Bad knees

Options
How do I effectively exercise when I have bad knees? I was doing JM ripped in 30, and xfactor for 30 mins every day, and my knees suffered greatly so it would always put me out the next week and I could not participate. I was seeing results, but my knees can't take that abuse daily. I've been trying to bike ride every day is nice iut, for 20 minutes. I feel like my heart rate is getting up, but I'm wondering if I'll see results like with JM... my wedding is in 5 months and I have a vacation to cancun in 8 months. So far all I've done is gain weight! I was up 6lbs, then I started cutting back on my food since I wasn't exercising every day, and now I'm only up 2lbs. My goal is to lose 15lbs. I'm not sure I have enough time, my first fitting for my dress is next month! Even if I lose 5lbs I'll be happy for mow, but I definitely want to lose more before Cancun in 8 months! Help!

Replies

• josh4m9g27
    josh4m9g27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Biking is good if your knees will allow, but swimming would also be a big help.
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Having dodgy knees at times too I found fitness blender have some low or zero impact routines on YouTube that were good for me.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Look up quad strengthening exercises, such as knee extensions with ankle weights. Your quads need to be strong to support the knees. Also, check your form whenever you squat or lunge. Find videos showing the correct form. When you squat, your body should look like you are getting ready to sit, with your butt sticking out. It would benefit you to do a few sessions with a physical therapist to learn how to protect your knees.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Bad knees is incredibly vague
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've water rehabbed from arthroscopic surgery for a meniscus tear... and since have found that continuing the stretching and strength training - in the water - to work for me and have added swimming 4 x a week for overall cardio exercise. All recommended by orthopedic surgeon. No impact on the knees and no pain.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    anything low impact - walking, elliptical, swimming, biking, yoga, etc etc etc
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MissT02 wrote: »
    How do I effectively exercise when I have bad knees?

Knees are very complex joints and can be affected by a number of different things, in a number of different ways. So it's very difficult to suggest anything without knowing significantly more about the problem.

That said, it seems that your weight is your big concern, in which case you need to step back and assess how you can combine getting your calories under control with cardiovascular exercise and some form of strength/ resistance training. The three work in conjunction with one another to give you the results that you're after.

Given your targets, set up MFP to determine what your calorie deficit needs to be to meet your goals. Plan out a combination of CV work and resistance work. Your question largely applied to CV work but again without knowing more it's difficult to answer meaningfully.

As far as low impact CV is concerned, then cycling or swimming could help, although in both cases depending on the knee problem could make the problem worse. From what you describe as the cause that's less likely in my view, with the strong caveat that it's based purely on a fairly open statement from you. IF you are swimming then avoid breast stroke, stick to crawl and back stroke. CV work helps you develop your stamina and ednurance, builds heart and lung capacity and burns the calories. As long as you've set up MFP then eat back the calories that you burn, or at least a significant proportion, to avoid an excessive deficit that becomes unhealthy.

For resistance training, it depends on what you have available to you. Bodyweight work, as you'll find at nerdfitness.com, will help you to a large extent. If you have access to a gym then use the free weights, basing your work around an established plan like New Rules of Lifting. That gives you structure and allows for progress. Again it depends on the knee problem, but frequently these kind of problems are related to strength related causes, so you'll potentially find that the resistance work helps improve the knee.

All very heavily caveated and to be frank I'd recommend getting the knee looked at by a physio. A decent physio will help you get back to weight bearing, or higher impact, CV work. You get benefits around the muscular and skeletal system from weight bearing work that you really want.

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Some of those exercise videos (JM for sure), are pretty high-impact on the knees. Look for exercises that will engage your leg and butt muscles (to make them stronger) without having you bouncing up and down like a jumping-jack will do. If you make the muscles stronger, they will better support the knees, and allow you to do more.

Swimming is great. Strength training is great. Cycling. Even simple walking is better than nothing.
  • MissT02
    MissT02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the helpful advice! I appolgize for the vague statement that I have bad knees, but to be honest I haven't been to a DR to get them checked on what could be causing it, so I don't know how to be more specific...Thank you for the helpful comments back :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Visiting a physiotherapist could be a real eye-opener. I found out that I have too much flex in my knees, caused by stiff hips, caused by poor core muscle strength. So my physiotherapist has me on stretches and exercises to loosen up in some areas, tighten up in others.

My physiotherapist has warned me not to muscle through joint/tendon pain because recovery can be delayed months or even years. Listen to what your body is telling you. I suggest cutting your exercise routine in half, stretch before and after, and for losing weight concentrate on calorie control.

Oh, and you can modify nearly any exercise routine to a lower impact version of itself. I don't jump up and down on my heels for instance. You will have to have the internal fortitude to overcome any perceived peer pressure to "keep up" with your mates. Get in to your zone and do what is right for you.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling...anything that puts impact on my knees... running, jumping jacks, even lunges kill my knees. I never learn....for years now Ill decide Ive been feeling great, I can give this a go! Then end up putting myself out of commission since my knees will hurt so badly, I cant even go down stairs without feeling like Im going to die (yet going up them causes me no pain...go figure!)

Anyway, Ive started doing Pilates which has been awesome...Zumba also has been great for me since it doesnt involve *jumping* around, just a lot of fast paced fluid movements. Agree with biking, I need to get another bike, that was an awesome workout for me... Elliptical was also good for me...Swimming is *excellent*

I need to get myself to a doctor too though to get my knees figured out. It sucks to have knees like this.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bad knee here - over pronation - losing 50# definitely helped of course. My gauge for workouts is not pain, per se, it's whether there is more pain & how much for how long. I was hiking a couple of years ago and the down-hills were killing me. But I am a "never let it be said that I am not game" person, so I just powered through it. The next day, I actually had less knee pain than normal (this was before the weight loss). That led me to be less wary of pain-in-the-moment and more mindful of how it recovered.

All of that being said, I don't jump (those jump push presses, not happening for me) and I am vigilant about form on lunges and squats. For intervals, I used treadmill incline at a fast walk but the past few weeks started toying with a slow run ... the jury is still out on whether this is a good idea ... I just like the idea of being confident about moving faster than a fast walk if I ever really needed to.
  • MissT02
    MissT02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Jgnatca,Dragn77, and Maxit, sounds like we are in the same boats. Lol. Definitely losing 40ish lbs helped my knees, but seems like it will come and go. Definitely worse in winter, weather changes, and if I gain weight. I'm going to stick to riding my bike for now, but I would love to try zumba too! I've never tried it. Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

As far as calories, I'm always good for breakfast and lunch but dinners I struggle with. I would love to try out smaller dinner but a larger breakfast, but I'm nervous to! Has anyone had success doing this?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pilates? I figured it would be so easy and boring since I'm used to running and spinning but it kicks my butt in a totally different way. Paired with a good diet of course, it really changes your shape (think: looking wicked hot in a wedding dress/on the beach). Look up Blogilates videos on youtube, and on her website there's a calendar for each month when she tells you which of her videos to do each day. Everything's free. For eating, what is it about lunch and dinner that makes you struggle? Hard to stay under calories? Planning out your meals for the week helps a LOT. I find it easier to make breakfast the smallest meal but that's just because I like to eat more for lunch and dinner. I also ALWAYS eat a snack between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner, otherwise I will get way too hungry and eat more than I had planned.
  • vmm106
    vmm106 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you want a DVD to follow then 'Focus T25' is quite good for bad knees. It is also good for any level from beginner to advance and only takes 25mi a a day.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yes @alpine1994 ! You are speaking my language! Blogilates is exactly what I am doing right now, Im working on the Beginners Challenge before I move on to her monthly calendar, and OMG killing me softly! But in a *good* way LoL!

Oh and zero knee pain for sure...the workouts are intense, but with controlled movements, so muscles feel sore, but good sore, not "I should go see a doctor" pain like other workouts leave me feeling.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have one knee that causes me some pain (MCL & meniscus injury). My physiotherapist told me to strengthen all the muscles in my leg to take pressure off of it. I've found adding balancing exercises helps immensely. Making each leg work on its own means my good leg can't support the "bad" leg and helps it strengthen. Sometimes my knee is still achy but I ice it (& take an ibuprofen if necessary ) and it's usually good to go the next day.

Start with just standing on one leg until you can hold for about 30 seconds. Then you can add movement to test your balance (leaning forward/backward/side to side slightly). As that gets easier you can add extra weight.