sometimes I dont see it

Options
Its funny and sometimes depressing that I dont see the changes I think I should. I started just after thanksgiving at 185 and today I am 158. I am happy that I lose every week,gone from size 38 to 34 jeans and have been taken off 1 of my Diabetes pills. But sometimes I dont think i look a whole lot different. i am 5feet 5 inches tall and my goal is 145 but I am beginning to think it should be lower. Thoughts? opinions?
159. 8lnch0eafwu7.jpg
c7a79a69pbfy.jpg
de5hn0ydb9ve.jpg
h8hion82l37t.jpg

the first pic I am 185 the second I am 162 and the last 2 I am at my current weight of 158.
thinking 145 may not be enough. Dont mind the messy spare room it doubles as my gym and hockey gear locker.

Replies

• wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    ok then
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I've lost 53 and I'm 30 ish away from my goal. I originally said 140 because it is just inside of the healthy weight bmi chart. Who knows, I may want to lose more when I get there or I may not.

As far as not seeing it, I'm the same way. When I first started I was amazed. Then all of a sudden, I looked in the mirror and saw no change. I honestly thought I was bigger. My husband thinks I'm nuts, of course. I've found that instead of focusing on my body image or on my weight, I've focused on my fitness milestones. It has gradually helped me feel better about my body and overall image.

Even though we perceive ourselves as still being 'large', using alternative measuring tools is helpful. I like to use clothing. Jeans that were once too small are now too big, shorts I bought a month ago that now hang off, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind, we don't lose weight where we want to. The first thing to go for me was my double chin. Then the upper part of my stomach. For two months I had a weird shape. Even places we never think about, like our forearms will lose fat. So, just because we don't see the changes, doesn't mean they aren't happening. :)
  • LCurry822
    LCurry822 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing ;)
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    FWIW... You look great! But I get it! Somedays I look in the mirror and wonder if my body will EVER change! (And this is after losing 150 pounds) I think sometimes it takes awhile for our brain to get the message and to start seeing what's really there (or NOT there in this case!) instead of what it's used to seeing. Not to mention that we are our own worst critic and we see ourselves everyday. It's hard to see change in those circumstances.
  • wils5150
    Options
    Maybe its the ebb and flow of losing. I guess we have good and bad visual days. thanks
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I see a great transformation, well done! I agree that it can take time to realize the difference after looking at your old self for so long.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    FWIW Loads of us have similar issues. Many of us get fat , without truly noticing until it smacks us in the face or we get told.

In the same way , many of us can only notice the changes , what we lose , when we look back at how heavy we were.

It's good to document with photos so you can see how far you have come. I use my photos of me at my heaviest as a means to keep me on track.

You're doing great
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I can see a big difference. And honestly, losing one of your medications is a huge deal in itself. Woo hoo! You are doing great and getting so much healthier. Get down to your goal and reevaluate if you need to change it. I think that you will know what's right for you when you get closer to the goal you have set.
  • chilimister
    chilimister Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    How do you feel ? It must be easier to do stairs, etc..
  • wils5150
    Options
    How do you feel ? It must be easier to do stairs, etc..
    I feel great!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I think you'll have to just wait and see if you're happy when you hit your goal. Sometimes losing weight means you end up with a smaller version of the same shape, and might need to do some strength training to get the lines you want. You might end up heavier than your goal weight but with a different composition, which is my goal.
    Your goal does not need to be set in stone and you can adjust it whenever you like.
  • wils5150
    Options
    i do lift so thats helping too. like most guys the fat in the gut is always the last to go lol
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know where you're coming from. When I went from 254 down to 214 everyone else saw the difference, except me. I am pretty sure I've got that body dysmorphia thing going for me though. I ended up back at like 265 pounds at the beginning of this year, and I'm currently 244. I still can't see a difference, but last night my fiance was talking to me as I was getting ready for bed, and he told me he could see a slight difference. He's always been honest with me about how I look (without being judgmental), so I trust his opinion.

I can definitely see a difference from your pics. Congrats and good luck!