Strength Training Help

Options
c613477
c613477 Posts: 296 Member
I still have about 20-25 lbs to lose, and have been watching my diet and doing mostly cardio (running, elliptical and dance classes). I do limited strength training using machines for 20 minutes a week. I know this is not enough, but I am terrified to lift heavier weights and don't know where to start. I use to lift heavier with free weights (never more than twice a week though) until I tore my rotator cuff. I had a terrible time with surgery and a year of PT. My shoulder never regained full motion and I have very little strength left. With this in mind, I want to build my muscle strength back, tone up, and having my shoulder bear some weight would be nice too. Where should I start? I had surgery almost 3 years ago!!! I had a baby meanwhile and was on bedrest during the pregnancy which certainly didn't help keep my muscle mass...

Replies

• mitty00
    mitty00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Rob Shaul at strongswiftdurable.com have programming for injured athletes
  • c613477
    Options
    Thank you. I will go check it out! Anyone out here with rotator cuff repairs that successfully lifts weights?
  • c613477
    Options
    They charge for a program...mitty, did you every try it?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    c613477 wrote: »
    Thank you. I will go check it out! Anyone out here with rotator cuff repairs that successfully lifts weights?

I would check out material by Eric Cressey. We works with a lot of baseball players ( Pitchers) that commonly have shoulder injuries.

http://www.ericcressey.com/
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re concerned about your shoulder, I’d hire a personal trainer to work with. We can all give you general programs, but you may not be willing to do the work if it scares you. I think having a trainer working directly with you would be a better solution.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    What were they having you do for PT? Can you talk with your physical therapist about what exercises would be best to begin rebuilding strength and mobility? My husband has an issue with his shoulder (old dislocation that needs surgery that he will never take time off work to get). He was doing well with exercises his therapist gave him but then a friend of ours who is a personal trainer gave him a few new things to try and they've helped him immensely. This friend really knows what he's doing though and tailored the exercises to my husbands situation. If you could find someone who is knowledgable to work with you it would probably help you a lot more than we can.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I had shoulder surgery about 29 years ago. If I don't exercise my shoulder, it gets very sore and achy and bad things start happening. I've been lifting very light weights at least 4 times a week since then. Just like 5 and 10 pounds. I've recently started increasing and now I'm regularly using 12 and 15 pound dumbbells. I don't know if I'll ever going heavier than that. I still get nervous with it, even after all these years. But I definitely feel much better with regular exercise for it.
  • c613477
    Options
    Allan, you might be right. Since I feel it so different and I tore it during weight lifting (shoulder press), I might need a trainer that actually knows about shoulder injuries to be confident. It is a little costly, but maybe I would only need a few sessions? I would be willing to try something gradual, but I haven't found it yet. Or better, I see a lot of things, but don't know what is a good solid program I should start with.
  • c613477
    Options
    Knitt, it has been so long, I cannot remember that well. I was sent to redo the surgery after almost 1 year of therapy, since they thought something happened that limited my movement. I refused...it was a VERY painful time in my life and I don't want to repeat it! I am better now, I feel like I have 90% range of motion.
  • c613477
    Options
    Thank for the link. I will check it out. Great point, lots of ball players with similar repairs.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The number of sessions probably depends more on you. I blew out my shoulder when I was in HS, being dumb. It troubled me for years. One day, I realized I had a mental block, not a physical issue. Suddenly, my upper body strength seemed to come back. The mind-muscle relationship is staggering. I’m not saying your issue is the same. But you owe it to yourself to see if you can work through or around this and find your path.