What is the popping/shocking sensation in my thighs after walking a long distance?

Options
I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about so I don't seem like a complete weirdo. :stuck_out_tongue:

After I walk for a good length of time, when I finally sit down, I feel these weird popping or small shock sensations in my (huge) thighs. It feel like maybe half an inch to an inch below the skin, and it happens in different areas.

Does anyone know what that is? I imagine it's fat cells exploding, but I know that's too good to be true! Haha!

Replies

• 2boys111
    2boys111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I get it too! I don't remember the science behind it but my Dr. said it is not harmful and a good sign after exercising!
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA !!!!! I gotta say " thanks for the laugh"... on the fat cells popping. Love it.
    I am interested the answer to this too....
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I love it! Lol
    I got a gym membership a month ago, and in he last 2 weeks, I have noticed that my thighs are doing this, too...like rice crispies. I'm going to have to do some research now to see what's actually going on. I do love the idea of the fat cells exploding! My fat cells just stopped exploding about about 30 minutes ago.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I looked it up. Its caused by a combination of muscles contracting and blood vessel dilation during a workout, then them returning to normal after a workout.
    Have you lost weight lately? That can add to the popping sensation, too, because the blood is now able to flow into areas of the muscles that were previously cut off by fat cells. I have lost 11lbs since February 14, and started noticing the popping after 5-8 lbs or so. I think I would actually be a bit sad if this stops when I get closer to my goal weight. I don't usually come out of a good workout with muscle soreness, so this is MY indicator that I had a good workout.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered this too! I assumed it wasn't harmful, but had never looked it up. Thanks for the answer!