Food Is My Problem!

Options
beautyzlight
beautyzlight Posts: 23
edited March 2015 in Getting Started
Well, I can sit here and tell you all that I'm just perfect on my diet, following it thoroughly but to be honest, the food is my problem!!

I will spend 6 days working out and I will do weights and all. But I believe the reason I don't lose as much weight is the food. I am 5'7 228 pounds, my calorie intake should be 1,550 calories per day to lose 2 pounds per week. I do have a hard time some times trying to input the correct calories becAuse either I can't find it or the numbers are always off and sometimes I just have a feeling even though it's days a certain amount it's off. Also some days I just have major.cravings and I have like an addiction to food... sad n true...Anyways. . how many of you have the same issue and what can you suggest and what has helped you overcome this problem.... FOOD???!!

Let's encourage one another....:) :D

Replies

• bigres20
    bigres20 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi there how you doing? So yea food is 80% of the battle, don't feel alone in this part of it, we all face the same struggle. Some way shape or form. Good work on hitting the workouts consistently! You've got that part down it sounds like. Couple questions, do you hit the 1550 cals/day consistently? And what are those cals made of?

Also, when the food cravings hit, do you track those cals as well?

Glad to support you here, I definitely can relate in a similar way. Let me know how I can help :)
  • beautyzlight
    Options
    bigres20 wrote: »
    Hi there how you doing? So yea food is 80% of the battle, don't feel alone in this part of it, we all face the same struggle. Some way shape or form. Good work on hitting the workouts consistently! You've got that part down it sounds like. Couple questions, do you hit the 1550 cals/day consistently? And what are those cals made of?

Glad to support you here, I definitely can relate in a similar way. Let me know how I can help :)

Hello, and thank you!! Actually I've just started this journey/app today so I'm pretty excited about it... becAuse of the fact I have to many.cravings and snacks throughout the day lol!! But, yes 1,550 cals are the required amount to lose the 2 lbs a week on this app I guess. Yo me, it seems a bit much. My calories are mainly veggies, not starchy ones, fruits not to sweet, and lean protein. I try to stay away from rice, bread, pasta and some potatoes, and of course candies and chips and fried foods and.fatty foods. Just sometimes once in.a.while I.am go back to eat fatty for a few days and.then I regret it and.gain :(
  • coretemp
    coretemp Posts: 1,796 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, Knock it down to losing 1 lb. per week instead of 2 and be consistent with your food. A little extra snack every now and then shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also you can create your own custom list of the foods you eat and enter the nutritional values from the label so you know that all of the amounts are correct when you enter them in your diary.
  • beautyzlight
    Options
    coretemp wrote: »
    Hi, Knock it down to losing 1 lb. per week instead of 2 and be consistent with your food. A little extra snack every now and then shouldn't be too much of a problem. Also you can create your own custom list of the foods you eat and enter the nutritional values from the label so you know that all of the amounts are correct when you enter them in your diary.

Sounds awesome. Thank you for that. I noticed that under the calorie intake section we can jot down our fav foods and their calories that way we don't have to go searching. I'm most definetlybgoing to do that. Anyhow, I eat the same things most of the time lol thanks!!!!

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Hello, and thank you!! Actually I've just started this journey/app today so I'm pretty excited about it... becAuse of the fact I have to many.cravings and snacks throughout the day lol!! But, yes 1,550 cals are the required amount to lose the 2 lbs a week on this app I guess. Yo me, it seems a bit much. My calories are mainly veggies, not starchy ones, fruits not to sweet, and lean protein. I try to stay away from rice, bread, pasta and some potatoes, and of course candies and chips and fried foods and.fatty foods. Just sometimes once in.a.while I.am go back to eat fatty for a few days and.then I regret it and.gain :(

You can eat candies and chips, fried foods, fatty foods, rice, bread, pasta, whatever. Just log them accurately, every time. Stick to your calorie target, so you have to work them in. Portion control is important -- so if your old bowl of pasta was actually 4 portions of pasta, you'll need to knock it down to work it in.

The reasons you may have gained in the past from eating the foods you try to stay away from. Either a) you just went over calories or b) because you were lower carb and lower salt, suddenly bumping up to higher carb and higher salt can cause your body to retain a few pounds of water. (Which is temporary, and just water. Nothing to be afraid of.)

And get yourself a kitchen scale. Otherwise, yes, your calorie counts probably are off, maybe even significantly (by many hundreds over the course of a day).

Be careful when choosing entries from the database. It's tricky and there's a lot to learn, so ask questions if you need to. But as a general rundown -- entries with no asterisk are more official, while asterisks come from users. Asterisked entries can be confirmed by other users, so you can look for the confirmations. If you can check the info, you can also correct or confirm an asterisked entry. Use info from the packaging you have if you ate packaged food -- but actually weigh the packaged food too, you'll be surprised. Log what you weighed -- if you weighed your chicken before you cooked it, look for the raw entry. Use the recipe builder to enter your recipes, never use a user created recipe (since you don't know what's in it) unless you're desperate. If you eat out and that item isn't available in the database or on the web (most chains have their info available!) then look for other restaurant items and try to pick something on the high end of calories, for good measure.

And I second the suggestion to set your goal to 1 lb or 1.5 lbs a week, to get more calories to eat.

You should also log your exercise. MFP will give you those calories back to eat! (Eat maybe 50-75%, as they can be overestimations.)

Sometimes you'll go over target. We all do. Log it and enjoy the food and you'll do better another day. It's not about being perfect, it's about the trend. If you hit more often than not, and if you're not eating a week's worth of deficit in a binge, you'll lose weight.
  • jimclaybaugh
    jimclaybaugh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completely understand the food addiction issue. It has been my barrier for years. But this time I'm trying something new which is a no-carb thing broken down into large breakfast, medium size lunch and small dinner. These meals include whole foods, lots of veggies, with little or anything processed or out of a box... if you exclude the eggs out of a carton ;-).

For the first time ever my food cravings are under control! I am not an advocate of any particular diet -- but this particular food plan is working for me. No idea if it'll work for others but my only advice is follow the plan and don't give up.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

First, don't do 2lbs/wk, go down to 1lb/wk. Second, all these foods you're trying to avoid, don't avoid them. Incorporate them into your daily meals. You can make all kinds of food fit into your daily calories. The only reason you gain weight is because you're eating more than you should... not the kinds of foods you're eating. Stick to your calories given and eat your food without thinking some are ok to eat and some are not. You can have a look at my diary and see I eat all different kinds of food and I'm still losing weight. Also, when looking for food entries choose the ones without an asterisk as those are the most accurate. :flowerforyou:
  • beautyzlight
    Options

First, don't do 2lbs/wk, go down to 1lb/wk. Second, all these foods you're trying to avoid, don't avoid them. Incorporate them into your daily meals. You can make all kinds of food fit into your daily calories. The only reason you gain weight is because you're eating more than you should... not the kinds of foods you're eating. Stick to your calories given and eat your food without thinking some are ok to eat and some are not. You can have a look at my diary and see I eat all different kinds of food and I'm still losing weight. Also, when looking for food entries choose the ones without an asterisk as those are the most accurate. :flowerforyou:

Okay I see!!!! Well that's awesome your losing weight first of all!! I have a problem with snacking all day on little unhealthy things like chips, candy, sweets etc.... I feel like the foods on here aren't accurate and you said the ones WITHOUT the star are??? Awesome thanks for feedback!!!
  • beautyzlight
    Options

You can eat candies and chips, fried foods, fatty foods, rice, bread, pasta, whatever. Just log them accurately, every time. Stick to your calorie target, so you have to work them in. Portion control is important -- so if your old bowl of pasta was actually 4 portions of pasta, you'll need to knock it down to work it in.

The reasons you may have gained in the past from eating the foods you try to stay away from. Either a) you just went over calories or b) because you were lower carb and lower salt, suddenly bumping up to higher carb and higher salt can cause your body to retain a few pounds of water. (Which is temporary, and just water. Nothing to be afraid of.)

And get yourself a kitchen scale. Otherwise, yes, your calorie counts probably are off, maybe even significantly (by many hundreds over the course of a day).

Be careful when choosing entries from the database. It's tricky and there's a lot to learn, so ask questions if you need to. But as a general rundown -- entries with no asterisk are more official, while asterisks come from users. Asterisked entries can be confirmed by other users, so you can look for the confirmations. If you can check the info, you can also correct or confirm an asterisked entry. Use info from the packaging you have if you ate packaged food -- but actually weigh the packaged food too, you'll be surprised. Log what you weighed -- if you weighed your chicken before you cooked it, look for the raw entry. Use the recipe builder to enter your recipes, never use a user created recipe (since you don't know what's in it) unless you're desperate. If you eat out and that item isn't available in the database or on the web (most chains have their info available!) then look for other restaurant items and try to pick something on the high end of calories, for good measure.

And I second the suggestion to set your goal to 1 lb or 1.5 lbs a week, to get more calories to eat.

You should also log your exercise. MFP will give you those calories back to eat! (Eat maybe 50-75%, as they can be overestimations.)

Sometimes you'll go over target. We all do. Log it and enjoy the food and you'll do better another day. It's not about being perfect, it's about the trend. If you hit more often than not, and if you're not eating a week's worth of deficit in a binge, you'll lose weight.

Thank you SO much that was so HELPFUL!!! I'm so excited about counting my calories as I know it will result in weight loss. My goal is 60 lbs but I'm starting small.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, most of us have food problems
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not calling food the enemy. It nourishes us and it tastes good.
    If I were you I would add some carbohydrates and some fats (small amounts like a tablespoon) back in to your diet to give you greater satisfaction.

Have healthy snacks pre-portioned and available when you get hungry, then eat.

Here's some ideas for halting a binge session mid-stream.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131

I'd like to see you get back to loving food again for all it does for you.
  • judicaporaletti
    Options
    Well, I can sit here and tell you all that I'm just perfect on my diet, following it thoroughly but to be honest, the food is my problem!!

I will spend 6 days working out and I will do weights and all. But I believe the reason I don't lose as much weight is the food. I am 5'7 228 pounds, my calorie intake should be 1,550 calories per day to lose 2 pounds per week. I do have a hard time some times trying to input the correct calories becAuse either I can't find it or the numbers are always off and sometimes I just have a feeling even though it's days a certain amount it's off. Also some days I just have major.cravings and I have like an addiction to food... sad n true...Anyways. . how many of you have the same issue and what can you suggest and what has helped you overcome this problem.... FOOD???!!

Let's encourage one another....:) :D

• judicaporaletti
    Options
    It happens to all of us. Just do the best you can and don't let it control your life. Good luck!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I found my cravings were insane when I tried to work out and diet at the same time. I had a food addiction too and the temptation is to use work out as an excuse to eat. I had to focus on getting a handle on my addiction to food before I could add additional temptation. I know that is not common advise but I went from 218 to 118 using this method. I am now in the gym after spending 2yrs getting used to maintenance and I have decent tone and control over my eating habits. If it is too much to take on both exercise and diet then focus on diet. You can always increase your basic activity level (take the stairs park further away dance in your livingroom) in such a way that it does not tempt you to eat more.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have found that when you eat crap foods you end up having to eat much less and run around hungry all the time. On my journey I have lost over 60lbs and i chose to eat pretty healthy, i wish i could say i don't consume processed foods anymore however i still do i find it is the easiest way to get enough fiber into my diet and stay within my calorie limit.