Muscle soreness

Options
what is the best way to help relieve muscle soreness?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofren, epsom salt bath, or dynamic stretching.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Stretching will help but not take care of it completely. Assuming it's just muscle soreness. It goes away after training for a while.
  • elsewhere985
    Options
    just takes time... if the muscles are sore then you done it right ! keep pushing...
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Time.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Swimming followed by hot tub with jet stream massaging the sore muscles, other forms of heat, very light low resistance workouts, good sound sleep, easily digestible proteins, and time all work with me. Be careful with the NSAIDS and do some research on long term use.
  • kunalshinde
    Options
    angellak wrote: »
    what is the best way to help relieve muscle soreness?
    Light cardio the day after leg workout always helps as it gets the blood flowing thus reducing muscle soreness.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, do active rest, and I also find self-myofascial release works. If this is persistent with each workout, consider supplements like creatine and BCAAs pre and/or post workout.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to keep moving through the discomfort - something easy like walking, and stretching when I am warmed up. Sleeping well and good nutrition probably don't hurt, either. I don't like to take NSAIDs but have on one or two occasions in the past several months after getting too enthusiastic with lifts.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen for me. If I strain my back, ice. If it is just general soreness, I might take a hot bath. Definitely focus on hydration. But my go-to is always Ibuprofen.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    To add to the already good advice, yin yoga is one of my favorite muscle soreness relievers particularly after a long run. Also a foam roller.
  • IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, do active rest, and I also find self-myofascial release works. If this is persistent with each workout, consider supplements like creatine and BCAAs pre and/or post workout.

I seem to agree with this guy a lot. If its muscle soreness its dew too lactic acid build up in your joints and muscles from training. BCAA's will aid in flushing the lactic acid out and help with the soreness.

• angellak
    angellak Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • mitty00
    mitty00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    NSAIDS may comprise muscle synthesis slightly, although the jury is still out. It's probably best to only use them for injury or severe soreness. Easily digestable proteins as mentioned help, if it's really bad maybe even try free form aminos. Generally making sure you get a solid protein amount daily may also help if you are in a big caloric deficit, though don't compromise fat too much.
  • mitty00
    mitty00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    *compromise
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Also excessive ibuprofen use can cause other problems like liver damage. Take BCAA powder, get extra protein, stretch, walk, Epsom baths, hot/cold packs if need be, IMO those are all preferred to pain meds.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like my muscle when it's sore. It just means it's working. Lol
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    mitty00 wrote: »
    *compromise

As a fifth grade teacher, I love that you corrected your spelling. Will you marry me? lol. Just kidding.

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    IFBBRich wrote: »

I seem to agree with this guy a lot. If its muscle soreness its dew too lactic acid build up in your joints and muscles from training. BCAA's will aid in flushing the lactic acid out and help with the soreness.

It has nothing to do with lactic acid. Lactic acid is broken down within a few hours, DOMS kick in about 24-48 hours after that.

Light exercise followed by light stretching works best for me and it is something that I can easily do wherever I am.