Iron supplement's

Options
Does anyone if there are Iron supplements in gummy form. I have a problem swallowing pills. My iron is always low, but when I do get it up I feel better. I just can't seem to fit enough into my daily diet.

Replies

• arostganomo
    Options
    No gummies, but I have a multivitamin (with iron) that dissolves in water. Tastes like lemonade.
  • art2314
    art2314 Posts: 10
    Options
    What is it called? Where can I look for that?
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Crush it up and stir it into a smoothie?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Have you tried iron tablets? They're pretty small. You could even squish it into something like you need to do for a pet.

Failing that, leafy greens and red meat.
  • ryanp_942
    ryanp_942 Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Try fortified cereals/bread to up your iron if you have trouble with pills. Also remember the database isn't perfect - iron, calcium etc. are often not recorded and most people actually get enough iron in their diet without supplements.
  • art2314
    Options
    I just started on this yesterday and logging. I am considering using Flintstones gummies with iron even though they are for kids. Lol Just to get a bit more into my daily.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Have you tried iron tablets? They're pretty small. You could even squish it into something like you need to do for a pet.

Failing that, leafy greens and red meat.

This is what I do, they're tiny - if you blinked you might lose it. Not sure if this person is having the same problem with lethargy as me but been suggested these are worth a try for that.
  • art2314
    Options
    I prefer oatmeal with fruit, it tends to stay with me longer than cereal. I always end up starving by 1030/11am if I have cereal. Maybe I haven't found the right one yet.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    art2314 wrote: »
    I prefer oatmeal with fruit, it tends to stay with me longer than cereal. I always end up starving by 1030/11am if I have cereal. Maybe I haven't found the right one yet.

I'm with you on the porridge - much better for you than 'enriched' cereal. Honestly, just try a tablet, they're tiny and cheap,q32slmwxtfc4.jpg

• art2314
    Options
    Its not a money thing. I truly cannot take pills. I have only ever got one pill down, then it came right back up. I have tried multiple times since, my doctor says my throat might be shaped oddly or something. She said they did a study here at one of the big hospitals and found this is a real thing. I have been told, your a weenie just take it, but I'm not, it just won't seem to go. But my thing is, if I can swallow food why not a pill. Boggles the mind.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not supplement related, but maybe you'll find this info on iron from foods interesting. I don't supplement but have high iron levels in my blood, thankfully, especially for my age (I'm told).

How can I get the most iron from food?

The amount of iron you absorb depends on the type of iron you eat. There are 2 types of iron:
    heme iron, which is found in meat, fish and poultry, and is well absorbed; and
    non-heme iron, which is found in beans and lentils, whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds, and eggs, and is not as well absorbed.

You can absorb more non-heme iron by eating foods high in vitamin C or heme iron at the same time.

Vitamin C rich foods include:
    red, yellow and green peppers;
    broccoli;
    Brussels sprouts;
    snow peas;
    papaya;
    kiwi fruit;
    strawberries;
    oranges (including 100% juice); and
    grapefruit (including 100% juice).

You can also drink other 100% fruit juices that have added vitamin C.

Examples of food combinations that help you to get the most iron include:
    split pea soup (non-heme iron) with some ham (heme iron);
    iron fortified breakfast cereal (non-heme iron) with an orange or half a grapefruit (vitamin C); and
    lentils (non-heme iron), broccoli, and red peppers (vitamin C) in tomato sauce.

To increase the amount of non-heme iron in foods, cook with cast-iron or stainless steel cookware.

Tea or coffee can reduce the amount of non-heme iron absorbed from foods. Drink these beverages 1 hour after meals, rather than with your meal.

from http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/healthfiles/hfile68c.stm

55835802.png
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Great info @sodakat - I knew about the vit c but not the mixing of meat and veg sources (although I tend to do this with meals anyway, might look a bit closer at the combos). I've also asked a few times about the cooking with cast iron but no one has been able to tell me. I was also considering a cast iron teapot but I just end up always taking the supplements (anaemic and have been for 20 odd years).

OP: I have a friend who is the same with pills, if she's having to take a painkiller she will chew up a caramel or something and stick it inside :/
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There is a liquid supplement too. It tastes pretty nasty but if you mix it with juice and take it like a shot, its not so bad.