Cooking For College Guys?

Options
AlexisMichele93
AlexisMichele93 Posts: 60 Member
Hey everyone! I'm new here. I live with my boyfriend and his best friend. We're all in college aka busy and broke. :) Does anyone have some good healthy (<600 cals?) suggestions for quick (<45 mins of active work) and cheapish meal? I've been trying to Google recipes as we all want to lose some weight, but that isn't really working. I'm willing to try anything you can suggest so we can build our cookbook of favorite recipes! Tia

Replies

• robbieboehmer
    Options
    In college and cook everyday. Breakfast is either eggs, oatmeal, premade pancake batter in old ketchup bottle, fruit smoothie or banana milk peanut butter and chocolate protein powder. Many of those items are cheap - eggs, pancakes (i don't even cook on oil or eat with syrup lol), milk, bananaa, oatmeal (homemade baked cheaper or quick packets). For lunch I always bring granola bars ( again can be homemade), a pbj or pb honey, leftover dinner, and fruit cup. Dinner I usually use chicken in some form but I just make big *kitten* meals so I can have leftover for lunch. Anything can be healthy if less sugar/fat or smaller servings. I often make lasagna, potatoes and ham even, chilli is really cheap white chicken or red. Split pea soup cheap but makes everyone fart haha. Curries are so gooood. Meat ball are cheap - buy turkey in tubes and like 2 bucks a pound, mix with breadcrumb and onions and general recipee things. Buy in bulk always and freeze if needed. They only sell chicken breasts in 5s here but thighs can be cheap but have bone and harder to tell when cooked. Google easy bread recipee if you want something special - warm bread that is fresh and just yeast salt flour water, honey later when warm is sooo good. If need be - frozen yogurt by blue bunney is heavenly and like 1/4 the fat of regular. Just Google recipees, I promise you just need to be more specific and not "good recipees". Think of foods like asparagus, artichoke, sweet potatoe, squash and add other words like chicken. All recipees is okay, just always look at the comments l below! Goodluck!
  • AlexisMichele93
    Options
    Thank you both! I like the batter in the ketchup bottle idea. I think my problem was I'd try college meals and the suggestions are usually ramen noodle or sandwhich ideas haha Right now I make chicken, steak if we can afford it, or pork (our friend hates fish) and then quite a few sides because of the varying tastes. I don't like spicy which they both love and friend doesn't like vegetables but I eat broccoli and asparagus religiously. :) Anyways these were very helpful so thanks! I want to lose 20-30 pounds and they're working on 75ish so just starting to cook ourselves has definitely made it easier.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I like the batter in the ketchup bottle idea. I think my problem was I'd try college meals and the suggestions are usually ramen noodle or sandwhich ideas haha Right now I make chicken, steak if we can afford it, or pork (our friend hates fish) and then quite a few sides because of the varying tastes. I don't like spicy which they both love and friend doesn't like vegetables but I eat broccoli and asparagus religiously. :) Anyways these were very helpful so thanks! I want to lose 20-30 pounds and they're working on 75ish so just starting to cook ourselves has definitely made it easier.

Prepping ahead really helps me. I am trying to get in the habit of washing and chopping all my veggies at the same time. This weekend my daughter and I are going to make several dishes, soups and breakfasts to be frozen. I want to make some crockpot freezer meals, too. It helps us to eat at home and is so much healthier and cheaper.

Maybe you and your friends could do a "week in a day" cooking party. Have everybody pick their two favorites and see how that goes.
  • AlexisMichele93
    Options

Prepping ahead really helps me. I am trying to get in the habit of washing and chopping all my veggies at the same time. This weekend my daughter and I are going to make several dishes, soups and breakfasts to be frozen. I want to make some crockpot freezer meals, too. It helps us to eat at home and is so much healthier and cheaper.

Maybe you and your friends could do a "week in a day" cooking party. Have everybody pick their two favorites and see how that goes.

This is a very good idea. We have some staple favorite foods (we all 3 can down some yellow squash). Maybe we could pick out our sides and make them Sunday or Wednesday and then just choose some main meals and we each grab the sides we like. Keeping some things frozen would help so much with snacking (and buying a more on sale to save would help cost wise). I'm a hardcore chocolate fan and often overeat if I'm not very disciplined, but honestly I'd grab a thing of cooked asparagus with just as much gusto if I didn't have to worry about anything but the microwave. I'm thinking about buying a kitchen scale as we currently just guesstimate really. A recipe says 1 lb with 4 servings and we'll each multiply the calories by 1.3, but our dividing of the food itself is not near as precise and equal.

Thanks for your reply! :)
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Kitchen scale is a great idea. I was totally horrified (and rapidly educated) by the huge difference between my estimates and the sad reality
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A really cheap and calorie friendly dessert is a 3-2-1 cake. Have you ever heard of them? I love chocolate, too, so have made up a batch of mix to keep on hand. It makes a ton of mix, too.

1 box any flavor cake mix
    1 box angel food cake mix

Mix together dry mixes. When ready to have a piece of cake:

Place in a coffee mug:
    3 Tbsps cake mix
    2 Tbsps water. Stir thoroughly.
    Microwave 1 min. (I have to do 55 sec.) YMMV

They are about the size of a cupcake, but are light and airy. Like a flavored angel food cake. If you use a regular cake mix, they are 81 calories each.

I just had a German chocolate one with 1/2 cup strawberries and 4 Tbsp lite cool whip. Yum! Only 149 calories for a good-sized dessert.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    For 600cal you have a million options. To save money, look for non-fresh items you can add in, eg. canned beans, corn, frozen peas etc. Carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes) are also a cheap buy.

As for recipe ideas: pasta with bolognese from lean ground beef/pesto chicken/arrabiata/puttanesca/ground turkey and mushrooms. Rice with (vegetarian) chili/pumpkin and kidney beans/egg fried rice/curry. (Mashed) potatoes (skim milk no butter) with any protein of choice/jacket potatoes.
  • AlexisMichele93
    Options
    That cake idea sounds to die for. And it would help me control myself so much, it's easy enough to mix up when I'm craving but I won't just have a big pan laying around for me to be tempted by! I'm going to buy a scale Monday, I'm sure I've severely underestimated my calories haha Still lost a pound this week though so I'm satisfied. I think we will stock up on some frozen veggies and rice for sure to help it costs. Then I guess just mix and match those with a main protein and any fresh produce we got that week for a meal. :)
  • taylorvanhooren
    taylorvanhooren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    today I made stuffed chicken breasts. I took a breast and cut it in half so I could have a top and bottom with "stuffing" in between. I diced cherry tomatoes, avocado, and a bit of cheese and put it on top of the bottom half of the breast. then I put some dry stuffing on, a bit of coconut oil, then the top of the breast. oven at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes. it only took 10 minutes max to prep.
    I'm in university and I find that meal prepping really helps. make a bunch of salads in containers (without dressing or it will go soggy). make some chicken and rice and separate into meal size containers. do it all one day and you're good for the week! that really helps me
  • HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been in college for 22 years, ( I just like to take a class every semester). The hardest part for me is I also work 60 hours a week and I am a single dad so time for me is the rarest of commodities. I have found that pre prep is the only thing that keeps me out of the drive through lines. I crack a dozen eggs and put them in a Rubbermaid quart bottle so I can dispense one at a time. I make huge batches of brown rice, and oatmeal, then freeze individual portions. I also bake up a couple of packages of turkey bacon at a time and wrap up three slice portions in plastic wrap and put these in a big gallon Ziploc. Fifteen seconds in the microwave, one egg and I am there. I bake a bunch of potatoes at one time and then wrap them. I always have the building blocks for hash browns, potato soup, or mashies. I get cheap 8 oz. paper take out containers at the restaurant supply and portion out everything in them from dinner entrees to sugar free gelatin. As far as traditional college food goes as your skill sets improve you will find you can make anything you like healthier and better than you can get it elsewhere. Make chips with tortillas and pam in the oven, or pizzas with turkey bacon and sausage. And who doesn't like PBR or Natural light?

If you have a restaurant supply store near you, I suggest getting to know it. For example, my local Super Market is charging a buck or more a pound for baking potatoes. The local Cash and Carry is selling those same potatoes for seven dollars a fifty pound sack. I usually buy a sack, keep half, and give the other half to my employees. I get to be nice and still save a huge amount of dough. With some cooperation and effort you might find you will be eating better and cheaper.

Look at Harbor Freight online for a cheap digital scale. Mine does grams, ounces, has a tare feature, and it was about five bucks. I think its is about five years old.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    there is an online recipe book out there for people who get SNAP/EBT benefits it has really good recipes and each serving is less than $2 a person since thats what snap people get
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Budget Bytes has tons of cheap recipes. You can pick those that work for your calorie goals. Hearty Black Bean Quesadillas are one of my favorites for make ahead quick food.