What even?!

Options
So I've lost a full 2cm off my waist, 1cm off my butt and 2cm off my boobs but my scale says I've only lost 2 to 3kgs (4-6lbs)!

Come on! What is the deal here? My clothes are definitely looser and people have started noticing my weight loss.

I know it shouldn't matter, but it's really frustrating me!

What gives? Any ideas? Even started taking water retention tablets just to try and make the scales shift!

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Chill out. And water retention is pretty meaningless as it's fat you are trying to get rid of.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I would start by tracking more consistently. There are days where you've only logged 600 or 900 calories, which leaves me wondering what you've forgotten to log.

Second, you need to adjust your expectations. This takes time. And isn't it more important that your clothes are fitting looser? The number on the scale isn't anywhere near as exciting.
  • dawnkay1
    dawnkay1 Posts: 41
    Options
    Some days I only eat 600 to 900 calories.

I just wonder how it can be physically possible to lose so many centimeters and nothing on the scale. How does that work? It seems to be a physical impossibility.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    dawnkay1 wrote: »

stop that
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I just wonder how it can be physically possible to lose so many centimeters and nothing on the scale. How does that work? It seems to be a physical impossibility.

This is not okay. You need to eat enough to meet your body's nutritional needs.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So I've lost a full 2cm off my waist, 1cm off my butt and 2cm off my boobs but my scale says I've only lost 2 to 3kgs (4-6lbs)!

Come on! What is the deal here? My clothes are definitely looser and people have started noticing my weight loss.

What gives? Any ideas? Even started taking water retention tablets just to try and make the scales shift!

frustration?

Ive lost 2 inches of fat off my legs, 1 inch off my arms, look thinner (others told me), weigh 20lbs more and my circumference of my belly increased by 6 inches but the love handles are practically gone. try to figure that one out lol

I guess you could say, dont worry about the scale and just depend on the mirror. Do you look thinner? thats all that really matters.

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Unless you're wearing your scale weight tattooed on your forehead, what people are seeing and noticing is of more value than a stupid # on the scale. Jmo
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    People who have lost scale weight, but are still busting out of their jeans would tell you to pipe down. :wink: Seriously - if you're losing cm and clothes are getting looser, who on earth cares what the scale says?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Fat really doesn't weigh much at all, as evidenced by people who have liposuction and are disappointed that they didn't lose very much weight at all.
  • gavacho661
    Options

Sometimes it's just body composition, if u are exercising and toning muscle then ur weight might not see a big change but ur body is taking noticeable change bc where ur losing fat your muscles are still becoming more dense even possibly growing a little.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well heres one for you for 3 months I did not lose anything I didn't lose any inches either but I fit into clothes I hadn't wore in years! Now I finally am losing weight but I think I rather have loose clothes than the number on the scale!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I go through periods of time where I lose weight on the scale and my clothes fit the same, but then all of a sudden I will lose a bunch of inches and have to go buy new clothes because nothing fits right anymore. I decided to quit letting the scale dictate whether I am successful or not, and have started using how many inches I have lost, the way my clothes fit, improved fitness, and body fat % as my primary indicators of my weight loss success. I have found it to be less frustrating and discouraging to rely on these indicators than the number on the scale.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Holy crap that is way too low. I eat 600-900 in a meal and still lose weight.
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

No, it is not impossible. There are times where I haven't lost any weight, but still lose inches.

Also, please eat more.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    600-900 calories is not enough to fuel your body. Stop doing that. Also stop taking the water retention pills. The best way to flush out extra water is to drink more water.

The scale will move when it's good and ready. Fat loss is not a quick process. It takes time and patience.
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hasn't anyone told you that you can and will (if you exercise regularly) gain muscle as you lose fat? Muscle is more dense than fat. Takes up more room in your clothes, etc.

It's all good. Just go back to eating at least 1000 calories/da before you make yourself sick.

And congratulations on your fat loss!!
  • tiffanyking1976
    tiffanyking1976 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Some days I only eat 600 to 900 calories

That's not healthy. You need to check your bmr and eat as close to that as you can get eating less is not the answer. MFP gave me 1200 and i went stir crazy wondering why the scale didn't move. Changed my calories to 1331 my actual bmr and the lbs address falling off. You have to eat to lose.