1,200 Calories?

Options
Hello everybody, I'm an 18 yr old female, currently weighing 230 lbs. For the last five or so days I have been eating around 1150 calories per day (and have lost 5 lbs in one week). Feeling a little more tired than usually but so far not to bad. I want to lose 60 lbs by the end of August 2015. Since I am considered "obese" is this a safe amount of calories? (I do little to no exercise. I do have a history of eating disorders and I have to be careful I don't go down that path again.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would say your aim should be to hit 1200. You could actually probably eat closer to 1300 - 1500 to lose weight.
    How tall are you?
  • sunlovdove445
    sunlovdove445 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would say your aim should be to hit 1200. You could actually probably eat closer to 1300 - 1500 to lose weight.
    How tall are you?

About 5' 5".
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You could afford to eat more. I average 1200-1500 gross calories per day. I try not to eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    5 pounds per week is too fast. Feeling tired is an indicator of too low of a caloric intake. You should net more than 1200.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    At 230, you're probably burning around 2700 per day, so 1700 would be a loss of 2 lbs per week. As you lose weight, you may eventually get down to a point where 1200 is more ideal, since you'll be burning fewer calories.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would set your profile here to lose 1.5lbs per week and then aim to eat the goal it gives you plus 50% of your exercise calories. I did a calorie check on a few other calculators and came up with 1600-1700 to lose approx 1lb per week (which has to be adjusted every 5-10lbs lost) if your sedentary. If your active then, you will expect an even larger loss amount at 1600-1700.

It's not a healthy goal to try for 60lbs by the end of august. That's about 2.5lbs per week. Safe weight loss is 1 to 2 lbs per week.

If you aim for 1.5lbs per week, then by the end of August, you will be over halfway to your 60lb loss goal.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At 230, you're probably burning around 2700 per day, so 1700 would be a loss of 2 lbs per week. As you lose weight, you may eventually get down to a point where 1200 is more ideal, since you'll be burning fewer calories.

Who says she is burning 2700?

I am 5.5
    My start weight was 260 pounds ( lost almost 75 pounds in 5 months now)
    49 years old and my maintenance level is around 1882 calories

I agree she should eat at least 1200 calories ( or higher)

But dont agree with 2700 burning a day. Can be lower for all you know.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I am 5.5

To be fair, you are more than twice her age (which means a slower metabolism) and that is your maintenance now- it was a lot more 75 lbs ago.

OP, I plugged your stats into a TDEE calculator and your BMR is 1870 calories a day. That's how many calories you'd need if you were in a coma. I wouldn't recommend eating below that number, it's not sustainable.
  • BWBTrish
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

I am 5.5

To be fair, you are more than twice her age (which means a slower metabolism) and that is your maintenance now- it was a lot more 75 lbs ago.

OP, I plugged your stats into a TDEE calculator and your BMR is 1870 calories a day. That's how many calories you'd need if you were in a coma. I wouldn't recommend eating below that number, it's not sustainable.

Still if you use scooby's calculator than you get around 1900

My maintenance is tested in a lab and was 1882 when i started. so at 260 pounds

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

[
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

I am 5.5

Still if you use scooby's calculator than you get around 1900

My maintenance is tested in a lab and was 1882 when i started. so at 260 pounds

Did you plug in her number or yours? Her BMR is 1870, TDEE is around 2300 from Scooby's.

I'm not doubting the veracity of your numbers, but they don't apply to the OP who is less than half your age and therefore has a much faster metabolism. She can and should eat more than 1200 calories, since she's only been at it for 5 days and she feels tired.
  • BWBTrish
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hers
    And 2300 is still not 2700 what was told here in the post

And yes i said she should eat more than 1200 too. I only dont agree with that high number of 2700
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    hers
    And 2300 is still not 2700 what was told here in the post

He said "probably", which I'm going to gather was just a guess. Not too far off all things considered. Someone else actually plugged in her numbers, you can un-ruffle the feathers.
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    I eat about 1800 calories a day but i burn 700 with exercise and I loose weight just fine. It really depends on how active you are being and the main thing is not to starve yourself of nutrients.
  • coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started out similar to you. 221, 5'6". You are deff eating too few calories to start with, and the deficiency might actually make it harder to lose weight. Not because of plateaus or "starvation mode," but because you aren't getting the vitamins and minerals you need, and some of those are actually really important to weight loss. For example, a calcium deficiency really affects fat cells.

Losing weight really fast is also going to give you the saggy skin, and while I know you're really eager, trust me, it's better to go slow and healthy.

So, you need to do a few things. You need to calculate your BMR. This will tell you the minimal amount of calories your body is burning a day. Most professionals suggest starting here, and cutting 100 calories at a time, until no more than 2 lbs a week is a achieved. Taping will help you get more input. I really like this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

You can also use the built in calculator. Because we're starting out in Obese, we can safely do the 2 lbs a week goal, but don't push it.

It's a long trip, but I promise, it's worth doing it right. I'm never hungry, I'm never tired, For your age and height, that is really too low! Your brain is still growing, you might even still be growing, and you could be hurting yourself.

If you're at college, your school will have a dietitian. Look them up, make an appointment, and get some help planning this. Especially with your history. In the meantime, get that BMR and up those calories.
  • sunlovdove445
    Options
    Hi! I started out similar to you. 221, 5'6". You are deff eating too few calories to start with, and the deficiency might actually make it harder to lose weight. Not because of plateaus or "starvation mode," but because you aren't getting the vitamins and minerals you need, and some of those are actually really important to weight loss. For example, a calcium deficiency really affects fat cells.

Losing weight really fast is also going to give you the saggy skin, and while I know you're really eager, trust me, it's better to go slow and healthy.

So, you need to do a few things. You need to calculate your BMR. This will tell you the minimal amount of calories your body is burning a day. Most professionals suggest starting here, and cutting 100 calories at a time, until no more than 2 lbs a week is a achieved. Taping will help you get more input. I really like this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

You can also use the built in calculator. Because we're starting out in Obese, we can safely do the 2 lbs a week goal, but don't push it.

It's a long trip, but I promise, it's worth doing it right. I'm never hungry, I'm never tired, For your age and height, that is really too low! Your brain is still growing, you might even still be growing, and you could be hurting yourself.

If you're at college, your school will have a dietitian. Look them up, make an appointment, and get some help planning this. Especially with your history. In the meantime, get that BMR and up those calories.

Saggy skin!? Oh dear. I will definitely look into the BMR and change my calorie intake levels. Thanks for this extremely helpful post!
  • sunlovdove445
    Options
    Would anyone here recommend using measurements instead of the scale? What are the benefits to measuring?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Would anyone here recommend using measurements instead of the scale? What are the benefits to measuring?

A food scale is more accurate

watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • sunlovdove445
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Oh, this would be for weighing yourself.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Measuring is another indicator of progress other than just whatever the scale says. I do both. I weigh myself every Sunday and measure on the 1st of every month.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Oh, this would be for weighing yourself.

I recommend both, keep records with lots of data points so you can watch trends. Also take some "before" and "in progress" photos.

Often when the numbers on the scale stay put for a few weeks, you can see results still happening in photos and measuring tapes. It helps keep your determination up.

Oh, and please, don't set a goal-by-deadline. "Finish Line" deadlines imply that there is a time when healthy living is "over." There is a start, there are improvements and progress...and changing priorities (switching from weight loss to maintenance or recomp, for example) but, there is no finish. You're never "done" and you never "go back to normal" if you see normal as the habits that got you to 230.