Broke through a plateau!

Options
It only took a year and half!

I've been struggling with trying to get back to 220 pounds for over a year. I have logged on to mfp for 27 days straight and I hit 218 this morning! I still have a long way to go, but I am out of Extreme (or Morbid) Obesity range and I am now Simply Obese. Which isn't anything to brag about, but an accomplishment all the same.

As I work towards my next goal, I am a little scared. I haven't been at this weight since July 2010.

So many thoughts and emotions right now. I'm scared that I can't keep it off. 5 years ago, I weighed 213, which was my lowest weight in years. I'm almost at 213 again. That's when I stopped losing weight for a few reasons.

Everyone was noticing that I was losing weight.

I was getting advice from all over, even though what I was doing was working.

My boss told me that maybe 213 was where my body wanted to be.

I had a huge late night discussion with some friends about losing weight. Two friends of mine went back and forth for hours about how to lose weight.

For some reason, those two things, my boss' comments and my friends' debate - really derailed me. I gained back a lot of weight I had lost.

This time is different. I have a plan and it's working, and I like it. I'm not starving myself - I even ate at Chevy's on Friday, and had a glass of wine. I like my workout routines. I actually like running.

So, when people give me advice, I'm going to smile and say "thank you" and keep doing my thing!

Replies

• inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How odd that what you were doing was working, yet everyone felt you needed an intervention. And, I think moving out of one classification to another is great! It's like moving from XXL to XL -- just that much closer to no X! Have a great day!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what works for you. The problem with weight loss and 'dieting' is that it really needs to be embraced by the individual. If you cannot make certain changes to fit your lifestyle then it will not work long term anyway so kudos to you for realizing that and finding your own way.
    Joe q Public really isn't very informed about the realities of weight loss anyway. Far too many myths are out there. Keep reading, keep learning and way to go!
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So ha
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So happy for you. You should be very proud of yourself and they will be your motivation to keep going. Remember lots of people have opinions but you are doing this for yourself and being healthy is the best gift you will ever give yourself!!! Keep up the great work
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    That is HUGE! I totally understand the milestones. I'm 4 pounds from being overweight instead of obese and it's taking an immense effort to get there. I expect no less of a "struggle" to go from overweight to normal. But it is sooooo worth it.

55835802.png
  • Photograhicsoul
    Photograhicsoul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That's great! Breaking through plateau is hard whether you're overweight or obese or slim or anything. Losing weight isn't like magazines make it out to be, 3 week quick things with exact plan to follow to the dot...It's very individual. I couldn't get the will to lose weight (even while not liking myself and insisting I have to lose weight) until I started dancing and found in it something that made me want to exercise, and put the work in, and not feel like I am torturing myself constantly. Keep going.
    :)
    p.s. with any huge thing happening in your life, there will be people that will want to talk about it, and people that will want to avoid talking; people who support you and people who can't see how you can do it; there will be people that will give you good, and bad, and useless advice; don't attach yourself to any of it, just listen, and figure out what is good advice and good support, and ignore anything else. you don't need anyone else to believe you can do this, other than yourself.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I totally understand! I just realized today that I am only 15 pounds away from being merely overweight instead of obese. And when I started last year I was morbidly obese. So heck yes. Passing these stages r thrilling. Congratulations!!!