sugar in fruit

Options
why does fruit have so much sugar? I managed 6 portions today but off fruit alone i went over my sugar by 200%! Which fruits are low in sugar?

Replies

• sirion2
    sirion2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm letting sugar from fruits go higher. I focus on added sugar. Also increasing veggies. If you eat any dairy, your sugar will be high, too, due to lactose.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If fruit had less sugar it would be a vegetable. Or if you want to get scientific some nuts would be classified as fruits.

Fruits have sugar yes, but they are wrapped in a lovely fiber sandwich and also are full of vitamins.

I say ignore the macro overage and enjoy your fruit.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Raspberries
    Strawberries
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Green apples
    Green grapes
    Avocados
  • ohdear1986
    ohdear1986 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ok as my calories are set as 1410 for a 1lb loss, i had tropical juice with plum, apple and kiwi fruit and by then i was at my daily max for sugar. i then had lemon squeezed into water, other fruit was mango and 2 carrots blended (i also had a sandwich and a hot meal) calories have come in at 1333 so under my set amount yet sugar is 98! (set goal is 53)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fruit is better than juice.

I'll give you a demo. Cut one orange and squeeze all the juice you can out of it. How much does that measure out to? One cup of juice is equivalent to 3-4 oranges. That's how it adds up so fast.

The orange by itself will give you a lot more fibre.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Some of those tropical juices are very high in sugar. Personally when trying to lose weight I try to stay away from juices.
  • IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I am cutting down for a show. (Losing Fat) I limit my fruits to 1 serving a day. Usually Post workout to get a insulin spike. Fruits have a ton of sugar there really is no way around it! Sorry hope this helps
  • ohdear1986
    ohdear1986 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    all my fruits listed above where fresh except for the tropical juice and then i only used 5oz. I squeezed about 1oz of fresh lemon into 20oz of water. The plum, kiwi, apple was blended into a smoothie with the tropical juice.
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Heh, try not eating sugar for a few weeks and then taste an orange. You'll realize where all the sugar is. Oranges taste like CANDY to me now.

Man, don't worry about it, enjoy your fruits unless you have a medical reason to be tracking every and all sugars. Better to have a fruit than a candy.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    ohdear1986 wrote: »
    why does fruit have so much sugar? I managed 6 portions today but off fruit alone i went over my sugar by 200%! Which fruits are low in sugar?

Google the Glycemic Index and you can find a list. Generally, anything tropical is very high in sugar and berries/cherries are lower.