What do you do with your shame clothes?

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Shame clothes? That just doesn't seem like a very healthy perspective in general...

Yeah I'm only ashamed I threw good money out the window
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I'd rather wear nicer classic stuff that might be a couple of seasons out of date than the cheap temporary wardrobe I spent $500-$800 on (even only buying at sales. You need to cover a bunch of situations. Weddings happen, etc.....)

Well, I personally do like to keep my sentimental-value and wedding pieces, like I said. I am too small now for the lovely dress I got for my father-in-law's wedding, as an example. That I'll be having tailored. I would definitely wear it again.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Shame clothes? That just doesn't seem like a very healthy perspective in general...

thats what im thinking.

im steadily losing weight. ive given a lot of the stuff that is now too big to the church for their clothes closet. stuff thats too small im holding on too till its not! :P ive bought several items of clothing that are just a hair too small but another month and they shouldnt be!

the stuff thats too big that i LOVE- depends on what it is. if its a sweater or something, ill keep it, but if its something i literally WONT be able to wear, ill donate it.

but im not one to hang onto stuff.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Shame clothes seems an odd thing to call those clothes to me as well.
    I've been overweight for a long time. I don't have many clothes that are too small because I got rid of things I couldn't wear. I have a couple of pairs of pants that were too tight. I kept them and call them my test pants. I try them on once a month and every month they fit better. Pretty soon I will be able to wear them comfortably.

• MoreFabbLessFlab
    MoreFabbLessFlab Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Why do you call them "shame" clothes? Are or were you "ashamed" of yourself? I am a big girl and have never thought of anything in my life as "shameful" clothes or choices. I do have clothes that I plan on fitting into, a few pairs of jeans tucked on a shelf, the rest I get rid of. It's nice to buy something new in a new size. Very motivating and there is NO shame in my game!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't. I don't feel shame that I have some clothes that don't quite fit. I have a beautiful baby to show for my weight gain.

My pre-pregnancy clothes are in my wardrobe still. I like to try them on every so often to see how much closer I am to getting into them.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call them "shame clothes", but items that don't fit (too big OR small) or things I don't have use for right now (ie business suits) but I want to keep it for one reason or another, I packed into space bags, vaccuumed them down and stored them on the shelf in my closet.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I keep them unless they're worn out or way out of style. Or in a size I know I'll never hit again.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I donated my too big clothes to the local food/clothes basket. I, too, don't think of them as "shame" clothes, just where I was at that point in my life.
  • stefsc1
    stefsc1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My small clothes are "goal" clothing, not "shame" clothing! Why would I be ashamed that I'm working my way towards fitting into smaller sizes?

Anything that I think I have at least 3 more months before I fit into are stored in a suitcase in the garage. Jeans that are only 1 size too small are pushed into the back of my closet to be pulled forward when the ones I wear currently get too annoying to keep pulling up all day!

One day I just went through all of my clothing and discarded items that I didn't like enough to bother trying to fit into someday, and clothing that is now too big for me, but I really shouldn't wear again anyway even if I regain weight. I'm keeping a few of my favorite, most flattering pieces from my heaviest weight just in case, but I donated most of them.
  • runnrchic
    runnrchic Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have gone down one size, so I sewed in all my pants with my sewing machine.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I took three suits in to get them cut down to size yesterday.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I don't have shame clothes - I have bulk and cut clothes :)

My wee stuff is at the bottom of the drawers till I can get it out again (and the stuff that's way too big is away to oxfam).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I got rid of most clothes that I didn't wear, sure that the change was for life. Which was ok until I regained after injury. So I had to get some new stuff again. That's 3-4 entire different wardrobes I've had to buy. Keep your old sh**.

Yeah--I have regained small amounts (temporarily) due to injury, surgery, etc. That's why I always keep one bigger size.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got rid of most clothes that I didn't wear, sure that the change was for life. Which was ok until I regained after injury. So I had to get some new stuff again. That's 3-4 entire different wardrobes I've had to buy. Keep your old sh**.

Yeah--I have regained small amounts (temporarily) due to injury, surgery, etc. That's why I always keep one bigger size.

That's a good rule - keep one size up and one size down. Best not to vary beyond that, if possible, anyway. If you have to get out the one-up pants, that should be a signal to tighten up the diet.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas guys!

I call them shame clothes because I think it's a funny term for them, but some people are taking the term much more seriously than I am. Not trying to be offensive, I just don't take gaining some weight that seriously. I'll get back into them soon enough!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't view them as shame clothes as that is so negative- if you really love them then maybe keep one hanging on your bedroom door as an incentive. otherwise get rid of them and treat yourself to new clothes as a reward :)
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My spare bed is currently covered in 2 rows of clothes that don't yet fit - smallest at the back with those that aren't too far from fitting at the front where they can be tried on at regular intervals. Next to that bed is a plastic bag for clothing donations - just added a pair of denim 3/4 pants to the bag yesterday.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Kept them, and I'm now getting back into them :)

Ok, actually I got rid of the clothes that I knew I was NEVER going to get into again because I have a different weight goal this time around. Before I went TOO low. So, my 6's and 8's are fitting (where I want to be), and my 4's got either consignment shop sold or Goodwill'd.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I don't want to get rid of them, a lot of the stuff is expensive and only maybe two sizes too tight. They're just uncomfortable right now so I don't wear them. But I will be able to soon!
    the only uncomfortable thing is this thread.
    shame on you.
    gift away.