Becoming very disheartened :(

Options

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Drink more water. As your body learns that it will always have a constant supply of water, it stops holding on to it.

I did look at your diary and you may not be getting enough protein. You want to multiply your lean body mass by .6 for lightly active so you don't lose any muscle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Too many carbs, too little protein.

Unless she has a medical condition that requires a lower carb approach that's completely irrelevant to weight loss.

Nonsense. Eat nothing but carbs and zero protein and watch what happens...

Whilst that's impossible to do so a nonsensical comeback.

carbs in a weight loss diet are totally fine ...I personally lost 50lbs in 8 months with 50-60% carbs ...please prove why she has to drop carbs

If you wish to be low carb to achieve your goals that's fine - whatever you like - but don't make it a rule for others
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP - I looked at your diary and it looks good

I think you're just suffering from its only been 12 days; not much to lose; weight loss isn't linear and a change-up in exercise which can result in water retention ...as will hormones around ovulation and menstruation and extra sodium

Just keep going and weigh again in a couple of weeks ...my own weight loss goes in stalls of 2-3 weeks, rises and drops but with an overall downwards trend

I can show you if you like (the black dots are actual scale weights)
    vmxxh53yxndd.jpg
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'll second using Trendweight. It has kept me realtively sane this time around.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This happens to me on a small cut with an uptake in training. I plateau for up to six weeks, as my fat cells release the fat, and immediately replace it with water which weighs the same. One day I wake up, usually after a carby binge with alcohol and woosh! I'm where I should be and carry on from there.

Weight training also adds more water as my muscles get repaired.

I don't care, as long as I'm targeting fat!
  • joeymcrib
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Unless she has a medical condition that requires a lower carb approach that's completely irrelevant to weight loss.

carbs in a weight loss diet are totally fine ...I personally lost 50lbs in 8 months with 50-60% carbs ...please prove why she has to drop carbs

If you wish to be low carb to achieve your goals that's fine - whatever you like - but don't make it a rule for others

Carbs are important, You need to perfect the balance and consistently stick to it and you will burn weight! Strippers are great too on the side, but its not about what exercise you do, from my experience 90% is what you eat. You can lose weight by changing diet and not exercise!
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You are probably retaining water. When you use your muscles, especially if you don't use them much, you get tiny tears in them. This is why we are sore after workouts. These tiny tears allow our muscles to grow bigger and stronger. However, our muscles will hold water in them until the tears are healed. So if you have been doing a lot of exercise- drink plenty of water and wait until you aren't as sore to get on the scale. Our bodies are amazing and they know exactly what they are doing! Our bodies set us up for success, it's our mind that fails us. Give it all that you've got and you won't be sorry! B)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    joeymcrib wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Carbs are important, You need to perfect the balance and consistently stick to it and you will burn weight! Strippers are great too on the side, but its not about what exercise you do, from my experience 90% is what you eat. You can lose weight by changing diet and not exercise!

Nope

You just need to adhere to fewer calories in than calories out for weight loss

And you don't need strippers

• tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Keep fighting! The body is not as simple as the calories in calories out. If it was, you would have lost weight!

As some have already said, the substance of your diet matters as well. Drink lots of water when making a change in your diet or exercise, and think about your body as a sports car. It runs best when you use a high octane fuel with low impurities in it. Seek out lean proteins and vegetables. They will get you full and keep your pistons pumping.

Lastly, your body is a preservationist. It's made to be that way. Losing weight is a singnal of starvation, and your body will fight that tooth and nail. Sometimes you have to treat you as an adversary. Don't give up when it seems hardest; results are usually just around the corner!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Keep going, OP! It took me about 4.5 weeks to see any weight loss whatsoever--but then it was four pounds at once that never came back! From everything I've read on MFP that is really, really on the high side--most people who don't see an initial change, start seeing movement downward a little after two weeks. You're almost there!
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi Helen

If you've gone from virtually no exercise to quite a bit you may be retaining some fluid. It's very early days yet! I know it's discouraging to not see the scales move, but if you are weighing and measuring your food, logging everything, and doing some exercise it will happen. Also, doing body measurements is a really good idea, sometimes the scales aren't moving, but you will be losing inches.

This - many, many women - myself included - have the same issue. Your fat stores are likely decreasing but water retention is taking its place. The laws of science ( being at a deficit will result in loss of mass) will not be revealed to not apply to you. Many women will take 4-6 weeks to see the water weight come off - and then they may have a huge change all at once. Decreasing carb intake can encourage the water weight to leave sooner - but most of us really want fat loss and since that is happening anyway . . . eat at a deficit in a way that works for you and keep up the good work.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing that needs to be adjusted is your expectations. You don't have much to lose, and normal ways of tracking progress - the scale and the measuring tape - aren't going to show dramatic changes in just two weeks. Actually... there's not much of ANY kind of change you're going to see that quickly.
    If you haven't taken "before" photos, take some now. From every angle, in minimal clothing. Don't delete the ones you hate. Don't worry about showing them to anyone else. They're just for you. Then take more in about a month or so. You'll see changes you wouldn't have seen by the scale or tape or even the mirror, because you see yourself every day and the changes are like watching grass grow.

As an example, here's my photos from mid-January to early March. About seven weeks and five pounds between the two photos. My measurements hadn't changed all that much at the waist and hips. But if you look at the area where the strap of my top goes around my back, you can see I definitely lost a good amount of fat from that area.

IMG_20150306_131018_zpseyzb94pp.jpg
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jules, is there any way of getting rid of water retention?

Keep drinking plenty of water and the muscles will soon adjust to the new regime and the water retention will ease. Patience is your best tool!! I am sure if you give it a week or so doing what you are doing you will see the scales and the inches drop...
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Actually, as I read further down the list - Rabbitjb, Tesha_Chandler and Springfield1970 have all given very sound advice - and phrased it better than me. The point is - you are only 12 days in. I think I may have actually been over my starting weight at that time - but I just kept on and now I am back down and almost at my first goal. This is a very common issue for women - especially after about 2 weeks of exercise. But for many women, water weight will continue to fluctuate with hormones and carb intake (causes many to hold on to a little more fluid to process it).
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »
    1. go here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and enter in your stats. Make sure you choose the correct fitness level. Take the number it gives you and multiply that by 0.85, that will be your calorie goal. Go into goals and hit change goals, and choose custom. Enter in your daily calorie goal. Then change your carbs to 40%, your protein to 30-35% and fat to 25% - 30%. And try that for a few weeks. After you lose 5 lbs, recalculate your calories. Since you don't have a lot to go, do it every 5 lbs and see how that does for you. I prefer a higher fat diet, but see what you like and adjust accordingly. Get rid of the 1200, because as you lose you will need to drop calories, and you don't want to drop to nothing.

Why are you multiplying by 0.85?? Just curious. Trying to get this figured out for myself. I have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day.

• helen772010
    helen772010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for all of your suggestions and words of encourgement, I will make water my new best friend.
    I was actually due a period last week and no sign of it as yet, maybe due to excercise? I dont know. no, not pregnant partners had the snip. ( that was all way to much info).
    Timorous beastie you look fab.
    I will have a look at trendweight and also try and not weigh myself every day, think I'll have to hide the scales though.
    Thanks everyone for your help and support
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »
    1. go here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and enter in your stats. Make sure you choose the correct fitness level. Take the number it gives you and multiply that by 0.85, that will be your calorie goal. Go into goals and hit change goals, and choose custom. Enter in your daily calorie goal. Then change your carbs to 40%, your protein to 30-35% and fat to 25% - 30%. And try that for a few weeks. After you lose 5 lbs, recalculate your calories. Since you don't have a lot to go, do it every 5 lbs and see how that does for you. I prefer a higher fat diet, but see what you like and adjust accordingly. Get rid of the 1200, because as you lose you will need to drop calories, and you don't want to drop to nothing.

Why are you multiplying by 0.85?? Just curious. Trying to get this figured out for myself. I have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day.

Multiplying it by .85 would be a 15% deficit (100-15=85) which is a good amount for someone with less than 20 pounds to lose.

That would be your total calories per day, not a base plus exercise calories like MFP's method.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Patience, you can do it! It just takes time. The scales definitely do a number on your mind. I had to change my thinking to focus on "fat loss" instead of "weight loss". I'm a much happier person.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Have your measurements changed? ie, are you losing fat and building muscle?

not doing 30 day shred..

I think I am going to start a thread about this ..because this myth is driving me nuts….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

doesn't matter if OP is in a deficit