Becoming very disheartened :(

Options
Hi guys, what on earth am I doing wrong ?
I started a healthier eating plan and 30 day shred 12 days ago now some evenings maybe two or three times a week will also go for a by cycle ride for 30 minutes, I have not lost a single pound, I lost and put back in. WHY ? I've gone from very little exercise and poor eating habits to working my butt off. Please advise me on where I'm going wrong
Helen.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and accurately logging all your food to an overall calorie defecit?
  • fuzzypicklehead
    fuzzypicklehead Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have your measurements changed? ie, are you losing fat and building muscle?
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi Helen,

I took a quick look at your diary and from what I can see, you really indeed are trying. I did notice you aren't drinking a lot of water. Try that and see how it goes. Sometimes your body needs time to adjust. How much do you want to lose?
    Because if it isn't a lot, it's going much slower (same "problem" I'm coping with).

If you'd like me to be you buddy, you can always add me as a friend!

Keep up the good work!
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Healthier eating doesn't necessarily mean a calorie deficit. Some healthy foods are incredibly calorific, like hoummus and nut butters. And fruits are high in sugars, so a tropical fruit salad, although healthy, can take you over your goals. Weigh and log your food and see what happens. Good luck.
  • DanExcalibur
    DanExcalibur Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs, too little protein.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Hi Helen

If you've gone from virtually no exercise to quite a bit you may be retaining some fluid. It's very early days yet! I know it's discouraging to not see the scales move, but if you are weighing and measuring your food, logging everything, and doing some exercise it will happen. Also, doing body measurements is a really good idea, sometimes the scales aren't moving, but you will be losing inches.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited March 2015
    Options

Unless she has a medical condition that requires a lower carb approach that's completely irrelevant to weight loss. Calories in vs calories out is all that's required.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    1. go here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and enter in your stats. Make sure you choose the correct fitness level. Take the number it gives you and multiply that by 0.85, that will be your calorie goal. Go into goals and hit change goals, and choose custom. Enter in your daily calorie goal. Then change your carbs to 40%, your protein to 30-35% and fat to 25% - 30%. And try that for a few weeks. After you lose 5 lbs, recalculate your calories. Since you don't have a lot to go, do it every 5 lbs and see how that does for you. I prefer a higher fat diet, but see what you like and adjust accordingly. Get rid of the 1200, because as you lose you will need to drop calories, and you don't want to drop to nothing.
  • helen772010
    helen772010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, I always weigh out food and if not practical then I always over estimate the calories so as not to cheat myself and go over. I measured my self on day one of 30 day shred and again on day 10, no change, I'm gutted because I'm putting everything in.
    Yes I well definatley try and drink more water as your right I don't drink enough, I would like to lose 16 pound to be at the weight I was 3 years ago.
    Please from my diet what items are full of carbs and which are the protein foods ? I'm not very savvy on on carbs, proteins
    It hurts more that my partner although on the same diet but no exercise at all is losing weight albeit just a pound a week but still a loss.
  • helen772010
    Options
    Thanks Lisa for the link, i'll give it a shot.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    You really don't have a lot to lose, so you're not going to see those big initial loses that more overweight people do.

• helen772010
    Options
    I wasn't expecting miracles but was expecting something due to the drastic changes, I'm determined and won't give up. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2012 and put my weight on then due to steroids and inactivity, all clear and back to normal life now, this fitness spat is for health as well as weight loss,just want my old self back again now.
    Lisa, I just put my details in the link you gave me and did the calculation which gave me calories of 1969, does this sound correct, it seems high ?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I nearly topped at 170 pounds. It took me three weeks of serious exercising and counting calories just to keep from getting to 170! Then another couple of weeks to go down to 165, and two more months to get to 160. Now that I'm on MFP, I'm losing weight at a steady pace. Don't give up!!!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    How close to working out do you weigh yourself?

Working out will "plump your muscles" for lack of a better term and, ancedote, I am always heavier if I weigh myself within two/three hours of a good workout.
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    It's normal that your husband is losing easier than you. Men tend to lose fat more easily than women.
    I get where you're coming from with wanting to go back to a normal life. I've lost a baby last year due to an ectopic pregnancy and all the hormones, the operation and the mental/emotional effect also caused a weightgain for me..

Keep on going, at least you're already getting healthier!
  • helen772010
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing then workout while my other half is still in bed :\ .
    I'm sorry to hear that Maline xx
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have lost 1 lb in 12 days, with the small amount you have to lose then half a pound a week is sustainable and you are over-achieving on that! Also suddenly upping your exercise routine can cause your muscles to retain water for repair. You say you are doing 30DS and cycling - that is quite a lot from a standing start. Give it time. keep weighing your food and MEASURE YOURSELF. If you aren't losing an average half pound a week after 6 weeks then look again at your regime. Good luck.
  • helen772010
    Options
    Thanks Jules, is there any way of getting rid of water retention?
  • DanExcalibur
    DanExcalibur Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Unless she has a medical condition that requires a lower carb approach that's completely irrelevant to weight loss.

Nonsense. Eat nothing but carbs and zero protein and watch what happens...

• caraleab
    caraleab Posts: 4
    Options
    Something worth remembering is that your weight can fluctuate due to things such as water retention, food mass and even after you exercise from up to 10lbs. Try not to weigh yourself too often, perhaps only once a week or once a month considering menstruation can also build up water retention, but a reminder that it only tends to be temporary and does not effect weight loss.
    I had a similar problem, I was losing some weight and then "gaining" more back although at that point I was weighing myself everyday - not a good idea! But the thing to remember is that if you know you doing all the right things, then generally speaking you can't logically go wrong.
    Good protein foods - lean meat and fish (salmon tends to be popular), eggs, non-fat Greek yogurt, cheese (kept in moderation), 1-2tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese is supposedly ranked one of the best for it's high protein content per serving.