This is my 361st time starting MyFitnessPal...

Options
...so what's gonna make this time different?

I'm at a loss. I need to lose about 40lbs, and 100 times every day I go between: "I really need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight," to: "I need to be happy in my own skin and not stress so much about being skinnier."

The latter obviously wins every single day, even though it's not true in the least.

I need to lose weight to be healthier, and a bi-product of that will be fitting into smaller clothes and not having so many wiggles and jiggles.

So how did you guys finally get to the point where you actually did it? Actually stuck with it? Actually lost the weight you need to? Came on MyFitnessPal for the 361st time and actually DID IT?

Replies

• Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am in the process now again! I had lost 50# on WW 3 years ago and did good keeping it off until the past 6 months or more. Gained back 20 pounds so want to get it off again. I figure at least I got control before gaining it all back! Not doing WW though. Just doesn't seem to be working for me now. I picked up Dr Phil's new book The 20/20 Diet. I started on Monday and lost 6 pounds as of this morning! Not hungry is the best! Plus foods I like so haven't felt like I am suffering either! Just thought I would give you an idea if you want to ck it out! Good luck!
  • mermaidrhirhi
    mermaidrhirhi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think this is my third or fourth attempt, and I have been at the weight loss game (actually losing weight - 50lbs so far!) for about a year now. In the year, I've come and gone from MFP, at times not deeming it necessary, but now that I am at the last 15 or so lbs, I really need to stick with it in order to keep sight of my goals. It is so close, yet so far it seems!

Honestly, what kept me here a year ago was a special circumstance of avoiding certain inflammatory foods (dairy, red meat, white sugar, and gluten) and MFP helped me keep on track. Maybe pick a specific thing you want to combat, (maybe a macro? Carbs, fat, protein) and use MFP as your way to keep track of it. That is a small, doable goal and will lead to bigger things down the road :)
  • happymom24
    happymom24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am only 1 week in to my latest attempt, but I've already stuck with it longer this time than any other! For me... I just turned 40. I am at my heaviest weight (excluding pregnancies), and am too cheap to buy new pants, so I keep wearing the same 2 pair to work. (luckily, I only work 2 days per week!) I watched my husband lose over 100 lbs using MFP 2 years ago, so I know it works.

I think this time, I am sticking with it because I am finally ready. I've talked with my husband about it before on the other attempts, but I think previously my heart wasn't in it. I didn't feel like turning 40 was traumatic, or anything, but more like, I'm getting older and it's time to get my *kitten* together.

Also, I've been trying to find "me time" away from the kids, and the exercise does that and energizes me to then focus on them again. In the past, I was trying to exercise before they woke up, but I was still tired, or my bed was so warm, or a million other excuses. But, this week, I have been exercising mostly during the day while the kids have their screen time. That works for me big time. And so using MFP naturally extends as part of that.

Good luck! I hope you find your reason to stick with it!

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    this is not my first MFP dance either. For me it's a matter of wanting to be healthy - I am not healthy being 90 lbs overweight. I don't want to be comfortable in "this skin" because it is not "my own." My own skin has been stretched beyond recognition thanks to all this fat.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I made lots of very good friends on here which helped me. After a while I stopped logging my food though as I was losing weight for the first time in years and wanted to stop obsessing over food (my adult life had been ruined and consumed by food issues)- interestingly now that I just eat what I want when I am hungry my weight has just dropped and dropped... effortlessly for the first time in my life. You can do it!!!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am back again after the upteenth time myself here... 5 weeks in (probably my longest streak ever) and 9 lbs down (definitely the most weight Ive lost)

What is different for me this time is..I am being *meticulous* about tracking and logging. Not just on here, but I also have these obnoxious spreadsheets I fill out with my weight, cal intake, measurements, all that. Its in my face every morning when I wake up.

I weigh myself every day now, and track my weight *trend*. So instead of letting the scale scare me or depress me, Im looking at a bigger picture..the trend of my weight, not the fluctuations.

I bought a food scale...weighing everything I eat and being able to log what Im actually consuming has completely flipped my world upside down.

So far so good..Im looking forward to another 5 weeks (and beyond of course) and actually making progress this time.

ETA - Oh, had to add this...and being ready. I don't think I was really ready, or really had my heart in it the last times I tried. This time, I'm balls to the wall ready, for lack of a better term LoL
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I realized that I could lose weight by eating ALL THE FOODS I love as long as I stick to the calorie count. It was completely eye opening for me. After all, all diets restrict so many foods, and once you begin to eat like you normally do, WHOOP! there goes the weight back up again. But with MFP, it's not a diet, and what I have lost, it's gone for good!! It doesn't come back because I'm eating like I'll be eating forever, with ALL THE FOODS I love!! :smiley: Of course I'm not done, but I see it's working. :flowerforyou: To realize it's not a race like with diets: "Lose 15lbs in 7 days"... it'll be slow to lose the weight (I have my goal at 0.5 lb/wk), but then again I didn't gain the weight that fast either.
  • sueallenwilson2015
    Options
    I look at it this way if you lose just one pound from now until xmas that is 40 pounds gone!! EVERYONE can lose one pound per week....plus you wont feel like you are on a diet, simples!!!
  • KCJinMd
    KCJinMd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been at MFP for 3 days - I LOVE IT. With this site I discovered how much sugar I am taking in - which was a huge shock for me. I actually look forward to logging in my food and discovering the hidden sugar I have been eating.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way if you lose just one pound from now until xmas that is 40 pounds gone!! EVERYONE can lose one pound per week....plus you wont feel like you are on a diet, simples!!!
    That's how I like to think of it too! If I say 5-7 lbs per month I sometimes roll my eyes at myself because I haven't lost that much in a month yet, what makes me think i can do it now? But if I put it in smaller terms, like a lb a week -- that's the same thing, yet my mind is willing to "accept" that I can do that. Mind tricks. Crazy, but you have to find the ones that work for your.

• bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It is a struggle every day. I just recommitted today.
    In order to change your weight you have to change your mind.
    I did that back in august when I restarted MFP and I did it again today when I recommitted.

I can do this. You can do this.

Even when I fell off the wagon I was tracking but I started telling myself go ahead and eat the ice cream or whatever and start tomorrow. Just for today I am not eating the ice cream or whatever.

Good luck
  • PacificLotus
    PacificLotus Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Don't mean to be contrary, but for many of us, there is absolutely nothing simple about this, and even 1/2 pound a week can be a major struggle. I did well here a couple of years ago, but struggled with maintaining, then slowly gained more and more, despite many attempts to get back to it. My final motivation was a picture in which I looked waaaay too round. I started back here the next day and haven't looked back. Something just clicked, an ah-ha moment, if you will. 3 1/2 pounds from goal now. Yay! Best to you, OP, and everyone!
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    BTW i am down 25 lbs in 7 months slow but progress is progress
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maybe this time do it properly and sort out all the places that made you come unstuck before. With any task its easy to think about it , analyse it , look at your objectives and draw up the requirements to get you from A to B. If you do not prepare properly, then you cna lose your way or come unstuck more easily.

Besides learning how weight loss works and making sure your plan has the common traits of a successful diet you should also be making sure your mindset/attitude is the one that will work. You need to chill out have realistic expectations in how long, as well as taking responsibility for whats happening and commit to putting the effort in and sticking with it.

Consistent deficits will result in weight loss.

My first time on MFP and first time on a diet.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    welcome back?
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not on my nth time, I'm still here from the start. That doesn't mean I am logging perfectly, or keeping streaks or keeping to my calorie goals (far from it) but I see this as a continuous journey that I've been on rather than a yes or no situation. If you see it as keeping your streaks or if you go over your goals on day and therefore you failed then you'll probably have a 'this is my 515th time starting myfitnesspal' thread in a year's time. I am not trying to be harsh, I don't think I am in a situation nor is anyone to judge, just pointing out that in my opinion that it isn't an all or nothing situation.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Think in terms of what you want to be (or become) rather than what you want to do. For example: "I want to be the kind of woman who looks good and healthy!" Not "I want to lose x pounds." I found this very helpful.
    Also, I kept repeating to myself: "if you don't want to start all over again, stop quitting!"
    Good luck!
  • AlexisMichele93
    AlexisMichele93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey welcome at back! I am also in this process. This is my second account actually. My first I used sporadically last year. I lost 8 pounds and then quit. Gained it all pack plus a little more. I made this account late January but never used it. This has been my first week of sticking with it. The reasons why?
    First, my roommates are doing it with me and that support really helps. They give me the push to go to the gym together and now we're all counting calories which helps because we eat together. I tried to count before but also be fair to their non counting tastes and I just didn't have the self control. Of course I've learned now that picking lower cal options isn't a big deal because we have fell in love with quite a few recipes and don't eat out at our daily spots (Buffalo Wid Wings, Taco Bell, Dominoes, etc) Feeling like I'm not alone is a big big big help.

Second, I've stopped denying myself. I follow the rules to stay under my calorie goal and that's it. I'm not giving up sweet tea. I'm from the South and I love it like crazy. I just drink less, and whatever cals I use up for sweet tea I now acknowledge and take away from my "food bank." I went water only for 2 months once and hated it. Now I have mostly water and tea when I crave it or it better fits the meal (for example I'm a wimp for spicy things which my roomies love, so I drink a sweet tea with my meal to cool my tongue. And of course make me happy! Haha)

Thirdly, I'm getting "involved" with MFP. My username has my name in it now. I posted my profile picture. My friends have MFP. I made a forum just for general help. I browse through the success forums and other parts of the community. By making myself more invested in this app/site, I feel more invested towards my goals. Making forums makes me curious enough about any possible replies to come back here. Checking out success stories encourages me.

Another thing that may help is financially investing. I haven't, yet, but I am going to buy a scale. Just that 10-15 bucks sitting around in the kitchen would encourage me not to waste it but to use it and therefore pay attention to my portions. One of my roommates bought a water bottle and a nice one of those "bracelets" that counts steps and connects to his phone and such.

Other than that I guess just realizing I want to explore the world and have adventures and take pictures I don't stress out about, which I personally can't do at 5"8 and 205 pounds.

Woo what a mouth full! Good luck to you on your journey and I hope we both stick around for the long run. :)
  • ebtaylor137
    ebtaylor137 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is my who knows how many times. This time really feels different though, and I've been on here consistently for over a month, and I have no urge to stop.

Honestly three things have kept me on:

1) Having an iPhone and using the app for it. It makes searching so much easier when you can just scan a barcode and don't have to look at things and carry around your computer.
    2) Having a simple diet and not being able to eat out much. This makes things easier to track as well.
    3) Finding an activity I love. It was maddening trying to meet strict calorie goals when I wasn't doing anything. And now I love running and it gave me another great reason to lose weight that for some reason is more motivating to me than getting healthier and all. I want to lose weight so running is easier and so I can go faster! For some reason that is much more motivating to me than health or looking a certain way or anything. And if I stick to MFP, it really works for me, and when I go off, it doesn't seem to!
  • DiggityFizz
    Options
    Wow, thank you guys so much for all your replies! Perhaps that's what's been missing the whole time, is some genuine motivation from real people, so maybe this time I'll get involved in the MFP community. Heck, maybe I'll even start a blog.

All your advice has been great - I think for me, food is the one luxury/indulgence I use as a reward for being stressed, working hard, etc. I need to find another way to reward myself on a daily basis - I think that'll be key for me to stick with it, to realise once and for all that food is not rewarding if it's used in the wrong way!

Thanks again...