Daily Water Intake

Options
2»

Replies

• DarkSwan
    DarkSwan Posts: 29
    Options
    I could be wrong , but I am pretty sure there is no such thing as "too much" water. Once your body gets what it needs you just pee out the extra. Which burns calories (specially making so many trips to the bathroom! Haha) and helps purify your system.

I drink half a gallon to two gallons of water a day. I have a 24oz stainless steel water bottle that goes with me every where and a 2 liter jug I use at home. I drink pretty much only water, occasionally I will have some real juice or milk but no soda or sugary crap. I drink when I am thirsty of course but also when I get the urge to eat but am not actually hungry. So instead of snacking a knock back water all day, killing two birds with one stone.
  • YellowFreesia
    Options
    I have a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle and fill it up 2-3 times a day at work and don't consume quite as much at home. On days that I exercise I of course always have a bottle handy. I have been known to drink 128+ oz. of water in a day.
  • DarkSwan
    DarkSwan Posts: 29
    Options
    I could be wrong , but I am pretty sure there is no such thing as "too much" water. Once your body gets what it needs you just pee out the extra. Which burns calories (specially making so many trips to the bathroom! Haha) and helps purify your system.

I drink half a gallon to two gallons of water a day. I have a 24oz stainless steel water bottle that goes with me every where and a 2 liter jug I use at home. I drink pretty much only water, occasionally I will have some real juice or milk but no soda or sugary crap. I drink when I am thirsty of course but also when I get the urge to eat but am not actually hungry. So instead of snacking a knock back water all day, killing two birds with one stone.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

YES, you can drink to much water...GOOGLE "Flushing" and note the DANGERS.

Also, why would anyone put themselves through the "Pain" of drinking a gallon or more of water per day. Is this another FAD that young women have come up with to lose weight...aren't they aware of the physical toll it has on the Body. I know that people with eating disorders drink an inordinate amount of water.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Would a 12 oz bottle of beer count as water?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Would a 12 oz bottle of beer count as water?

ACTUALLY, yes it would...see that article I posted. Doctors actually count all liquids as part of the "water" count, and about 20% of our water requirement comes from what we eat.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    That's a good rule, to just divide your weight in half. You definitely will benefit from drinking more than the standard 8 glasses a day, especially if you exercise, since you need to replace water that you sweat out, so anything extra doesn't count toward your minimum.

It would be quite difficult to drink too much water. It's possible, but nearly impossible.

And I disagree that other beverages count as water. Sure, they count as HYDRATION but not toward your water goal. Water flushes toxins like no other beverage, including flavored water.
  • jeniferjb
    jeniferjb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your activity throughout the day and whether or not you're in hot weather. 64 oz is the 'basic' rule.
    And it's also not as much about how much you drink but how fast you drink it. Your kidneys can handle it as long as you're peeing and sweating and eating during the day! (I'm not being a smarty pants - I just researched it! lol!)

...I also heard somewhere that for every ounce of soda you take in you should even it out with the same amount of water (in addition to the 64 ozs) ...but that's just something 'I heard' and you know how that goes!

:flowerforyou:
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 liters a day. During the hot Texas summer, I'll drink more than that.
  • tanjanica
    tanjanica Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water. It can lead to water intoxication. But you're on the right track of drinking half your body weight.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I work in an office and the water fountain is literally right outside of the bathroom so it is easy to keep my water filled up. I usually drink a LOT during the day. Living in Colorado and working out almost every day makes it pretty much a necessity to drink lots of water.

When I am not in the office I usually have a hard time drinking enough water (especially on the weekends) because I just forget about it.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Also, why would anyone put themselves through the "Pain" of drinking a gallon or more of water per day. Is this another FAD that young women have come up with to lose weight...aren't they aware of the physical toll it has on the Body. I know that people with eating disorders drink an inordinate amount of water.

I think depending on your environment and activity level a gallon of water isn't necessary a "pain". Personally, if I counted any liquid I drank in my "8 x 8oz" (pop, beer, etc) I would be insanely thirsty and probably get a headache. However, I think you're right that people should not be forcing themselves to drink excessive amounts of water (or any liquid) instead of eating nutritious food.

A metric I use to gauge if I'm drinking enough water is (sorry to be gross) looking at the color of my pee. If it's pretty clear, I take it easy on water consumption, but if it's very yellow I'll step up on the water.
  • Kritter8682
    Kritter8682 Posts: 29
    Options
    A metric I use to gauge if I'm drinking enough water is (sorry to be gross) looking at the color of my pee. If it's pretty clear, I take it easy on water consumption, but if it's very yellow I'll step up on the water.

i notice this too. i'll look at that sometimes too- i never thought of using it as a gauge though- that's a great idea!