Becoming very disheartened :(

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - what are you using to measure calorie burns? Are you eating back 100% of your exercise calories?
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    You really don't have a lot to lose, so you're not going to see those big initial loses that more overweight people do.

This. I was at a standstill for about three weeks right at the start - was pretty frustrated, too, because I had been very faithful. I kept at it, and after the third week, I started seeing the scale move - but most importantly, I was proud of my efforts and things were, um, tightening up. ;) It's a long road and not a straight one but a constant ebb and flow (mixing metaphors like a champ). Keep going!
  • helen772010
    helen772010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ndj some days I will eat back my workout calories but most days not, feel that if I eat the its will counter the workout benefit.
    Should I be eating them ?
  • lecoman
    lecoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are probably tired of hearing that it takes time and to have patience but, unfortunately, that's the truth. Stay the course. Also remember that by exercising and eating well you are doing good things for your body that will not be measured by tape or scale. Health and fitness always pay off and only become more valuable as we age. You will do it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ndj some days I will eat back my workout calories but most days not, feel that if I eat the its will counter the workout benefit.
    Should I be eating them ?

well I would say that if you are going to eat them back, only eat back half; the reason for this is that MFP database and calorie counters in general tend to overestimate calorie burns…

so when you do eat them back, only eat back half….

• helen772010
    Options
    I will try and incorperate more protein into my diet, I just googled and hemp seeds and eggs look like a good option
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs, too little protein.

Irrelevant.
    OP are you actually using a food scale? You have 75 grams of chicken-that's less than 3 ounces? As far as actual weight loss, don't worry about it, it will come. When incorporating a new exercise program its normal to retain water. Additionally, remember these things take time.
  • helen772010
    Options
    Thanks ndj for the advice. Thanks lecoman, what was your start and finish weight Leigh ?
  • fgarbrec
    fgarbrec Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The estimate MFP and most other programs make to determine your daily calorie requirement is only that: an estimate based on your age, sex and current weight. Your 'true' basal caloric requirement can vary widely from this estimate based on many factors (and therefore the estimate it gives you may not be accurate). And as many other posters have suggested, water balance can play a major factor in day to day fluctuations, but over the longer term should balance out. If you are accurately recording calorie intake over a sufficient length of time (1-2 months) and there is no weight loss, then the conclusion should be that your calorie intake exceeds your caloric expenditure; therefore you should decrease your caloric intake further. Trendweight is a great tool to help filter out the day-to-day fluctuations and keep you sane, and the concepts on which Trendweight is based is described very well in "The Hacker's Diet", which I recommend reading for its down to earth mechanistic approach to weight loss. In terms of macronutrient balance, practically any approach will 'work' as long as calories out is greater than calories in; there may be important health ramifications for any given approach (e.g. extreme low carb vs Paleo vs Mediterranean, etc), but these continue to be subject to scientific study and proponents of each approach will argue the fine points and benefits and long-term effects on weight loss and general health. You may have to educate yourself on nutrition and various dietary management strategies, and you may need to experiment somewhat to find an approach that 'works' for you in the sense that it provides an interesting diet that you can stick to over the long term. For example, many people achieve weight loss on Atkins but find that long-term adherence is problematic because too many 'favorite' foods are excluded and it is easy to slip up. Many diets are difficult to adhere to if they have lots of specific rules or require hard to find ingredients simply because dining out becomes a problem and you find yourself cooking one meal for yourself and a different meal for the other members of your family; you may find this acceptable but it requires a lot of discipline.

A couple of parting words. Check in with your doctor to make sure that your diet plan is safe and healthy for you, and also to inquire about potential metabolic issues that may be present that could be responsible for poor response to your diet (such as hypothyroidism). You are fortunate to have a supportive spouse who is on the same nutritional path, this clearly is going to be very helpful, but as others have pointed out don't make it a competition or compare your weight loss to his. Men have quite different body structures, fat distributions and hormonal factors that contribute in general to weight loss rate. Finally, be patient! You will succeed, but it takes time (more than two weeks!).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Have your measurements changed? ie, are you losing fat and building muscle?

not doing 30 day shred..

I think I am going to start a thread about this ..because this myth is driving me nuts….

Please do, because if I see one more person post this...

tumblr_mojquvAnJe1qjejgbo1_400.gif

While you're at it, can you add something in about macro distribution not hindering weight loss for people without medical conditions?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Too many carbs, too little protein.

Unless she has a medical condition that requires a lower carb approach that's completely irrelevant to weight loss.

Nonsense. Eat nothing but carbs and zero protein and watch what happens...

Nobody is recommending eliminating protein. Saying that one will lose weight on a deficit even if carbs are eaten has nothing to do with the ridiculous suggestion to eliminate protein.

• helen772010
    Options
    Things noted,
    Drink lots more water
    Up protein intake
    Be patient
    Keep going
    MFP is a great place for motivation and support

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, I always weigh out food and if not practical then I always over estimate the calories so as not to cheat myself and go over. I measured my self on day one of 30 day shred and again on day 10, no change, I'm gutted because I'm putting everything in.
    Yes I well definatley try and drink more water as your right I don't drink enough, I would like to lose 16 pound to be at the weight I was 3 years ago.
    Please from my diet what items are full of carbs and which are the protein foods ? I'm not very savvy on on carbs, proteins
    It hurts more that my partner although on the same diet but no exercise at all is losing weight albeit just a pound a week but still a loss.

Sounds like you're doing awesome things for yourself! Congratulations! Wanted to make sure that you know that exercise has nothing to do with weight loss though. I think some people feel like if they're killing themselves in the gym, they should lose weight faster. This isn't true. It's all about being in a calorie deficit. If working out super hard is demotivating to you, maybe you should scale back a bit and just focus on your calories? I know this is the case for me. In past weight loss attempts I would get very frustrated when I worked hard in the gym and didn't see the scale move. Now I have different priorities. Weight loss is number 1. Exercise is number 2. So, as long as I'm in a good calorie place right now, I'm ecstatic. Exercising is a bonus. This approach will change when I reach my goal (another 5 pounds). At that point I plant I slowly switch to maintenance calories, and to focus instead on amount of exercise every week. I've lost 12 pounds in 9 weeks, with 18 pounds total to lose. Feel free to check out my diary- it's open.