I'm starting to get it!

For two months I've done strictly Calisthenic type of work outs on a low calorie diet. At first I am sure I was too low, at only 1,000 calories. Last week I upped my calories to 1,200 and also added three days of lifting instead of just straight Insanity six days per week. My weight has pretty much stayed the same for the past month. But in one week...one week!! I've been able to see the effects of weight lifting. I'm doing Nia Shank's 3x3x3 program and my stomach alone is inspiring. Also, I've upped my protein intake since I was never eating a lot of it and I am not so sore the morning after. Now I understand why strength training is important, why eating low calories is not always important, and why protein is so important! Last time I lost weight, it was a strict Weight Watchers diet and running 3 miles a day - 5 days a week. Although I was down way past my goal weight, I was still not happy with my body and now I know it was because I was "skinny fat". I don't want to be skinny fat, I want to be strong and healthy! I don't even care if the scale moves from where it is now because my body is telling me otherwise!

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I love weightlifting and do it 3 days a week. There are so many benefits to lifting weights.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Cardio will not really change your body shape (composition), but will help you loose weight. Lifting weights and resistance training will definitely change your body shape for the better. You will physically feel as strong as you look.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    After being here a while, I pretty much forgo cardio and do strength/resistance training instead. I love it! The weight comes off and what's underneath is happier. What I finally get is what "body building" can mean! :) (Even though I am not technically building currently.)
  • BiboPineNut
    BiboPineNut Posts: 19 Member
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    I love weightlifting and do it 3 days a week. There are so many benefits to lifting weights.

Same, been thinking about adding a 4th day but we'll see.

Also that's a sweet profile image!!
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Same here! Do you guys still track your calories and macros now?
  • slideaway1
    Also, you do not need to overdo weight training. I do about 45 minutes (intense), three times a week and then support the recovery with sufficient protein (even on rest days). I try to do two days of cardio a week too just for heart/cardiovascular support. Your body eventually starts to look stronger, firmer and more defined (depending on if macros are also being hit)
  • carmenrosab
    carmenrosab Posts: 44 Member
    @shoulilveshappy yes I do because I want to make sure I am not going crazy on the calories and under on the protein and fiber

@slideaway1‌ My routine is insanity-lift-insanity-lift-Rest and repeat. So basically four days on four days off, about three days of lifting a week. Does that sound about right? I'm really just starting so its new to me. I consider Insanity sort of like a cardio workout. Although when it gets warmer I might run a bit outside.
  • SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    Weight lifting and resistance workouts are the best way to shred inches and fat. If you work hard during your workout, your body will continue to burn afterwards. I
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    My focus is on my running but I still work out in the gym to balance out and prevent injuries.
  • slideaway1
    I've seen the adverts for Insanity and it looks tough. Almost like circuit training. Yes, it will be a great strength and cardio based workout. You will get fit and strong. I don't think that I could string four intense days of working out back to back together and look forward to it and enjoy it. I lift one day, rest and eat the next and repeat (hitting different body parts). I see that as something sustainable as I have steadily progressed with this routine over the last two years.
  • carmenrosab
    carmenrosab Posts: 44 Member
    @slideaway1‌ yeah Insanity is super hard but I love the way it makes me feel. I work so hard during the entire workout. But since I've added the strength training, I find that I look forward to that more than the insanity.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    I agree Insanity is great for cardio and core, but it doesn't do a whole lot for your upper body other than push-ups. In my opinion combining it with some strength training a couple days a week is the way to go.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    One of the hardest things for me to do was move off of a heavy cardio regime and go to a 50/50 cardio/weights program. I feared I would gain back the progress I made. But after a 3 month plateau I had to find something new to try. Been doing a Body Beast/Insanity hybrid for the past 4 weeks and the pounds have started falling off again. You read articles about how weight lifting is more beneficial but I think people get stuck in their ways and routines and are scared to move away from them. Now I know better!