ending my first week and wanting to just say forget it

Options

Replies

• tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    People, even family, will try to undermine your weight loss goals. Cook healthy for everyone. Control your calorie intake by portion size. Have a free day with the fam on Sunday or whenever. You can look and feel the way you want to. Support is here. If you keep up on mfp, it will become a part of your life that you enjoy. It is a powerful feeling of being in control. You can do it!
  • Paladinpink
    Options
    what has been working for me is 6 days on 1 day off. i eat high protein low carb for six days then have one day of free eat whatever i want all day long. i have lost 4 percent body fat so far and by knowing i have my free day, and i think about it all week long, it makes it a little easier to commit. i was also told that it keeps my body from going on a platue so i continue to burn up more calories. when i get bad urges for sweets i eat carb master yogurt. i have been going for about 5 weeks now, and i get to where i kinda dread free food sunday cause i get myself so sick from cake and stuff on pervious weeks. but you have to do free food sunday ). also, i was told that carbs trigger cravings and protein helps you not feel hungry. i hope this helps, keep up the good work )
  • juhishringi
    juhishringi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Frist u hav to cokk for urself than prepare for femiley and kids ......like this u will be fill full and dont wann to take from there food ......this way is so ifectet for me I am more efectivley control on myself like this just try......
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options

We eat out about two or the times a week... This is an interesting approach. I usually feel guilty about eating the calories back that I burn through exercise but it's the only say I can get enough food to feel full some days. So your saying that's OK as long as at the end of the day your still under calories? I like that idea

This is the thing, imo, this is all about lifestyle change. Even a small deficit will result in weight loss, albeit slowly. A lot of people tend to try immediately losing 2 lbs a week no matter what their weight is, want to get it off nownownow, which ends up resulting in them feeling hungry and trying to avoid anything that isn't a "health" food. I go through weeks where I eat a lot of less nutritious foods that many people deem "junk food," but I also go through weeks where I just want to eat more simple meals and lots of fresh vegetables.

You want to lose this weight for good, right? Then have some patience. Do it in small increments. If you want to eat what the family is eating, eat it, but have a smaller portion of it, try to figure out calories for everything by weighing it with a food scale, and make a big salad or a side of vegetables to eat with it so you still feel full and satisfied.

Honestly, for the time being, if you need, don't exercise if you really don't feel like it. Exercise is for feeling GOOD and your body feeling better, and it kills the point if we see it as this horrible thing we absolutely have to do to lose weight. Moving more is always good, however, but I think so heavily associating it as this necessary evil to lose weight can make us hate it, and exercise should be fun and craved!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you can't hang for a week, the rest of your life should be quite challenging I would think...

You don't have to walk around hungry...this doesn't have to be some brutally painful thing. You should be looking to develop healthful and SUSTAINABLE habit, not crashing your diet and making yourself miserable.

In short, you're doing it wrong. When you figure out that good livin' is a lifteime endeavor and not a quick crash and dump then you will find yourself on your way to awesome things.

Ultimately this has to be about your health...not just losing weight...being a healthy weight is only one small aspect of your health. When you start focusing on health...and focusing on eating and working towards health, everything tends to fall into place.

You also have to understand that it is all a process...it isn't overnight...there's nothing that is going to be fixed that quickly. It's baby steps...it's establishing small goals here and small goals there that ultimately help you achieve your larger goals.

And ultimately, you have to understand that this is a lifetime endeavor...you are never done...just because you get to some arbitrary number on the scale does not mean you are done...getting to a healthy weight is simply the beginning...it is the starting line of the actual race...but you have to train for that race before you can run it.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion to make your regular meals to eat with your family, serve yourself a smaller portion, then make up for it with additional vegetables. What I love to do is steam my vegetables, fresh not frozen. Frozen is fine for using as an ingredient in meals, but I find that fresh lightly steamed vegetables are actually *incredibly* filling in comparison to frozen cooked or boiled vegetables.

Also, Im very fortunate to have such a sweet kid who puts up with me LOL but for the last week, I was doing a meal plan of low calorie meals. Only two meals were good, the rest were Ugghghghghhh! She still ate them, out of support, but kindly asked me if it would be okay if we didnt have that again LoL

So, in the interest of being able to eat a decent meal with my daughter, Im changing to more interesting recipeies, while still making the things I already know she loves. Im just going to mind my portions and moar veggies!!!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself yet <3 A lot of times I'll plug in dinner first since that's the main family meal and then plan the rest of my day around that.... Or I'll make something like chili without the beans in my crockpot, then pull out my serving and finish it off with beans for the family and skip the cornbread .... Or if I make a soup I'll cook the noodles separate and put the noodles in everyone's bowl then fill with the soup so I can monitor what goes in mine. What I really try NOT to do is make separate meals. Maybe our protein is the same, and I have extra veggies with only a half cup of mashed potatoes or rice.

I find for myself to be successful, it has to fit my lifestyle, and even small changes add up over time :D You'll soon have a bank of recipes and breakfasts or lunches and snacks you enjoyed that you can just copy forward. And if you eat back exercise calories remember MFP and machines overestimate the calorie burn so start with only eating back half and see how that goes. I also focus more on having my calories and macros close to spot on by the end of the week and not necessarily daily to take some of the pressure off. Best wishes! You can do this!!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont have time, money or patience to cook something different for myself than what the rest of my family eats? are you nuts? use the recipe builder and set aside your portion. boom. now you know how many calories dinner is.

without double the pans to wash.

i eat exactly what i want, and eat out all the time. meals out usually last me 2 meals, because of the calorie count.

• kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It's hard to be overweight and miserable. It's hard to lose weight and be fit. Choose your hard. (you CAN do this.)
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What I did probably wouldn't work for you. I told hubs he could either eat what I cooked or cook himself. Actually was a win-win. He cooks more, and is eating somewhat healthier.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    So take the easy way out and quit.

Funny you say that, lol , first I was like that's rude but really that's what I'm saying. Someone tell me it's OK to quit. Because that will make it all better .... Thanks for the reality check

It's ok to quit its your life, but that just means the benefits of being a healthy weight are not as great as having to put the effort in to get there.

You can make it easier though
    Good plan
    Knowledge
    Good mindset
    Support group if thats your thing
    Simple easy to follow.
    babysteps and just focusing on one day at a time.

Preplan so you dont have to think.
    Adjust your diet so you eat foods that fill you up and avoid hunger.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Don't make it complicated in your head and get overwhelmed. Take each day at a time. Its just a numbers game to a certain extent. I had a 275g chicken breast today with a sweet potato and steamed mix veg. Really filling, huge amount of protein and not excessive calories. Eat food that is filling but puts you in a calorie deficit at the end of each day.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Keliandra wrote: »
    What I did probably wouldn't work for you. I told hubs he could either eat what I cooked or cook himself. Actually was a win-win. He cooks more, and is eating somewhat healthier.

This^^

I am lucky to have a husband that will literally eat almost anything I prepare and serve him (except cooked carrots!) I also have a teenager who eats what I prepare about 65% of the time. So she knows that if she doesn't like what is on the menu, it is on her to make herself something else.

I love cooking healthfully. I have become a pretty darn good cook over the last 20 years and we rarely eat out now. I menu plan and grocery shop once a week so I have everything I need ready to go. I keep a list of 'quick and easy' favorites for weeknights and often use my slow cooker on the weekend to make a large meal that we can then eat off of later in the week or take for lunches.

Try new things - make it interesting! Get inspired by looking at some cookbooks or magazines. www.myrecipes.com is a good place to start.

• jenniferann320
    jenniferann320 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

This^^

I am lucky to have a husband that will literally eat almost anything I prepare and serve him (except cooked carrots!) I also have a teenager who eats what I prepare about 65% of the time. So she knows that if she doesn't like what is on the menu, it is on her to make herself something else.

I love cooking healthfully. I have become a pretty darn good cook over the last 20 years and we rarely eat out now. I menu plan and grocery shop once a week so I have everything I need ready to go. I keep a list of 'quick and easy' favorites for weeknights and often use my slow cooker on the weekend to make a large meal that we can then eat off of later in the week or take for lunches.

Try new things - make it interesting! Get inspired by looking at some cookbooks or magazines. www.myrecipes.com is a good place to start.

My kids are ages 3,5,10,12 :) I think part of my issue is that I don't plan meals. So I get ready to make dinner and I'm scavenging cabinets reading labels and thinking this just won't work. So I guess I need a balance between being prepared and portion control for the not so healthy nights. Thanks for the advice
  • jenniferann320
    Options
    Been there, my husband was not willing to eat certain things so I just started making what everyone likes and have much smaller portions than before. It works for me and the family is happy.
    I did this last night, it made sense and removed the stress. Just ate less and made up for quantity with some veggies. Thanks!
  • jenniferann320
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    It's hard to be overweight and miserable. It's hard to lose weight and be fit. Choose your hard. (you CAN do this.)

It is hard, until it becomes my norm. Not giving up yet. Thank you!
  • jenniferann320
    Options

That's awesome, might just be with a try. I doubt I'd get the same result lol but who knows. Thanks for the idea
  • jenniferann320
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself yet <3 A lot of times I'll plug in dinner first since that's the main family meal and then plan the rest of my day around that.... Or I'll make something like chili without the beans in my crockpot, then pull out my serving and finish it off with beans for the family and skip the cornbread .... Or if I make a soup I'll cook the noodles separate and put the noodles in everyone's bowl then fill with the soup so I can monitor what goes in mine. What I really try NOT to do is make separate meals. Maybe our protein is the same, and I have extra veggies with only a half cup of mashed potatoes or rice.

I find for myself to be successful, it has to fit my lifestyle, and even small changes add up over time :D You'll soon have a bank of recipes and breakfasts or lunches and snacks you enjoyed that you can just copy forward. And if you eat back exercise calories remember MFP and machines overestimate the calorie burn so start with only eating back half and see how that goes. I also focus more on having my calories and macros close to spot on by the end of the week and not necessarily daily to take some of the pressure off. Best wishes! You can do this!!!

This is another great idea, dinner tends to be my least "healthy" meal so yes planning this calories and adjusting the rest of the day may work for me since breakfast kid eat cereal or oatmeal usually and lunch hubby is at work, kids at school, and the kids at home I could easily make something different. Thanks for this idea too!
  • jenniferann320
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    I agree with the suggestion to make your regular meals to eat with your family, serve yourself a smaller portion, then make up for it with additional vegetables. What I love to do is steam my vegetables, fresh not frozen. Frozen is fine for using as an ingredient in meals, but I find that fresh lightly steamed vegetables are actually *incredibly* filling in comparison to frozen cooked or boiled vegetables.

Also, Im very fortunate to have such a sweet kid who puts up with me LOL but for the last week, I was doing a meal plan of low calorie meals. Only two meals were good, the rest were Ugghghghghhh! She still ate them, out of support, but kindly asked me if it would be okay if we didnt have that again LoL

So, in the interest of being able to eat a decent meal with my daughter, Im changing to more interesting recipeies, while still making the things I already know she loves. Im just going to mind my portions and moar veggies!!!

This seems to be an idea that works, thanks for suggesting it. It takes the stress out of it. Less cooking, less mess, more eating. Thank you for the idea!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I've done this several times before. I manage to lose 10-15 pounds and then lose all my momentum. why? Why? Why? Some say it means I'm not ready, some say I'm not doing it for the right reasons... But I say I just need to figure it out. Half way through day six and to be honest I'm tired of feeling hungry and tired of having to think through every meal I'm about to eat to make sure I have enough calories. I am in that boat of making one meal for my family and then something different for me. I know that part just won't work. I love to cook and I love to eat more :) my kids I can convince to eat some new healthier things but my hubby would rather starve then eat what I do. So all this complaining because I'm not able to commit. I know lots of options for cutting calories and fat. I know how to add protein into my diet. I know the importance of water and exercise but I just don't follow through. Someone please tell me what I'm missing lol I need to get healthy!

First off, just make one evening meal, use portion control for yourself. Husband doesn't like it, leave him to make his own or starve.

Only you know why you don't follow through? What are you scared of? Thinking you don't deserve it? Don't your kids deserve a healthy mother?

You do need to figure it out, no one here can do it for you.