suffering from anxiety due to my weight

Options
Hi im lizzette and I'm 22 years old I have no social life because I'm beyond insecure with my self. I'm trying to change this but I have no support what so ever and i hope this can help me get to my goal weight does anyone have any tips thank you and good luck everyone on reaching your goals

Replies

• wants_to_lose78
    Options
    I too suffer from anxiety about the way I look! I rarely leave my house. My goal is to lose 50-60lbs. I am 36 years old, and my name is Lacey. I just started using this site last week, and its a great visual aide. Welcome to MyFitnessPal!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Doing it for you, losing I mean, is the very best reason IMO. Don't wait until you're my age! Do it now. One day at a time, do the best you can. If you mess up a bit, DON'T QUIT, just accept that there will be times when you just aren't as strong, but if the times you are able to control your food choices outweigh the times you don't, you will lose weight.

My specific advice is to buy a food scale and begin weighing your food. This is so important. Guessing at portions just doesn't work very well. Then log everything you eat and learn how to select the correct entry in the database -- not the one you hope is right because the calories are lower than some of the others! If there is NOT an asterisk in front of the database entry, that is the one you want. Asterisked entries were added by members and do not always contain accurate or complete information.

If you are unsure where to start, as far as what to eat, begin by just logging everything you already eat now, so you can get an idea of calorie counts and where you might cut back.

Good luck ladies!! You can do this. And you will be so proud of yourself as you begin to lose. It will help with your anxiety.

55835802.png
  • lizzette1115
    Options

Thanks lacey and I'm also new to this I really hope it works I need all the help I can get. And I will definitely buy a food scale if it can help I'm desperate and tiered of just staying in the house 24/7 thank you both and good luck on reaching your goals ☺
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    What's to be insecure about? People come in all shapes and sizes. When I go to the park to walk on the trail, I see to a of overweight people working out, and then a few fit people. Gyms can be kind of intimidating, so maybe get a workout program for at home. I'm doing Insanity and its my favorite workout set. It is rather expensive at $144 for the entire package, but you can also lookup regular people filming themselves doing the DVDs if you don't want to drop the cash.
  • lizzette1115
    Options
    I've been thinking of buying that package but didn't know if it really works but I'm willing to try what ever thank you
  • LiamProctor
    LiamProctor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Food scales have helped me tremendously, I'm focusing on my diet before moving onto an exercise routine because i want the foundations to be right before i enter the next step. Good luck in your journey :)
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Korghul wrote: »
    Food scales have helped me tremendously, I'm focusing on my diet before moving onto an exercise routine because i want the foundations to be right before i enter the next step. Good luck in your journey :)

It is good to make one adjustment at a time. I actually found exercising forced me to eat better since I would feel sick if I ate junk and then tried to workout.
  • natalie741s
    natalie741s Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit alone will make you lose weight, guaranteed. I lost 70lbs before I started exercising, and now I'm where I want to be, weight wise, exercise has helped improve the way my body looks and keep my weight down. BUT and it's a big but, I noticed that you said you hope MFP works. It does, without doubt, as long as you stick to it! Good luck
  • Shellee38
    Shellee38 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way I have reached an all time higher I'm my weight. I'm making the change. I need too. I eat between 1200-1400 cals a day. High protein breakfast/smoothie as much natural foods not processed, cut out all sugar/caffeine drinks and junk snacks and drink 2-3 litres of water...I'm down 7lbs this week. I excised at a low level too
  • lholmes1985
    lholmes1985 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I hear Ya! I avoid going out as much as I can! Friends are extremely few!
    But you've already done the hardest step- being mentally and emotionally ready to lose weight! That's great! You can do this! One small step at a time. Day by day! You'll get there. I promise!
  • ayelizzie
    ayelizzie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good advice above. Log everything then look to see what you can cut out/down on. Exercise to get you started put on some music and dance, shut the curtains if you have to but just let go and have some fun with the music. Stay with it even if you slip up or don't reach a goal just keep on going, you can do this.
  • lizzette1115
    Options
    Thank you all so much this is already helping me stay focused so much support I think it's just what I needed good luck to you all on reaching your goal I've lost 4 lbs already I know it's not much but for me it's awesome thank you all again ☺☺☺☺☺☺
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    One thing I have definitely learned... it is not JUST your weight holding you back. Losing weight will not make you a different person or happier. You may gain some self-confidence, but I promise you are always going to find faults with yourself - even thin/fit people still find things they dont like.

My advice? Address that issue now, along with your weight. Maybe get counseling, maybe just read some self-help books. Losing weight alone is not going to change your feelings or make you magically able to go out and be social. Chances are you have some type of social anxiety regardless of your weight. Start figuring that out now and stop tying your happiness to your weight.

GOod luck - you have taken an important first step...