Carb cycling for vegetarians

Options
Ive been doing some research into carb cycling but as a vegetarian I'm finding it quiet hard. I don't eat meat, fish or eggs.

Anyone any ideas?

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well heres something to consider. I carb cycle and he says that tofu, and tvp are ok. Quinoa is a complete protein and beans can be used in place of a protein. However you cannot buy the prmade veg foods and will have to make your own stuff bc those are too high in carbs. Also I don't know if you do dairy. Soy yogurt or tofutti stuff may be a option? Tempeh or seitan as well on hi days. Miso. Nutritional yeast. Nuts.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Oh plus I am not a vegetarian but my husband is. Oh lentils too. Nut butters too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is hard to do very low carb on a vegetarian plan. Basically on low carb days, one suggestion is to skip rice, fruit, bread, and only eat things like beans, lentils, hemp seeds, almonds (low-ish carbs nuts) dairy, and lots of leafy greens.
  • ashokrajan
    ashokrajan Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use Whey Protein supplement. Chick peas, black eyed peas or lentils are high in carbs and sodium (good but cannot have large quantities). I try to take at least 150 g of protein (in the form of Whey with Almond milk which is low carbs) and this has worked well for me. One thing to note is that i took several months to increase my intake of protein. i.e. i do this as a lifestyle change and not a flash diet that i cannot maintain.
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You will end up getting a LOT of protein from powder if you don't like tofu or tvp. You could get the vegan proteins such as seitan; however, the prepackaged foods are high in sodium, so you may want to get unflavored seitan and prepare it yourself.
  • SalsaDiva123
    SalsaDiva123 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can find low carb vegetarian and vegan meal plans and recipes at Atkins.com. Maybe they will help with your low carb days. I think you might have to login to their community to access them.
  • lexipsp
    lexipsp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and carb cycling. I find it really hard too, but some products like qourn chicken pieces, fillets or the mince are extremely low in carbs, and still high protein so I try and eat those instead of tofu which I hate! I also have 2 protein shakes a day. Hope that helps!