How to tone up without bulking up???

Options

Replies

• angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    juliepunchak Posts: 24 Thank you... I have always built muscle pretty easily also.

I’m almost tempted to place a monetary bet you couldn’t put on any significant muscle in six months. Its quite insulting to those who do lift for mass when someone claims they have superior ability to get swole. Hippy lifting it is.

my apologies I didn't intend on offending anyone, I asked a question and got some helpful advice yours being the most helpful, thank you. I won't be taking that bet as I don't want to attempt to win it...lol... thank you so much for your input, maybe "bulk" wasn't the right term to use...
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did some heavy lifting for a few months last year. I had to stop due to an injury (not caused by the lifting) - and have just got going again.

The little I managed to do before transformed my body more effectively than anything I had ever tried before! I had to stop - but I'm still seeing the benefits of the changes it made to my shape. I'm thrilled to have started again so I can finish what I started!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I know where you're coming from. People have always told me women don't bulk but I guess I am one of the exceptions that can. I'm not saying I can look like Atlas, but I used to bike up and down hills when I was young and built up some serious thigh muscles. As a result, it is very easy for a little exercise to build up my thighs now, something I do NOT want to do! The rule of thumb is to use light weights with lots of reps. Also, stretching at the end is supposed to elongate the muscles and keep them from getting bulky. I do this and so far it has worked. I am not a professional trainer or anything so this is just my experienced opinion that I am offering. Hope it helps! :)

No. All of this. NO.

I have been lifting heavy for 2 years, lifting total for 6 years. I'm so far from bulky, that I gained 10 pounds, and I'm still the same size and dimensions as I was 15 pounds lighter.

Lift progressively heavy for you. Balance it with cardio for your heart if you like. But light weights, high reps is merely a waste of your time in the gym.

But stretching, stretching is good to help prevent injury and promote recovery. It won't elongate anything or change your genetics.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

my apologies I didn't intend on offending anyone, I asked a question and got some helpful advice yours being the most helpful, thank you. I won't be taking that bet as I don't want to attempt to win it...lol... thank you so much for your input, maybe "bulk" wasn't the right term to use...

I wasn’t offended so much as many women I’ve known over the years who would be. To build a muscular physique (body building), an athlete has to show a tremendous dedication to diet, lifting, rest, etc. And it takes years, even for the most genetically gifted.

My advice was primarily focused on helping you build a foundation of strength. Lower reps (3 - 6) tend to do this and only moderately affect muscle mass. Rep ranges of 7 - 10 are more conducive to muscle mass (hypertrophy) and Rep ranges of 11 - 25 address muscle endurance. With all of these ranges, there are improvements across the spectrum, but this focus is appropriate for 95% of trainees, especially those who are relatively new to lifting. With lower rep, heavy lifting, you’ll see good increases in strength and moderate increases in mass. And a pound of muscle takes up such a small area, it is like laying a piece of paper on your body, hardly noticeable.

For those training for mass, it takes months and years (of laying those pieces of paper) to show the musculature that you’re trying to avoid. You’ll likely never apply that intensity, volume or persistence to get to that point. Some of your body parts might react more positively to training, then you can adapt your protocol to address your specific needs. Initially, a generalized program like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Lifts will give you a good strength base to start from.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    OP, is that you in your profile pic?
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    Lift heavy things, compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups, and overhead press). Unless you’re taking steroids, you won’t bulk up.

This...idk why women still think this. At the gym I go to, I always see a bunch of hippie women constantly doing cardio and no strength training. I guess they're scared? The ones I do see in the free weight room are not bulky and some are actually fairly attractive.

Hippie women?

I mean hippie as in weak, unassertive and non aggressive...both mentally and physically. I know the term is from the 60s but a guy named PhysiquesofGreatness on Youtube uses it to describe people like that...it's funny as *kitten*. If you're not this...you shouldn't be offended right?

I'm not offended. I just wondered what being a "hippie" had to do with cardio. Apparently nothing. Apparently some guy on youtube has changed (in his mind and yours) what "hippie" means. What an unpleasant choice by Mr. PhysiqueofGreatness". He sounds rather unpleasant based on your description of him.

Thanks for explaining what you think that word means.
    cheers

Well you're clearly not from my generation soo....you wouldn't know any of our slang and all of that. It's just a term used in a different, funny way...anyway who cares. Good job on the lifting since 1995 :)

But... words mean things. I can't just refer to apples as "potatoes", because "LOL it's just a term used in a different way!" That would be stupid.

Kind of re-defining "hippie", I guess.

Who cares lol. I'm still gonna use the term if I want and other people have no problem with me using the term. You people seem older than me as someone in their 20s or even 30s and with a sense of humor wouldn't be acting like this
    You don't use the term because it's common in your age group, you use it because of one guy on YouTube. It's not generational but situational. But hey, keep using 'hippie' that way and maybe it will eventually catch on. In the meantime don't be surprised if people of any age have no idea what you're referring to.

Already has...alot of people use hippie online...in different other forums and Youtube, you just happen to live in a cave sooo.....yeah and I'm pretty sure they will and not only that but laugh.

Nice try though.
    It might surprise you how small your circle actually is.

....anyway...why are we getting off topic? Did you all get that mindfucked by my funny use of the word "hippie". It's your problem if you don't have a sense of humor and can't see things from other people's point of view. Who cares..move on with your lives and learn a little. It's funny how all women have commented on my use of the word and no men so far.....

Moving on....no women can't get bulky from lifting weights...just a stupid misconception.

maybe possibly bulking up was the wrong term... my arms and legs have plenty enough muscle already for my liking I just wanted advice on toning without building larger muscles... next time i'll choose my words better... and hey i'm a female and your "hippie" term didn't offend me...

That's good...it's just people started to get off topic over a trivial thing. Who cares how I use it eh? The only way I can think of you possibly getting bigger is taking steroids and heavy strength training...srsly. Do you really wanna look like a man?

definitely not...lol... and no I don't take anything except for B12, and a hair/skin &nail vitamin ... and i'm sure neither of those effect muscle... people REALLY got off topic, but it's cool, I got the advice I needed.

Just keep on focusing on building strength and endurance....who cares about being bulky. I see it this way....I rather be a black leopard (lean but strong) than a grizzly bear. Ehh...I tried with that analogy lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    maybe possibly bulking up was the wrong term... my arms and legs have plenty enough muscle already for my liking I just wanted advice on toning without building larger muscles... next time i'll choose my words better... and hey i'm a female and your "hippie" term didn't offend me... [/quote]
    since you are eating in a deficit you wont gain any more muscle mass aside from what you already have. you have to eat in a surplus. women also gain muscle slower then men so.when lifting in a deficit you can burn fat,change how your body looks and get stronger,so you have nothing to worry about. your body will look differently though,which in my opinion(for me) is a good thing.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP: work as hard as you want. You won't bulk unless you're eating at a surplus.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    juliepunchak Posts: 24 Thank you... I have always built muscle pretty easily also.

:indifferent:

So after quite a few people tell you it's not that easy, you'd have to be at a calorie surplus at this point, etc, you still say that? Well, then...I got nothing because the suggestions would only lead you to supposedly bulk up.

If you truly believe you build muscle that easily, then maybe look into a career in bodybuilding or volunteering for medical studies. You'd make a killing.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    Lift heavy things, compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, pull ups, and overhead press). Unless you’re taking steroids, you won’t bulk up.

This...idk why women still think this. At the gym I go to, I always see a bunch of hippie women constantly doing cardio and no strength training. I guess they're scared? The ones I do see in the free weight room are not bulky and some are actually fairly attractive.

Hippie women?

I mean hippie as in weak, unassertive and non aggressive...both mentally and physically. I know the term is from the 60s but a guy named PhysiquesofGreatness on Youtube uses it to describe people like that...it's funny as *kitten*. If you're not this...you shouldn't be offended right?

I'm not offended. I just wondered what being a "hippie" had to do with cardio. Apparently nothing. Apparently some guy on youtube has changed (in his mind and yours) what "hippie" means. What an unpleasant choice by Mr. PhysiqueofGreatness". He sounds rather unpleasant based on your description of him.

Thanks for explaining what you think that word means.
    cheers

Well you're clearly not from my generation soo....you wouldn't know any of our slang and all of that. It's just a term used in a different, funny way...anyway who cares. Good job on the lifting since 1995 :)

But... words mean things. I can't just refer to apples as "potatoes", because "LOL it's just a term used in a different way!" That would be stupid.

Kind of re-defining "hippie", I guess.

Who cares lol. I'm still gonna use the term if I want and other people have no problem with me using the term. You people seem older than me as someone in their 20s or even 30s and with a sense of humor wouldn't be acting like this
    You don't use the term because it's common in your age group, you use it because of one guy on YouTube. It's not generational but situational. But hey, keep using 'hippie' that way and maybe it will eventually catch on. In the meantime don't be surprised if people of any age have no idea what you're referring to.

giphy.gif
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    12by311 wrote: »
    OP, is that you in your profile pic?

Yeah. Your profile pic shows you're doing something right! Nice arms!
  • IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Couldn't have said it better myself Right On
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I wasn’t offended so much as many women I’ve known over the years who would be. To build a muscular physique (body building), an athlete has to show a tremendous dedication to diet, lifting, rest, etc. And it takes years, even for the most genetically gifted.

My advice was primarily focused on helping you build a foundation of strength. Lower reps (3 - 6) tend to do this and only moderately affect muscle mass. Rep ranges of 7 - 10 are more conducive to muscle mass (hypertrophy) and Rep ranges of 11 - 25 address muscle endurance. With all of these ranges, there are improvements across the spectrum, but this focus is appropriate for 95% of trainees, especially those who are relatively new to lifting. With lower rep, heavy lifting, you’ll see good increases in strength and moderate increases in mass. And a pound of muscle takes up such a small area, it is like laying a piece of paper on your body, hardly noticeable.

For those training for mass, it takes months and years (of laying those pieces of paper) to show the musculature that you’re trying to avoid. You’ll likely never apply that intensity, volume or persistence to get to that point. Some of your body parts might react more positively to training, then you can adapt your protocol to address your specific needs. Initially, a generalized program like New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Lifts will give you a good strength base to start from.

^^very much this.
  • yogilifter
    yogilifter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    agreed with posters. I stopped cardio and only lift heavy (for me anyway), maybe a few HIIT sessions a month. What you want to do is change your body composition..losing fat and building muscle... not really "tone". Don't worry, unless you are fastidious about diet and hitting macros, you won't bulk. good luck girl!
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    yogilifter wrote: »
    agreed with posters. I stopped cardio and only lift heavy (for me anyway), maybe a few HIIT sessions a month. What you want to do is change your body composition..losing fat and building muscle... not really "tone". Don't worry, unless you are fastidious about diet and hitting macros, you won't bulk. good luck girl!

This...good info

AND...I got something that will end this once and for all. Watch this vid from one of my favorite Youtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaqmmdS6hPE
  • Jerisinicrope
    Jerisinicrope Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only have 2lbs left to hit my goal of 135lbs, 62.6lbs down so far, I started going to the gym 3 weeks ago for some variety in my work out, I want to tone up without bulking up... any suggestions would be great thank you o:)

• Jerisinicrope
    Jerisinicrope Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only have 2lbs left to hit my goal of 135lbs, 62.6lbs down so far, I started going to the gym 3 weeks ago for some variety in my work out, I want to tone up without bulking up... any suggestions would be great thank you o:)
    Bikini and figure competitors work all our lives to "bulk" up. As u continue to regulate UR macro nutrients and adjust your proteins and carbohydrates to equal amounts (ie 40/40/20) ur body fat will continue to decrease. U will not "
    Bulk" regardless of the weight training u r doing. The female body is not programmed to go like this. Women appear "bulky" when they have a little muscle that is still "well insulated with energy sources". (Surrounded with excess fat :)
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I cheer and treat myself when my muscles get bigger. A. They've either grown due to my work or B. They appear bigger because I've lost body fat around them.

Could care less which one it is really. I just look in the mirror and thank "damn, good job woman!" I love my legs and butt. Nothing better than when you've gotten to a point when stuff doesn't jiggle anymore.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from. People have always told me women don't bulk but I guess I am one of the exceptions that can. I'm not saying I can look like Atlas, but I used to bike up and down hills when I was young and built up some serious thigh muscles. As a result, it is very easy for a little exercise to build up my thighs now, something I do NOT want to do! The rule of thumb is to use light weights with lots of reps. Also, stretching at the end is supposed to elongate the muscles and keep them from getting bulky. I do this and so far it has worked. I am not a professional trainer or anything so this is just my experienced opinion that I am offering. Hope it helps! :)
    Misconception. While muscle can increase in size slightly while in deficit, it's usually due to the fact that they atrophied and exercise now is filling them up with glycogen and water.
    Stretching does NOTHING to elongate muscle physically. Muscles are attached at joints and unless your bones are getting longer, the muscle length stays the same. You can increase a muscle "stretch" point by making it more flexible by stretching though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Truth^
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    keep lifting- don't take steroids.

easy peasy lemon squeezy.