Which Frying Pan ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I like cast iron or stainless steel.
    My stainless steel pans have been used almost daily for 9 years and still look pretty new. To keep stuff from sticking you want the pan hot before putting food in. foodnetwork.com/how-to/articles/solutions-for-common-issues-with-stainless-steel-cookware.html
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't even know about cast iron pans - any specific brands?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lagostina-black-cast-iron-frypan-10-in-1428323p.html#.VQON3UZhKnQ

here is one I saw
  • daisyverma
    Options
    I had a TFAL non stick pan and it got ruined in a few months. I use it for stir fries or frying burgers/patties

As Im a vegetarian, don't really cook meat stuff ...if that makes a difference
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    daisyverma wrote: »
    I didn't even know about cast iron pans - any specific brands?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/lagostina-black-cast-iron-frypan-10-in-1428323p.html#.VQON3UZhKnQ

here is one I saw

I have a Lodge pan that I love--the lid converts into a second, shallow frying pan, and the whole thing can go in the oven, on a grill, etc. It's great for paella, fajitas, etc.

I adore cast iron, but it is not a great surface if you want to do oil-free cooking.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    Carbon steel, then cast iron. After that I have few different SS pans that work really well, especially the copper ones made in France, but for a cheap workhorse where nothing sticks, my go to pans will always be carbon steel.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    fyi non stick pans you have to cook food on a lower heat and use a spray oil... this make the pan last longer.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    Cast iron will last a lifetime. Two of ours never make it back into the cupboard, they are used so often...they sit on top of the stove ready to go. Completely non stick, and better for you than toxic non stick coatings.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Frying pans are for sissies.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Not always!
    c0ebnkogrmj4.jpeg
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "Long lasting" ... "at least a year"...

Does not compute.

I'm using inherited Weber cast iron originally bought (by Grandma) in 1953 and as far as I can tell, will last another 5,000+ years.

I use less oil than my wife uses on teflon (she says iron's too heavy to heave around the kitchen) . Plus : low fat, low cal non stock spray is a thing, too, right?
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Not always!
    c0ebnkogrmj4.jpeg

If I got the first punch in,I could take her.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Not always!
    c0ebnkogrmj4.jpeg

Watch a woman with a pot....cough* could have hot rice in it.......you know rice sticks right?
  • ncboiler89
    Options

Not always!
    c0ebnkogrmj4.jpeg

Watch a woman with a pot....cough* could have hot rice in it.......you know rice sticks right?

Women on pot are easy to take. Just offer them Doritos.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

Not always!
    c0ebnkogrmj4.jpeg

Women on pot are easy to take. Just offer them Doritos.

laughsss! IN!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    "Long lasting" ... "at least a year"...

Does not compute.

I'm using inherited Weber cast iron originally bought (by Grandma) in 1953 and as far as I can tell, will last another 5,000+ years.

I use less oil than my wife uses on teflon (she says iron's too heavy to heave around the kitchen) . Plus : low fat, low cal non stock spray is a thing, too, right?

That stuff destroys your pans. If you've ever noticed a brownish stain that doesn't ever seem to wash completely off, that's from non-stick spray. It's harder to see on dark surfaces, but it's still there. If you absolutely need to make something non-stick, use parchment paper or silpat in the oven, and use a few drops of whatever kind of oil on a paper towel to wipe down one for stovetop.
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this had already been asked, but what kind of cooktop do you use and how high is the heat? I use both nonstick and stainless steel...It depends on what I'm making.

I actually used to sell a variety of cookware: Calphalon, All Clad, Anolon, etc. I will tell you right now you don't need the most expensive thing out there. I personally own Calphalon tri-ply stainless steel and one large Anolon wok (nonstick).

I would, however, suggest investing in one decent sized Le Creuset. They're a fantastic multi-use (both stove top and inside the oven). Pricey, but they're pretty indestructible.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I own a few nice pans, but for nonstick, I buy cheap and don't expect them to last.
  • daisyverma
    Options
    I'm not sure if this had already been asked, but what kind of cooktop do you use and how high is the heat? I use both nonstick and stainless steel...It depends on what I'm making.

I actually used to sell a variety of cookware: Calphalon, All Clad, Anolon, etc. I will tell you right now you don't need the most expensive thing out there. I personally own Calphalon tri-ply stainless steel and one large Anolon wok (nonstick).

I would, however, suggest investing in one decent sized Le Creuset. They're a fantastic multi-use (both stove top and inside the oven). Pricey, but they're pretty indestructible.

I have a gas stove and I use the pan for stir frying or pan frying. So maybe medium to high heat
    I have heard of the Le Creuset pans and they are pricey. Hoping I can find one on sale
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would suggest first no high heat, especially with gas. Stick to med-med/high. (And if you weren't doing this already, don't put the pan under any water until it completely cools off. Also use nonstick tools. No metal). You could probably get away with one larger nonstick pan (try a wok). I love my Anolon wok and it was about $60. I use it quite frequently.

Keep an eye out for clearance Le Creuset! I bought a $300 piece for $80 because they discontinued the color! The store was willing to give me an extra discount because it was the last one and had no box. Try Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Sur la Table, and Williams Sonoma.