yer left!"

tumblr_n3m99zIlPz1su6zr6o4_400.gif

50% of the time it scares people.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

That's also fun.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yessss! My last long run before my half marathon is on Sunday. I needed to see this! Thanks! :smiley:
  • RudeboyCantFail
    RudeboyCantFail Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like your list a lot. I definitely agree with the BEST item (being able to run). I had knee surgery and a broken foot over the last couple years and that put a definite kink in my running, but really made me appreciate every day I can get out there. On a whim I jumped into my first race in years this past weekend (a 10K) and far exceeded my expectations...left me very pumped!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with your number one reason. When I couldn't run, I was a very sad panda.

But a very close second to me is "eating all the foods."
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    csk0018 wrote: »
    Yessss! My last long run before my half marathon is on Sunday. I needed to see this! Thanks! :smiley:

Brilliant, good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with your number one reason. When I couldn't run, I was a very sad panda.

Eating all the food is number one for me!
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Eating all the food is number one for me!

Oh yes! Eating all the food is the best! Agree with all everything else too though. As I've gotten older I appreciate what a privilege it is to be healthy and able to run and move my body. Being outside in the fresh air and beautiful countryside is also wonderful.
  • FlissCT
    FlissCT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    New runner here -- just finished the C25K program. Totally agree with the "second best" part. I love the run, but that exhausted, sweaty, slightly sore feeling right after a run and right before I clobber a plateful of pancakes is awesome.

I agree too and am new to running. I love it! If anyone wants to add me for mutual support and success sharing, please feel free!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

RIGHT? I LOVE IT WHEN I GET TO EAT WHATEVER CALORIE-DENSE FOOD STRIKES MY FANCY BECAUSE I'VE ALREADY RUN IT OFF AND NEED TO REFUEL.

(I'm yelling because I'm privileged.)
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ... and right before I clobber a plateful of pancakes is awesome.

"On yer left!"

LOL
    Which reminds me I need to prep my beans/oatmeal pancakes for after my run tomorrow (by run translate forward move in slow motion)

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    this has to be done...

fMSXDvW.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Between the OP's list and the food comment, I wholeheartedly agree.

Yesterday I went for a long run. Previous PR was 10.1 miles. Goal yesterday was 12 miles. I finished the run after 13.1 miles. Hell yes!!!! I'm still on a high from that one. Rest day today, but I'll be back on the streets tomorrow and can't wait.

I celebrated my run yesterday with a larger order of fish & chips and a lovely pint of Old Speckled Hen.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    this has to be done...

fMSXDvW.png
    I have never seen this before. It is now my screensaver.
    Brilliant

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    this has to be done...

fMSXDvW.png
    I have never seen this before. It is now my screensaver.
    Brilliant

You're going to like the whole thing then: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Runners high is definitely a thing
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

50% of the time they MOVE to their left. In your way. LOL

"Oh, that other left..."

@tcatcarson I totally agree with your #1 best thing - carrying around the knowledge that we *can* run is to me a very wonderful thing. Having running back in my life is... liberating.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I ran 5km yesterday, then rode 15km each way on my work commute.

I came home from work and ate an entire pizza. I still lost weight.

*That* is the best thing about running :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Judging from my FB feed, the best thing about running is telling everyone else about it. ;)