How do you log things that you do that are not on the database

Options
I work as a custodian 3 hours per night 5 days per week, sweeping floors, moping, vacuuming, etc.. That should be considered an exercise shouldn't it? I also shoveled horse poop for 3 hours straight in a pasture today. Wet mucking poop, getting stuck in the mud kind of poop and then having to carry muck buckets to a pile so that we could have it hauled away.. How much exercise is that? How do you calculate something like this.. Hard work should be considered exercise..

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    For your custodian job I would just figure that into your activity level since you do it regularly. As for shoveling horse poop, is there an option for shoveling snow maybe?
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try the link below ... there are categories in there for housework and yardwork that would probably cover it for you. ;-) http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your job is already included in your activity level, so there's no need to log it
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    if you want exact data, get a heart rate monitor and wear it while you do the chores or other exercises. You can buy a reasonably priced HRM on amazon, ebay or in retail stores. Prices vary, it depends on how much bells and whistles you want. Good luck!! Shoveling is hard work, so get your "credit" for it!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    marx4 wrote: »
    if you want exact data, get a heart rate monitor and wear it while you do the chores or other exercises. You can buy a reasonably priced HRM on amazon, ebay or in retail stores. Prices vary, it depends on how much bells and whistles you want. Good luck!! Shoveling is hard work, so get your "credit" for it!!

A HRM calorie estimates are based on steady state cardio exercise. Outside of that, they are less to not at all accurate. They would not be useful for these types of activites. She would likely get an inflated burn.

I agree with PPs. Your work should be included in your daily activity. Choose the active or lightly active setting.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    marx4 wrote: »

NO, A HRM WILL NOT GIVE "EXACT DATA" FOR THOSE TYPE ACTIVITIES!!!!!!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if its what you do every day (or most days) then no, you should not count it.