Almond meal baking

Options
I've heard that almond meal is a good substitute for flour when baking (I'm trying to cut out breads so that includes things like bagels, muffins, cakes, etc.), but how exactly does one use it? Does anyone have some easy recipes for baking with almond meal (I can't cook or bake to save my life, so I mean EASY)? Also, can you get it at just any grocery store?

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• blakgarnet
    Options
    I made a carrot cake the other week with one cup ground almonds to replace some of the flour (the recipe called for it) and it was great. there was some regular flour in it too though. I just threw almonds into the food processor until I had enough of it ground up. I don't know how well it will do if it's not fresh, there;s so much natural oils in almonds.
  • ajprice66
    Options
    I love this cornbread recipe - great if you're trying to cut out bread...I recommend that you line your baking dish as it tends to stick...& I have to say, I am no baker but this is so easy :)
    http://www.lowcarbist.com/2009/02/green-onion-cornbread/
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Use it for denser type cakes and bakes as you would normal flour (but you may still need to add some normal flower as well even in that case). Other types of bakes may not come out as successful. Just be aware that almond flour is very high in calories and that you may need to eat much smaller portions than you usually do.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    -triple post technical problems-
  • amusedmonkey
    edited March 2015
    Options
    -triple post technical problems-
  • Nikstar70
    Nikstar70 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour is also a good substitute and works well almond meal. I also use it in seat of bread crumbs in meatloaf, chicken stuffing and for crumbing meat and other foods.