On the Pill - Appetite

Options
Any ladies on a birth control pill and finding their appetites increase? It's driving me nuts! The benefits are clear: my complexion is great, I don't have to worry about unplanned pregnancy and I can predict my period. The downside is that I'm always hungry! I read that any increase in appetite should be temporary and that The Pill "making you gain weight" is a myth, that it's about your appetite and ability to resist cravings. Did anyone else overcome this obstacle??

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My appetite only increases around the beginning of my period. I try to exercise a little more because I know I will want to eat more!
  • mldrown
    mldrown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for the better part of 13 years. I've never noticed a weight gain or an increased appetite because of it. But I've always been active so my appetite is always crazy haha -
  • adge1475
    adge1475 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been off and on the pill for the last six years (medical reasons). Yes, I undoubtedly believe being on the pill increases my appetite. I hate it. I have no science to back this up with; that's just my experience.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I just started my pill a week ago. I'm used to getting my first meal in around 430-5pm every day (I work weird hours), and right now it's 4pm now and I am absolutely ravenous (and I've been fighting the hunger for around a half hour now). I don't know if maybe it's just a fluke for today or not, but I usually can handle not eating for just a bit longer. I think after I'm done with this post I'm going to hop off to the cafeteria.

I do remember this from the last time I was on the pill, and eventually you don't feel extra hungry anymore once your body adjusts to it. At least, that's my experience.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I started the pill 7 years ago; in the two years after that, I lost two stone, so I think it affects different women differently and just because it may make you more peckish that doesn't mean you have to consume more calories, which is what will cause weight gain ultimately.

On the flip side, I think what helped me lose weight just after I started taking it was that with my period being much lighter, shorter and less painful, I was able to exercise a lot more. Try not to focus on the potential weight gain/appetite increase TOO much; I think sometimes this can have a bit of a reverse-placebo, self-fulfilling prophecy effect - "the Pill makes you gain weight and there's nothing I can do". Not saying this is necessarily your outlook OP, but I can think of a few of my friends where this definitely applies so just thought I'd mention it.
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My appetite EXPLODES a few days before my period, and slowly(very) goes back to normal toward the end of it. I've been on the pill for about 2 years now, and while this didn't happen very often at the start, after a year or so it's pretty much the norm for me now.
    I'm not the best at trying to curb the hunger, either. I've tried keeping myself busy, i've tried downing a bunch of water to achieve that "full" feeling(to be honest this has NEVER worked for me at all. Ever), i've even tried doing some exercise, but my body is very strong on making me feel very, and highly uncomfortable when it wants something.
    Getting ravenously hungry at the most uncomfortable time to exercise.. it's a challenge, that's for sure.
    Best of luck to you with it!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have days where I'm going to eat my own arm off- but I don't think it's Pill related- I think that's just the way the body naturally works.
    - I've been on it for so long I couldn't tell you- I also am hard and fast believer in numbers- so my body doesn't get to boss my around- I pretty much just go- nope you ate enough- you're done (although- it sucks a lot.)
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There are different types of birth control pills. Which type are you on? Monophasic? Triphasic? Progestin only? they effect the body in different ways. I've taken a monophasic pill for 5+ years with no adverse effects on my body composition or appetite.
  • plaidbear47
    plaidbear47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hmm something to look into thank you!
  • madababanas
    madababanas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for 6 or 7 years i believe and i couldnt remember how it was at first.
    But i do have this crazy cravings 2 or 3 days before i get my period.
    But to be honest i have put a lot of thought into it and yes, it could be the hormones but it could also be a placebo effect.
    I mean, my SO already knows he should handle me with extra care and eventually buy me some chips and chocolate but it could be just the fact that we got used to not feeling guilty after eating 2 scoops of ice cream well just because "its my hormones, i cant control it".
    Its just my opinion and ofc he will never know whether its my hormones or just a need to be super spoiled for a few days.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps: oral contraceptives stimulate basal metabolic rate, in some randomized studies up to 5%. So, with a higher BMR, it only makes sense that your appetite will increase...

(SEE: Diffey, B., Piers, L. S., Soares, M. J., & O'dea, K. (1997). The effect of oral contraceptive agents on the basal metabolic rate of young women. British Journal of Nutrition, 77(06), 853-862.)
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It didn't make me gain weight at all, but it definitely caused me a bunch of health problems and just didn't work for me, which sucks because actually getting a period was awesome. Actually, it caused my mother a lot of problems, too. Maybe it's something in our genes.
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    No problems with appetite increase when I started (it may depend on the particular pill you are using). I actually had a decrease in appetite for the first couple weeks and then first few days on the actual hormone pills.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill 6 years... I'm not sure if its what caused an increased appetite, but I'm almost always hungry.
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Yes I did notice this when I started on the pill again a few months ago. It's calmed down for me now but for the first few weeks I felt ravenous.

I also lift and had increased the weight around that time too though. It is possible the increased appetite was also due to that.

I've never experienced weight gain due to the pill. I mean, not significant weight gain at least.
  • kaylalewis2323
    kaylalewis2323 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for about 7 years. My appetite increases right before my period starts every time! For some reason I never stay satisified! I just let myself have a little bit more a day and make sure I excerise longer those days. It may sound silly but it works for me:)
  • ashliij
    ashliij Posts: 54
    Options
    What pill are you taking? I look like I'm experiencing puberty again, lol. Clear skin.. that would be amazing. At least I have regular periods now.
    I've been on several since I was 15. I've never really had a change in appetite - at least not from the pill, as far as I can tell. You could also attribute it to mood disorders or stress; I suppose it's hard to pinpoint its origin without seeing a doc.
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, I had birth control inserted into to my arm. It was like this fan under the skin that released hormones and was good for five years. I got so FAT in about three months after that I had to go back and have it removed. Now I take pills and have no problems. I take them along with my thyroid meds. I find that if I eat too many carbs or exercise too much, I'm hungry, but other than that the pill is fine.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have been on the pill for about six months. For the first three, my appetite did feel increased. I also get like that the week before my cycle starts. It's probably hormone fluctuations causing the appetite increase. I've been on and off the pill before, so I knew that it just needed time to even out. After the first three months, it has been wonderful. Regular periods, clearer skin, very few and lighter cramps, no back pain, and I don't become a total emotional wreck the week before my period.