Working out when still sore

Missylydia
Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I feel really silly asking this but I really want to know, is it a bad idea to work out when you're still really sore from the last workout?
Eg, I'm still sore from the workout I did 2 nights ago but feel quite guilty from not working out today, however, i am kinda scared I'll really hurt myself if I push it too hard.
I am planning to start protein shakes to recover quicker but I'll have to wait until pay day...

Replies

• campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    bump
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    bump bump =)
  • nightingail
    nightingail Posts: 16
    Well don't hurt your self! If you hurt then don't work out what hurts. But if anything hurts you should stretch it. You should stretch before and after every work out. :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    I always work out despite my soreness. There's a difference between being hurt and being sore. I always find I feel better and less sore after working out (while sore). You're body is adjusting but if you don't push yourself you'll never improve.

So maybe take it a little easier, but don't skip entirely!
  • You need to keep working out to work out the soreness.
    it is a good sore since this is muscles you have not been using and are now.
    keep up the working out.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    i have the same problems, does taking protein shakes after a workout, really help. i have fibromyalgia so i get sore easily and it lasts awhile
  • tabbilynn0402
    tabbilynn0402 Posts: 7 Member
    Ok.. I don't know what bump means, and would be interested to find out. Either way, working out when you're still sore is fine, and you are usually more sore on the second day after a workout then you were the first day after. You just really need to focus on stretching and really making sure your muscles are warmed up before starting a work out when you're sore. That will keep you away from strains and sprains. Also, you know your body better than anyone else. If you honestly know you're just sore- push through it! :) Just pay attention to any pain that does not feel like a sore muscle. Good luck! Hope this helped!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    It depends on how sore you're talking. I'm pretty tough on myself and almost never miss a workout through soreness. If something was really swollen or hot to the touch I probably wouldn't go back yet but otherwise, absolutely it's fine. Whenever I've changed up my routine I will often feel sore for a couple of days. If it goes on longer than that, you might want to check you're not overdoing it with your trainer. Also, mixing up cardio and weights on different days helps with the soreness, as does focussing on upper or lower body on different days.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Typical post workout or day after soreness is just a build up of Lactic Acid in the muscles. Lactic acid is a normal byproduct of muscle metabolism, but it can irritate muscles and cause discomfort and soreness.

Sadly the fastest way to get rid of the soreness is to work the muscle again. This increases the blood flow to the muscle not only clearing out the waste but allowing the body to more efficiently repair minor damage caused by use.

Just push through it if you can. Even if you have to take the workout down a notch.

I find it can last three days or more if I don't work out again. but it's gone in an hour or so if I do make myself work out.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Muscle soreness from your workouts rather than injury will actually heal faster if you workout. If you are injured it is a whole different thing.

I don't know of any studies on post workout protein shakes and muscle soreness since I have not really looked for any. From my own experience it helps reduce muscle pain from my workout.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    first, there's a difference between soreness and pain, so if it's pain you have, then no, you shouldn't work out, but if it's soreness/stiffness/uncomfortable feeling, then a good stretch, proper diet, and a light workout is generally fine. It all depends on your tolerance level, DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) isn't going to make things worse, but it can hamper your productivity if it's very severe, if it is, then it might be best to give it another day, or do something that doesn't involve the sore muscles.
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    yeah I agree witht he stretching before and after! It makes a big difference!

Also try drinking the recommended 2L of water a day, it really helps out and try and have a snack which has good levels of protien in it, as soon as possible after your exercise! IT gives you that protien boost which helps with your muscle recovery! maybe a low fat cheese string or portion? something like that? or perhaps some cooked turkey or chicken breast in a container in your gym bag?

that'll defo help out until you get your shakes delivered :)

xx
  • SHBoss1673
    Typical post workout or day after soreness is just a build up of Lactic Acid in the muscles. Lactic acid is a normal byproduct of muscle metabolism, but it can irritate muscles and cause discomfort and soreness.

Sadly the fastest way to get rid of the soreness is to work the muscle again. This increases the blood flow to the muscle not only clearing out the waste but allowing the body to more efficiently repair minor damage caused by use.

Just push through it if you can. Even if you have to take the workout down a notch.

I find it can last three days or more if I don't work out again. but it's gone in an hour or so if I do make myself work out.

No, lactic acid build up is removed from the muscle site within about 15 to 30 minutes post exercise. Next day soreness is something else (Called DOMS or Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) and is because of micro tears in the muscles, and an increase in activity in areas where nerves have somewhat atrophied and are rebuilding themselves.

Also, you should be very specific in telling someone to work sore muscles. doing the same workout that made them sore won't accomplish much at all until that muscle is fully healed, but doing light cardio to increase blood flow and oxygen delivery is helpful.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Typically when beginning an activity regimen, muscular soreness comes from using muscles that either haven't been worked out in a while, or have never been worked out at all. It's okay to work through it because the more those muscles become used, the more adjusted they will become to the workout routine. Now, if you're feeling muscular pain, as in muscle tearing or severe tissue damage [usually indicated by bruising or having sudden onset of pain to touch], then that's internal trauma. At that point is when you should rest the muscle and allow it to heal with elevation and ice.

Distinguish which kind of discomfort it you are actually feeling and act accordingly. Pain is subjective, so only you can judge what kind you are feeling.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Ok.. I don't know what bump means, and would be interested to find out.

This is done to 'bump' a post back to the top of the queue. Since posts come fast and furious, this helps to keep a post near the top so that people can reply.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    I restarted programme on monday, wednesday when i was most sore ive managed workout every day since, will tomorrow to then have rest sunday to restart monday
  • MisMolly
    MisMolly Posts: 88 Member
    My understanding is that working out will prob help with the soreness. Sore, tight muscles can be caused from a build up of lactic acid that forms when you are working them anaerobically. If that is the case, getting moving will increase blood flow and help get rid of those wastes faster, which will make you feel better sooner. That is why it is reccomended to do alternate days of strength training and cardio and work different areas of the body on different days. I suggest that you do some light cardio and not strength train the sore area. That being said, listen to your body. If exercising makes it hurt worse, stop. If the pain doesn't go away in a few days, suspect that it is more that run of the mill soreness and REST and see a doctor.
  • Nenachaos
    Nenachaos Posts: 13
    good static stretches post work out are key. Working through the soreness helps you to get stronger and to prevent future soreness
  • SHBoss1673
    My understanding is that working out will prob help with the soreness. Sore, tight muscles can be caused from a build up of lactic acid that forms when you are working them anaerobically. If that is the case, getting moving will increase blood flow and help get rid of those wastes faster, which will make you feel better sooner. That is why it is reccomended to do alternate days of strength training and cardio and work different areas of the body on different days. I suggest that you do some light cardio and not strength train the sore area. That being said, listen to your body. If exercising makes it hurt worse, stop. If the pain doesn't go away in a few days, suspect that it is more that run of the mill soreness and REST and see a doctor.

Again, lactic acid build up dissipates FAST (usually within a few minutes of ending an exercise), that is not what she is referring to, she is referring to either pain from injury or DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), neither of which are caused from lactic acid. DOMS comes from microtears in a muscle (this is common) and need a few days to repair, but increasing blood flow from light exercise can help because those tears need the nutrients and oxygen from the blood.
This discussion has been closed.