I eat about 600-800 cal per day

Options
I was eating less then 1200 cal even before i get this app and i have fitness trainings 3 times a week. Sometimes before shower i do 10-20 minutes of excersise. I lose about 1-1,5kg a week but i'm not sure is it healty to it that little? And i don't eat anything expect sometimes fruit afetr 6pm. Is that okay becouse i sometimes feel really weak ??

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is called an eating disorder. Please talk to a dr.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    What you are doing is called an eating disorder. Please talk to a dr.

+1
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You are not giving your body enough food to function. Your body needs calories for energy to fuel the basics of organ function. To move your heat and lungs and for your liver and kidneys etc to work they need fuel and your not getting enough fuel.

Put your details into Mfp. It will work out how many calories your body needs to simply tick over. Once it's worked that out it will calculate a deficit. If you eat that amount and do no exercise you will loose weight. If you exercise you need fuel so when you exercise you need to calculate how many calories you used and eat approx that many calories back.

Mfp is calculated scienficically. If you work with the correct numbers it will work. You can't speed it up by eating fewer calories. All you'll be doing is starving your body and damaging it.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    irina99art wrote: »
    I was eating less then 1200 cal even before i get this app and i have fitness trainings 3 times a week. Sometimes before shower i do 10-20 minutes of excersise. I lose about 1-1,5kg a week but i'm not sure is it healty to it that little? And i don't eat anything expect sometimes fruit afetr 6pm. Is that okay becouse i sometimes feel really weak ??

No, you need to see a doctor.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weak = poor nutrition.

Poor nutrition or NO EATING = disorder. Exercising and NO EATING = disorder...

I can't believe there is a person that is using MFP to eat 600 calories a day. I don't need MFP to do that..

Get a doctor asap...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would not jump on the eating disorder wagon yet. Some people are just misinformed and believe they need to eat this little to lose weight. You don't. It's not good for your health to eat this little or lose this fast (if you don't have a lot to lose to start with). Put your numbers into the app and see what calories you get to lose 0.5 kg a week and follow that. You will feel better, stronger and healthier. Don't forget to register your exercises too, you may get even more calories to eat.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You need to at least double your eating. Your weight loss will slow down accordingly but it's not a race, and you get to keep your hair, nails, not die from malnutrition/exhaustion related episodes, etc. You may also be more likely to not fizzle out and quit if you're not doing a crash diet

I wonder if some of these posts are due to the app glitch that was giving folks less than 1200 cals. There've been a few of these kinds of posts recently?
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try eating 200-300 calories every few hours. Unless you're very petite and tiny, I would think your caloric intake should be between 1200-1500, if not more.

Food can be delicious, so why limit yourself to so little of it?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Another note. Once you make the decision to increase your calories expect your weight to go up. Don't let that scare you. That's just more food in your system, more water, more glycogen...etc. It's not real fat gain. In a week or two of eating at your new reasonable goal you will start losing again.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No it's absolutely not OK

You need help http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

And you need adequate nutrition which you aren't getting
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You're 19, you want to lose 13 pounds, and if you're losing 1kg per week, that's just over 2 pounds. If you can lose 2 pounds per week and only be looking to lose 13 total, you might be setting your weekly goal too aggressively. Be realistic about your expectations. Eat more and get your nutrition. If you feel weak, you're not doing it right.

I agree, let's not diagnose eating disorders here. Who here wasn't impatient and uninformed about this sort of thing at 19?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The fact that she's questioning the wisdom of eating so little is a good thing.

She may or may not have an eating disorder. But it couldn't hurt for her to see a doctor. At the very least, s/he can educate her about proper nutrition and how much she needs to eat.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You're 19, you want to lose 13 pounds, and if you're losing 1kg per week, that's just over 2 pounds. If you can lose 2 pounds per week and only be looking to lose 13 total, you might be setting your weekly goal too aggressively. Be realistic about your expectations. Eat more and get your nutrition. If you feel weak, you're not doing it right.

I agree, let's not diagnose eating disorders here. Who here wasn't impatient and uninformed about this sort of thing at 19?

Are you serious ?

She's on a VLCD which is dangerous and needs RL help

Let's not sweep it under the carpet with the idea we are being supportive...that's not support that's just failure to give appropriate advice
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. If you can't do that, then you need professional help. Unless of course you want to start losing hair, mess up your hormones, possibly ruin your fertility in future years, cause heart and other problems, up to and including possibly death.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Are you serious ?

Let's not sweep it under the carpet with the idea we are being supportive...that's not support that's just failure to give appropriate advice

We do not know why she is on a VLCD. Is it because she doesn't know better and thinks that's what she needs to do to lose weight, or does she really have an eating disorder (which involves much more than simply adopting a VLCD btw). In the first case she can easily switch to eating at a reasonable deficit, knowing that she would still lose weight if she does that. In the second case she would need real help. Until we know what is causing her to eat this low we should hold our assumptions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 600-800 calories a day, you are probably feeling weak because you are eating too little. Why are you eating so little? How much did myfitnesspal tell you to eat at setup?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to see a therapist about your eating disorder.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Are you serious ?

We do not know why she is on a VLCD. Is it because she doesn't know better and thinks that's what she needs to do to lose weight, or does she really have an eating disorder (which involves much more than simply adopting a VLCD btw). In the first case she can easily switch to eating at a reasonable deficit, knowing that she would still lose weight if she does that. In the second case she would need real help. Until we know what is causing her to eat this low we should hold our assumptions.

Exactly. People seem to forget that an eating disorder is a mental issue and throw the term around casually.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Thus she's being told to seek professional help. The fact that she IS only eating 800 calories a day states the problem. No one is going to sugar coat this, as this young lady needs help.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Are you serious ?

Exactly. People seem to forget that an eating disorder is a mental issue and throw the term around casually.

Actually people seem to forget that it is down to medics in the real world to assess and diagnose an eating disorder...and up to responsible adults on an internet site to point out that when someone is following a VLCD that contacting a medic is an appropriate step in evaluating current and future help requirements

This discussion has been closed.