Recommended Daily Amounts

Options
My Fitness Pal thinks that I should have 196g Carbs a day, 52g Fat and 79g Protein a day, whereas national guidelines are 300g Carbs, 70g Fat and 45g of protein.

Where does MyFitnessPal get this data from? Is this more accurate than national guidelines?

Getting 79g of Protein is proving quite a challenge for me!

Replies

• Jbrad89
    Jbrad89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Today i consumed 240g of protein. The trick is to identify the high protein sources and try to work them into your diet. For example boiled eggs, grilled chicken, cottage cheese, quinoa.. Even a simple protein shake can give you 40g of protein.
  • KazB5
    KazB5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thats amazing! I struggle to get anywhere near 40g a day! I try to snack on nuts and seeds and always have some protein at lunch and dinner (I tend to have muesli or porridge at breakfast). Maybe a protein shake during the day would help?
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The numbers you provided don't add up. The numbers you provide for MFP =1568 calories and the numbers for "national guidelines" = 2010 calories. Using your numbers the % of total calories for MFP = 50% Carb / 30% Fat / 20 Protein, and for "national guidelines" = 60% Carb / 31% fat / 9% Protein. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans list the following % of total calories: Carb; 45%-65% / Fat; 20%-35% / Protein 10% - 35%.
  • KazB5
    Options
    Interesting. Thank you. So should it always be a 50:30:20 ratio?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    KazB5 wrote: »

Not necessarily. Find macros that suit how you eat and fuel you based on your exercise routine.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about the macros really you can adjust them to what works for you. You should try and eat a min of 45g protein and 18/20g fibre, but more is fine.

If you deal with the calorie deficit then the rest takes care of itself.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

There's many different ways to look at it - I prefer to regard protein and fat as minimum goals and carbs fall wherever they fall.
    Unless I'm cycling a long distance then I become a carb monster!

This is a very good read, how particular you are with macros really depends on your lifestyle and goals.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • KazB5
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice. I am training for a 10K so it would be wise to find out what my 'macros' should be. I can't afford to loose any weight as I am at the lower end of my BMI already. Thanks again guys!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice. I am training for a 10K so it would be wise to find out what my 'macros' should be. I can't afford to loose any weight as I am at the lower end of my BMI already. Thanks again guys!

Just make sure you're not eating in a deficit
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thats amazing! I struggle to get anywhere near 40g a day! I try to snack on nuts and seeds and always have some protein at lunch and dinner (I tend to have muesli or porridge at breakfast). Maybe a protein shake during the day would help?

Nuts and seeds are a good source of fat, not protein. The point of having higher protein while losing weight is to help maintain muscle mass, and because it's typically more satiating than carbs.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I'd say 100g plus protein to fix the wear and tear of running.

Eggs, greek yoghurt, bagels, tins of fish, shakes, bars, meat and fish centred meals, black beans, dhal, pulses. It's hard work but boy it will make you strong and recover fast. Don't forget plenty of carbs and adequate fat.